Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Google Assistant with Spotify

Google Assistant with Spotify

I'd like to be able to say "Hey Google, play The Beach Boys," and have it cast onto my Sonos speakers. 

I have everything setup up in my Google home app: my Spotify account, all of the Sonos speakers, etc. But when I speak that request, I get a response that says "Sorry, it looks like you haven't set up this account on this media service provider yet."

Pandora works with my set up, but Spotify seems to be uncooperative.

Google assistant also doesn't appear in the "Voice Assistants & Apps" area. Only Amazon Alexa. See attached screenshots.

Please help!

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

(iPhone 12 Pro, iPad Pro, MacBook Pro 2021)

Operating System

(iOS 16, OS Ventura 13.0.1)

IMG_0337.PNG
IMG_0338.PNG
3 Replies

Hey @matteymann,

Thanks for posting in the Community and welcome 🙂

In this case, keep in mind, since Sonos speaker doesn't directly support voice commands to initiate playback from Spotify, you'll have to start it from your mobile device. You can select your Sonos speaker from the Connect feature list once playback has started. Once you've done, through your Google voice assistant, you can ask to play some specific song or playlist.

So, for starters, we recommend you check if your Spotify account is already linked to your Google voice assistant (this is different from your Google Home app). To check this, you can follow these steps:

1. On your Android phone, go to Assistant settings, or open the Google Assistant app and say "Assistant Settings".
  2. Scroll up and select Music.
  3. If you see Spotify there, unlinked.
  4. Once you've done that, you can try following again the steps in this article.

You can check if you successfully linked your account in Apps section on your account page. 

From the screenshots you kindly sent to us, we can see your Alexa account is not yet linked to your Spotify account. To do it, you just need to hit on Link. You can follow the steps in this article to do it.

Keep us in the loop!

AlejaRModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Thank you for the response! My Spotify is indeed linked to my Google assistant, and I am able to enjoy Spotify through the Sonos system manually that way. 

However, there was a time that I was able to use voice controls via the Google assistant to play music through Spotify, so I’m not entirely sure what you mean by the Sonos system not directly supporting that feature. I know that it’s possible since that was how things were set up initially. I’m just not certain how to establish that setup again. 

Hey @matteymann,

Thanks for the reply.

Could you try re-pairing the devices again and checking if this brings any difference? Here is a guide on how to do that. 

If this doesn't solve it, it'd be best to also reach out to Google/Sonos support for further assitance.

Hope this clears things a bit,

Cheers!

DianModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Suggested posts