Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Daily mixes are not updating

Solved!

Daily mixes are not updating

Plan

Free

Country

United States 

Device

iPhone Xr

Operating System

iOS 12.4

My Question or Issue

This is the second time this has happened. My daily mixes have had the same songs for about 3 weeks. The first time the daily mixes locked it took 2 weeks for them to update. I've logged out of my account I've tried restarting my phone I've deleted Spotify and nothing is working. Is there any way I can fix this problem? Thanks.

Edit: I’ve also noticed that songs that I have blocked on Spotify are unhidden within the hour.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

There is a clear cache button under storage in the settings. Clearing the cache made my daily mixes update the next day

View solution in original post

27 Replies

Hi, I had the same problem recently. All 6 of my Daily Mixes were not updating on my main page on my phone. When I searched for Made For You section, they were updated there, but I couldn't open them. 

Here's a link to the thread we were talking about it: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoing-Issues/Daily-Mixes-Don-t-Refresh-Change-or-Update/idc-p/475...

Currently it's fixed for me, but it took really long time until they did anything. 

I used this contact form that time Spotify fixed it for me: https://support.spotify.com/us/contact-spotify-support/

Previously I contacted them through Twitter and Facebook, but all they did there was told me to wait. 

@Emilia_8 wrote:

Hi, I had the same problem recently. All 6 of my Daily Mixes were not updating on my main page on my phone. When I searched for Made For You section, they were updated there, but I couldn't open them. 

Here's a link to the thread we were talking about it: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoing-Issues/Daily-Mixes-Don-t-Refresh-Change-or-Update/idc-p/475...

Currently it's fixed for me, but it took really long time until they did anything. 

I used this contact form that time Spotify fixed it for me: https://support.spotify.com/us/contact-spotify-support/

Previously I contacted them through Twitter and Facebook, but all they did there was told me to wait. 

Thanks I’ll follow the thread you linked

So talking to Spotify support and having my account refreshed did nothing. If you are having the same problem as me I’d just recommend getting a new Spotify account and transferring all of your liked songs there. Unless you have a lot of songs liked, then it’s good luck to you.

I created new account before it was fixed for me, but the new account wasn't working either. 

And when you create a new account, you lose all your listening data, meaning e.g. you will not get an accurate wrapped playlist. It will take into consideration only the songs you listened to on the new account. 

@Emilia_8 wrote:

I created new account before it was fixed for me, but the new account wasn't working either. 

And when you create a new account, you lose all your listening data, meaning e.g. you will not get an accurate wrapped playlist. It will take into consideration only the songs you listened to on the new account. 

I only had about 100 songs liked on my account (in a last ditch effort to update my playlists I unliked about 300) so I just took screenshots of all of them and liked them on my new account. I’m only going to permanently use this account if the previous one doesn’t update. 

I was not talking about liked songs and library. 

But I'm happy it worked for you. 

Marked as solution

There is a clear cache button under storage in the settings. Clearing the cache made my daily mixes update the next day

oh well, what worked then does not work now for me.  I cleared the cache and I still have the same songs in my daily mixes.  I also killed the app to force a restart, no change.

Hey @jamestom,

Thanks for getting in touch with us. 

The troubleshooting steps you've tried so far are very good. We'd like to add a few more.

We'd suggest you give these steps a go and run a clean reinstall. Here are also steps for restarting the device. 

If that doesn't do the trick, it's a good idea to try on another device. That way we can see if it's a device-related issue.

Let us know how it goes. If you have questions, don't hesitate to reach out to us.

Ver Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I don't mean to be ornery but, honestly, how could it be an issue with a particular client if you see the same problem in all of them (desktop, mobile, web interface)?

Doesn't that suggest something is wrong on one of your servers albeit maybe specifically for individual accounts? With the logic that refreshes our mixes daily in your database?

That logic isn't running locally on my devices, is it?

I'm happy to try steps but these troubleshooting steps are very time consuming and don't seem likely to solve the problem. Are there not logs or queries your engineers can run to discover why a particular user's daily mix "routine" is failing/not running?

Hey @saintsGrad15,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community.

We understand where you're coming from and thanks for your feedback. However, we need to make sure that the app has no residual cache that may affect its performance.

In case you haven't tried it, we’d first recommend trying a clean reinstall of the app. If the issue persists, could you try it on a different device? This would be very helpful to have a better look. 

Keep us posted.

OscarDCModerator

Thank you for your response, @OscarDC.

I'll change my tact a bit. I'll try those steps on my laptop and my mobile soon.

Forget about the "apps" for now. How would your suggestions changes if I told you that my Daily Mixes have also not refreshed in the browser app? (Hypothetical though that may have sounded, it's true.)

There is nothing to reinstall, I've cleared the browser cache, logged out and back in, tried the site in multiple browsers (Chrome and Firefox) and quit and restarted said browsers.

