Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How to clear an entire queue?

How to clear an entire queue?

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

iPhone X

Operating System

iOS 10

My Question or Issue

How do I delete an entire queue? I can only remove individual songs and I have a queue of more than 50... It's incredibly annoying and painful.

I tried the hack of removing the next to last song but it doesn't work.
I also try to play new playlists, so the queue can be erased and that doesn't work either.
Please help, I'm desperate.

Top Answer
Mihail
Spotify Legend

Hey @Sgt335,

Thanks for posting back.

We're happy to hear that the app functions as it's supposed to, even though it's not exactly how you'd like it to be. One possible workaround for your situation would be to head over to a different album and select any song from it. This should clear the queue from with currently playing one and replace it with the new one.

It's also a good idea to head over to this idea that @Alex posted and +VOTE and subscribe to it, if you haven't already. We regularly monitor your feedback and the votes for features you'd like to have implemented and report them to our developer team.

We're right here if you have any questions.

43 Replies

I figured out how to clear your queue very fast. Scroll to the bottom song and click that song. It will clear all the songs above. BOOM. 

I figured out how to clear your queue very fast. Scroll to the bottom of your queue and click the bottom song to play it. It will clear all the songs above. BOOM. 

Just attempted one of the suggested workarounds; namely go to the last track and let it play out. Seemed a good idea, except once it had finished, the queue reappeared and it went back to the first track and started all over again. Moronic or what?

Hey @Sgt335,

Thanks for posting in the Community! We're happy to have you here.

If you select the last song in the queue, the list before that shoudl get removed. Once the last song end depending on whether or not you have autoplay activated, the app should either start a radio or reset the queue and stop playback. This is expected behavior.  Could you let us know if this works as intended for you?

This Support Article explains how to toggle Aytoplay on/off. It's a good idea to restart the app once this setting has been changed to make sure that eveything is synched up.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted if you have any questions.

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi
Yes at the second time of trying, it did. But why isn’t there a simple clear the queue button?
I would like to sample other albums, if only to broaden my outlook and try other genres
But what’s the point if I have to phaff about trying to remove it in the event of an error of “taste”?

Hey @Sgt335,

Thanks for posting back.

We're happy to hear that the app functions as it's supposed to, even though it's not exactly how you'd like it to be. One possible workaround for your situation would be to head over to a different album and select any song from it. This should clear the queue from with currently playing one and replace it with the new one.

It's also a good idea to head over to this idea that @Alex posted and +VOTE and subscribe to it, if you haven't already. We regularly monitor your feedback and the votes for features you'd like to have implemented and report them to our developer team.

We're right here if you have any questions.

Mihail Moderator

Wow.

So basically... The app works like Spotify wants and that's great. Adding a button is impossible, but hey, look, there is a workaround.

Talk about LISTENING TO OUR FEEDBACK....

Wow. I have done software user interface design professionally for several years. AND. THS. IS. UNACCEPTABLE.

Spotify is the world leader in steaming music because they have great apps, business model, music selection and interface. Seeing this feature so poorly addressed is shocking.

Spotify: this sucks, and YOU KNOW IT. Fix this immediately please.

"The software I helped create is now freeware & light years beyond the crappy player your service is built upon." - With one open source developer, at a small company, a decade ago? What is it called? I am curious. Sounds like you should be making playlists with that instead of Spotify.

"If Spotify would like access to a professional level music player, contact me." - "Casual Listener", "Former Music Director", "Professional Spotify Playlist Maker"... ?

Here's a hack I use on Mac desktop:

1. Look up the following track: https://open.spotify.com/track/3gCqAxfnSNxflYodkSOiFd?si=Ci7xnKouT6iFKn8vPuNFYw
  2. Add it to a new playlist named "Clear Queue".
  3. Whenever you want to clear the queue, double-click on the playlist.

Wow, crazy that we have to come up with a hack like this to execute a
simple task, but but I am not going to let that detract from the simple
beauty of this fix. Kudos!

The queue now has a clear button.

Dies not work. Falsely reported as implemented. Maybe i need to realize they don’t really care. And i should switch to their competitor. 

come on!  This is SOOO simple. Just do it!

@Mihail: I too could not believe there was no 'clear all' and took the time to search Google for the option rather than click through an entire year of queued up items, only to find you're glad it's working as designed. We're glad you're glad, but this is a request for a new feature and I second it: please add a 'clear all' button to the queue.

Spotify is cool but this would make it cooler! Thank you and Happy New Year!

There should be an option in Settings to clear the queue when opening/closing Spotify, that shouldn't be too hard too implement?

Hey there @RoelJanssens,

Thanks for posting in the Community!

The option to clear the queue is already implemented. The button to do so automatically appears when you actually add something to the queue via the right click (on PC/Mac) or the three dot (on mobile) menu next to a song.

If the button isn't shown, your actual queue is empty and the app is just showing what the next play order will be. There is no real reason to be able to clear that as this list gets overwritten any time you play something from a different context (like starting another playlist, album, etc.). For example, if you start a playlist with 30 tracks, the current play order gets overwritten and the 30 songs from the new playlist will be shown. You will not see any other songs that follow. If you wish to stop playback earlier, you'll need to manually stop or prepare a shorter playlist to play from.

Note that the Autoplay feature will keep adding new items to the list, but you can turn that off in the app's settings to have a finite play order.

Hope this clears things up. If you have any questions or need anything else, the Community is here for you.

Kiril Moderator

I "lost" the Clear queue button on the latest update - Spotify for macOS (Intel) 1.1.77.643.g3c4c6fc6

Hi @silviamf,

Thank you for reaching out on this post! 

We've tested this from our side using a Mac and running the same app version, and found that the Clear Queue button is still there.

Could you run a clean reinstall of the app with these steps to check if that makes a difference? 

If the issue persists, can you log in with another account, such as a friend's or a family member's to see if the issue persists? Alternatively, you can create a free account here, just make sure you're logged out of your own account before creating a new one.  

Let us know how this goes.

MafeGModerator

Sorry

Ken Fougère

Because it's all about CONTROL and how they can CONTROL you, what you do, and how you do it.

Suggested posts