Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Huge data usage for the first time today

Huge data usage for the first time today

Just before leaving home today I synced a few playlists from my laptop to my iphone5. As it was taking too much time, I just left when the one I was planning to listen to showed as done with the green ribbon + white arrow. On the iphone it was indeed showing as 'Available Oflline' as expected.

However, an hour of driving later, I got an instant message from my carrier that I had nearly eaten up my data plan quota: 995MB out of 1024MB. The data consumption info shows an activity of 885MB for spotify which I make sure never to use for streaming outside of wifi coverage.

Conclusion, the app must have streamed instead of using the 'Available Offline' music.

Could this be related to the fact I did not wait until the whole syncing (of all the playlists) was done?

I would really like to avoid this again...

6 Replies

Do you have "Sync over 2G/3G" enabled in Settings > Music Quality?

Wondering did it continue to sync other playlists when you left home via the mobile network.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Hi Peter,

no I do not have the sync over 2G/3G option activated.

When I came back home, I connected again to my wifi network and the iphone continued the sync of playlists that was not finished when I left.

thanks for your suggestion,

Cheers,

Bernard.

Did you put Spotify into offline mode? I don't know whether Spotify will actually use the offline tracks if you are not actually offline (offline mode enabled in Spotify or internet unavailable), I suspect that it may give priority to streaming them online.

Spotify should always use an offline cached copy of a track if available so not sure what has happened here.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I was not in offline mode (I have not used that option in the past). Up to now, I was careful not to play tracks that were not 'available offline' and did not encounter data usage problems.

I also thought that spotify would give priority to cached music when available. Obvisouly in this case it did not work out that way for some reason...

Cheers,

Bernard.

As a security measure, I have now disabled cellular data access for spotify as I don't want to stream off 2G/3G anyway (in the iphone settings). Although offline mode is not switched on in spotify app, it does however report that I am offline when I am not connected to wifi. This should avoid further trouble.

Still annoying though that my cellular data plan is now eaten after 4 days in the current monthly cycle...

Cheers,

Bernard.

Suggested posts