What would you have me try next?

Thanks in advance.

Hi @saintsGrad15,

Thanks for going through the above steps.

It's possible that the algorithm simply cannot find new content to suggest to the mixes, based on your current usage of the app. The best way to alleviate being in a situation like this is to branch out from your listening habits. Maybe find a couple of new albums you enjoy and listen to them. Ensure that private session is not turned on and that you're listening from primary devices directly, like the desktop or mobile apps, not something that relies more on our API (like the web player, smart speakers, etc.).

It's also worth noting that the playlist may be updating, it's just that the updates may be subtle. For example, 2-3 songs can change, but it is normal for the majority of tracks to remain the same, unless there's really an extreme shift in listening habits and new data.

We'd suggest making a note of the tracks and coming back to the playlists after listening some more and check if there's any difference.

Let us know how it goes.

Take care.

YordanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Ok. Those are good suggestions.

FWIW, it's definitely been the same tunes for track 1 of each of my 6 "Daily Mix" playlists for a week or two. That seems suspicious. And a full halt of updates would be even more so. I've been listening for years and, while the playlists have done their job of staying in their lanes, they've at least changed the songs around, with fewer changes to the artists.

I'll keep a close eye on the full playlists first, if I find them unchanged, I'll try branching out. I hear Celine Dion is lovely...

I'll report back here if I can prove they haven't moved an inch for a week or more.

That's interesting to hear that API usage doesn't affect my listening profile, if I heard you right. That explains why my kids constantly playing the Encanto soundtrack on Google home hasn't dominated my profile. Phew!

Thanks for all your help!

There is definitely something technical going on with the Daily Mixes now.  I have been listening for years on the Web Player at work and they were always very good - usually the breakdown would be something like 60% songs I <3, 30% songs I have played before (and probably like) but don't have a heart, and 10% brand new songs.  I thought this was a good mix.  But now something weird's happening.

The Daily Mixes always "feature" three major artists (e.g. a list featuring Disturbed, System of a Down, Korn) but inside the list they only play ONE song from those featured artists (and lately it's always the same song) at the beginning and the rest of the list is a lot of "mid-level" bands with 1/10 the listeners, and those bands get 4-5 songs each!  It's bizarre.  And now the mix of songs is something like 25% heart songs, 70% non-heart but played before songs, 5% brand new songs, with much less songs being replaced in the list each time.  Also it seems like they will only play songs that are in the artist's "top 10" which probably explains why those never seem to change - it's a self-reinforcing loop.

I should mention that I don't just play the Daily Mixes, I have 100+ regular playlists that typically focus on 1-2 bands, and a couple other playlists that feature a bunch of different bands, but these don't seem to be influencing the Mixes.  It's always been a little frustrating that the only thing you can do is skip past songs and hope the algorithm notices.  I hope whatever technical issues are going on can be resolved.

Hey folks,

Thank you for your replies here. 

Just wanted to pop in and share with you a post marked as solution for a similar situation discussed in a thread here. I've given a more detailed explanation there, on how the updating of your Daily Mixes works.

Also keep in mind that when exploring and adding new songs or artists to your faves, you could expect them to start appearing in your personalized On Repeat / Repeat Rewind and Daily Mix playlists, a week or three later 🙂

Hope you'll find this info also useful. Don't hesitate to give us a shout if there's anything else we can help with.

Kiril Moderator

For crying out loud. How many posts about Daily Mix lists not refreshing do you have to receive before you will finally admit there is a problem at your end Spotify. You sound like a political party blaming everyone else for your shortcomings. I have reviewed the link above but the suggestions do not help. For example, I have not accessed my daily mix lists for over 3 days at a time and they still do not refresh. Admit fault and fix the problem. We are all paying money for the Premium version and expect to get what we pay for. Don't forget there other music streaming options.

in my case i'm listening mostly to daily mixes, and one thing i noticed, playlists doesn't change, the only thing that changes is the "daily mix" number. So, a daily mix #1 tomorrow will be daily mix #6 and stuff like that... 
i would expect daily mix to be a MIX, not repeating garbage

I've had this same issue twice now. First time around it meant multiple chats with support, always asking to wait one week after going through the troubleshooting (clear cache, uninstalling app, restarting phone, installing app again!). Eventually their solution was, close your (Premium) account and create a new one! It was very annoying but fine, done. Guess what? Second account (Family) is experiencing the exact same issue. I've done all the troubleshooting steps and also contacted support, again! I refuse to close my account a third time... surely there has to be something or someone that can help fix this issue. To me, it's the exact same Daily Mixes (and any mixes under Made for You) that don't refresh, at all, on any of the devices I use: iOS (iPhone 13 Pro Max), macOS (Macbook Pro 2018) and the browser version (Chrome) -- so definitely not a device issue.

Suggested posts