Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't sync local files to iPhone

Solved!

Can't sync local files to iPhone

I've tried looking for answers for a couple of hours on this forum and all over online, but I can't find any solutions and I'm getting frustrated.

Basically, it seems to be a pretty common issue but I can't find a fix.  When I make a playlist on my desktop with songs from Spotify mixed with local files, the Spotify songs will appear on my phone but the local files appear greyed-out and unplayable on my mobile.

The root issue seems to be that desktop client isn't recognizing my mobile under 'Devices' even when they're both logged into the same account.  I have even tried changing network settings to no avail.  If I was able to have the client recognize my iPhone and then sync, I believe the local files would show up the phone.

If anyone has any ideas that have worked for them, please share.  I am currently under my free-trial period and will cancel before the 30 days unless I can get a fix for this.

70 Replies

Exactly the same problem for me, have tried every solution on here and nothing has worked. HELP. Incredibly angry.

Hi everyone. I tried what Mahmoodsab recommended with one added step. I'm using my desktop through my laptops wifi and it worked on my laptop, not my desktop (makes sense). Along with checking public in "allow a program or feature through the firewall", I scrolled down to the bottom and checked public and private for "Wireless Portable Devices".

After doing this and switching over to my laptop, my iphone appeared under devices and all local files synced

Hope that helps

Hey guys,

After weeks of trying to sort out my spotify account i realized that the reason my music was not syncing is simply because i did not have enough momory on my spotify so i deleted some playlists and some songs started to sync. After a while it5 stop and still some songs were not synced.. i then went too update some other apps on  my ipod and a message box came up and told me i did not have enough momory on my ipod too update... i mean come on we all have apps we dont ALWAYS use right ? so i deleted most of the apps that were useless too me personally and i then went on too my spotify account and all my songs were syncing perfectly fine 😄 so i think it all has to do with the memory storage on your ipod/iphone.

Same with me.  It used to be so easy and now I can't do it either.  I pay for premium and now it is failing me.  I use it offline to exercise and now I have to leave it online and phone calls and texts pause my music.  Completely annoying.  AND I repeat I AM PAYING PREMIUM.

SUCCESS!!!

I was having the same issue... It finally worked for me if I did not connect to my MacbookPro with a cable. Connecting with WiFi started my local sync immediately.

Spotify should fix the cable issue...

NOW I CAN GO TO THE GYM!

SUCCESS!!!

I was having the same issue... It finally worked for me if I did not connect to my MacbookPro with a cable. Connecting with WiFi started my local sync immediately.

Spotify should fix the cable issue...

Now i can go to the gym!!

Wow, been having this problem myself since opening a premium account and just couldn't figure out why my iphone and ipad wouldn't sync. Finally, something occured to me and I gave it a shot. I sync with my work laptop, and at the office I'm docked to the network - I knew that wouldn't work and have been trying to sync while at home with all devices connected to my home wireless network. However, I'm always connected to VPN at home so that my work applications are connected and functioning. Just tried disconnecting from the vpn a few minutes ago, and within moments Spotify recognized my devices! Everything synced just fine. I guess it just couldn't figure out where to look (the local network or vpn). So, another possiblity for those of you who may be using vpn - try disconnecting vpn and see if spotify can now find your devices.

Cheers all...

I wish they would re-add syncing by cable. In the old spotify client you didn't have to connect using wifi, usefull because my desktop isn't wifi enabled.  When I need to add songs from local (Beatles and American Bands not added on Swedish Spotify) I need to transfer the physical file to my laptop only for it to be buggy and not work 99% of the time.

Hi! If it still dont work for you try to both check if your computers firewall is blocking Spotify. I use the program Norton Internet security. And when check the firewall there and its was on AUTO for Spotify. But when i changed to "Allow" it start to work 🙂

Hope this mayby work.

Marked as solution

I use the program "Norton Internet secutiry", and when i checked the firewall Status there it was set to be "Auto". But when i changed from "Auto" to "Allow", i found my Iphone under device. So try to check if you use some type om Security that still block Spotify.

Hope this help someone!

@Nordis90 wrote:

I use the program "Norton Internet secutiry", and when i checked the firewall Status there it was set to be "Auto". But when i changed from "Auto" to "Allow", i found my Iphone under device. So try to check if you use some type om Security that still block Spotify.

Hope this help someone!

Thanks for sharing this 🙂 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

This is ridiculous. I have tried every solution. Including changing my firewall settings. It did nothing. I am growing incredibly sick of this ._.

Found something that worked for me. I deleted my WiFi network from my iPhone and re-entered the password again. Suddenyl, it works.

What the f-

Great advice voodoohumphrey..worked for me, thanks a bunch:)

Spoiler

Try checking that your disk space is not full. This happened to me and spotify nor ios told me that there was no more space. After I freed up some space it was syncing local and offline tracks. 

Yes, it worked!

i was unable to sync my local macbook pro files to my iphone spotify app. I just figured out what the issue was. I had both my iphone app and my ipad app both logged into spotify and running on my home wifi. Once I logged out my ipad app, my macbook spotify app suddenly detected my iphone, and I could sync!!

I am having the same problem. Since spotify doesn't have a mixtape library (which it should by now...) I have to sync the music I download for free online into my local files and then onto my phone (through wifi, which shouldn't be the only option considering how slow wifi can be...). This was working fine until I got a new phone and had to sync all of my music at once. None of the local files transferred automatically so I tried manually selecting the playlists one by one, and that didn't work. Finally I tried creating a brand new playlist and added all of my local files--about 125--to that and synced it manually. This time, only some of the songs transferred. All of the songs have the green arrow next to them that would normally indicate that it has downloaded, but when I click on the song to play it, I get the "track not synced" error message. To add insult to injury, spotify seems to be the only company in existence without a hotline to call and ask for help from a human being. Please help! 

This solved my problem, thank you so very much! 

Any Suggestions for Mac Users?

Suggested posts