Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Battery drain

Battery drain

I'm starting to experiencing an increase in battery dran from spotify.

Same amount of usage that's normally around 12-15% is now 23-25%.

Any one else experiencing this?

13 Replies

Hi!

I am a quite active user of Spotify and have percentage of 10%. (to my surprise, WhatsApp consumes more!)

I have to say that allmost all songs that I listen are synced to my device. Streaming songs makes continiously use of your data connection. If you don't have any songs made availible offline, you might get your battery usage down by making your most frequently played songs/playlists availible offline. (if you haven't done allready)

If this is not the case there might be something wrong in the app on your device. It could help to delete the app and thereafter re-install. 

Let us know if this works (or not)!

What's a Spotify Rock Star?

Hey Ollvid,

There are a bunch of different factors that contribue to reduced battery life.

Firstly, I wanted to acknowledge Ivan92's post and agree that listening to music that's been synced offline consumes far less battery than streaming.

Secondly, which model iPhone do you currently have? A lot of your battery performance depends on the age of the device and previous care of your device's battery.

My current phone is the iPhone 5s, but I use my old iPhone 4s as my "Spotify iPod." It has no cellular service connection, but I sync music to it via wi-fi for offline listening. I started noticing reduced battery life on my 4s while using Spotify (even though the music was synced offline).

I found some helpful advice here: https://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/

Lastly, another way of saving on data/bandwidth and battery life is to select Normal under the Music Quality settings menu. Selecting High or Extreme will be a heavier processing/data/battery load.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

// Jon

It seems that my screen lights up everytime i lower or increase the volume, even with my headset. I don't think it's supposed to do this, am I right?
I'm using an iPhone 5. Not jailbroken

I think you're right, your screen shouldn't be lighting up if you're adjusting the volume using the volume buttons while your screen is locked... that is strange.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what would be causing that.

// Jon

Ok, this is weird..
I re-installed the app and it seems to work fine. But after just a little bit of use, the screen lights BUT ONLY when pressing volume up on the headset.

Haha, well hey, even if we don't know why it works, I'm glad it's [almost] back to normal. I'll poke around and see if there's any help for the screen issue... but I'm glad you're back up and running.

Cheers,

// Jon

I can confirm that this behaviour also occura on my iPhone 5s at work.
I would also say that this might have started with the update april 20th. It did not do this in earlier versions

It might be related to the EU volume limit regulation.
When the volume slider reaches the yellow/red dots while increasing the volume then the screen lights up.

Good point!
That sucks tho. darn EU...

I've been testing for a while now and Spotify has increased the battery drain a lot. Low usage shows 27% and normal usage is about 35%.
PLEASE have a look at this!

Just bought a new Battery for my iPhone 5 just because my Battery lost its power very quickly.
But with this new Battery the battery drain still continues. But even a bit slower 😕 (the old battery got 55 percent capacity).

Then i noticed Spotify has "background actions" so i turned this off.
Yesterday i did not start Spotify (this was my hardest day) and 5 pm i still gut 70% power - never had so much battery power at this time.
Today i disabled the mobile internet connection for Spotify and choose "offline mode".
I got 70% at 12 noon.
Yes - Spotify still is even more hungry than the Apple own music player and even more hungry than "tuneIn" Internet radio App - but at the moment the drain is better (slower) than before.
AND: I always play offline songs. Just at home i am streaming with wlan.

I dont want to become a "best-practice-battery-nerd".
I just want to use my iPhone and listen to music without searching for external power to fill up my battery.
so sad.

ScreenshotScreenshot

I have an iPhone 5c on iOS 9.2.1 and also experience weird battery drain because of Spotify. 

This is a screenshot I took today. In the last 24 hours, I downloaded 2 albums and played them. 5,4h background usage and yet 53% impact on battery. Weird. 

My guess is the codec that Spotify is using (Opus) is the culprit. The iPhone SoC is probably optimized for AAC and MP3 but not Opus.

My JBL mini speaker cleverly allows me to plug my iphone into it while playing music thus charging speaker and phone simultaneously. Fine for when I am playing a whole album. I have the same problem as you with MAC battery bleeding away.

Suggested posts