Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Apple Watch cannot adjust volume

Solved!

Apple Watch cannot adjust volume

Plan: Premium

Device: iPhone 11 Pro, Apple Watch Series 5

Operating System: iOS 14.2, WatchOS 7.1

My Question or Issue

While listening with AirPods, I can control song playback but cannot adjust volume using the watch. I have confirmed that with Apple's music or podcasts apps, I am still able to adjust the volume with the watch, this is only an issue with Spotify.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey there @amuzik,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation 🙂

Can you try to redownload the app to see if the issue persists?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

View solution in original post

62 Replies

Hi there @amuzik,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community!

We'd like to look into this further. Could you tell us when did this start, and if you can still adjust the volume through your phone?

We'll be on the lookout for your reply. 

Thanks. 

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Alex,

Thanks for the response. This started after updating my watch to OS 7.1. I had updated my phone to 14.2 a few days prior and didn't notice an issue, so I think the problem is probably with the watch app. I can still adjust the volume using the physical buttons on the phone.

Edit: Also worth mentioning that I can still pause/play/skip on the watch app. Just using the crown to try to adjust volume appears to be the problem.

Marked as solution

Hey there @amuzik,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation 🙂

Can you try to redownload the app to see if the issue persists?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator

Hi Jeremy,

I noticed today that I now appear to be able to control the volume again via the Watch. I did not re-install the app or anything, so I'm not certain why it would suddenly start working again. Perhaps something related to the connection, or the app not being closed properly. Thanks for the suggestion!

Hey there @amuzik,

Thank you for your reply.

It's really good to hear that everything works as it should for you again 🙂

If you have any questions we're always one reply away.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator

Hi I just hit this same issue where I couldn’t adjust the song volume while listening to Spotify on my iWatch (I have the very latest watch and software plus an 11 Max iPhone with latest software).  I did re-install the Spotify app on my watch and it did fix the issue.  Just thought it would be good to mention.  Thank you 

This has not been solved as of Sep 4 2021

Thanks

sm

Hey @smashkirk,

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Community!

Can you confirm if you already tried the suggestions that @Jeremy and @Bretor mentioned above? Those worked for other users who were experiencing this issue.

Keep us posted.

CarlosEModerator

I have the same problem that the volume on the watch is not adjustable and it's not solved after deleting and reinstalling the Spotify App to the Watch.

Hey @phildumb,

Thanks for the post.

Can you let us know the model and OS version of your watch? Also, tell us if this started happening recently or has been like that from the start.

Cheers.

AlexModerator

The model is Series 6. It started happening recently for seemingly no reason, but since I upgraded to OS 8 the volume adjustment seems to work again for now (knock on wood).

Hey @phildumb,

Thanks for letting us know that everything is working fine now.

Don't hesitate to give us a shout if you have more questions.

Have a great day!

MafeGModerator

I have the same issue as others in this thread. I can’t control AirPod pro volume from Apple Watch 6 using the crown when playing Spotify from IPad Air 4. The pause, skip forward and skip back functions all work. When connected to iPhone 12 all functions work properly. The watch is on OS 8, the tablet and phone are both on OS 15. I have already done a clean reinstall of Spotify on both tablet and phone. I have also deleted and reinstalled Spotify on the watch. I have also deleted and reinstalled the Airpods on all devices. None of this has worked. Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks!

Hi @Mtbmillsy,

Thank you for posting on this thread!

Since we're dealing with 3 devices here, your case is slightly different. In this case, we suggest you take a look at this thread on the Apple support forum, it covers multiple alternatives and settings you can try in order to get the volume to work through your watch while being connected to a second device. 

Please give them a try and let us know if they result useful for you.

The Community is here for you. 

MafeGModerator

Hello, the problem does reoccur after some days after the Spotify watch app was reinstalled. All other UI elements working as before. Only the volume changer not. Thanks 

watch 4, all uptodate. 

Hi there @Med32x,

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Community.

Can you list all the troubleshooting steps mentioned in this thread that you've already tried? This is so we don't repeat ourselves and know what else we could try.

We'll be on the lookout.

CarlosEModerator

I can tell you what worked for me, what i did was this had trouble with low volume on your Apple Watch speaker. Here are some steps you can try to fix it:-

Basic Checks:-

1. Volume Settings:- Make sure the volume is turned up on your Apple Watch. Open the Settings app, scroll down and tap Sounds & Haptics. Check the slider for the overall volume and make sure it's at the maximum level.
2. Specific App Settings:- If the issue is only with specific apps, check their individual notification settings on your iPhone. Open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone, go to My Watch, tap Sounds & Haptics, and adjust the volume for each app.
3. Restart Devices:- Sometimes, a simple restart can fix glitches. Restart both your iPhone and Apple Watch.

Advanced Troubleshooting:-

1. Software Update:- Make sure your Apple Watch and iPhone are updated to the latest software versions. Updates often include bug fixes that can improve audio performance.
2. Reset Apple Watch:- If none of the above steps work, consider resetting your Apple Watch to factory settings. This will erase all your data and settings, so back up your watch before proceeding.

Follow for more details informatics assistance below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jf-PHab_3A&ab_channel=TheGeekPage

February 2024 and latest iOS version 8.9.16.556 has broken volume control completely. Totally unresponsive.

Do your QA people not do regression testing?

Yes, I have done a full reinstall of both phone and watch apps and restarted them.

Experiencing the same issue (once again). This entire thread has been mishandled and the initial problem has been addressed improperly. This thread remains unsolved. 

Suggested posts