Premium

Country

Canada

Device

iPhone XS Max

Operating System

iOS 15.3.1

My Question or Issue

When I listen to music with my iPhone, sometimes the song will simply stop playing after 10 seconds. This is totally random and happens with different songs.

My player will still indicate that the music is playing and that I can pause it. The progress bar on its end is frozen on the 10 sec mark.

However, when trying to pause/play the music, nothing happens.

I have to completely restart the app so that my music can resume.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @alessiino,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community!

Can you try running a clean reinstall of the app, following the Spotify Guide. This way all possibly corrupted app data will be cleared and you'll reinstall the latest app version. This might seem simple, but often fixes issues like this.

Note that you'd have to re-download your songs saved for offline listening after this.

If that doesn't solve the issue, let us know if you experience such interruptions on other devices?

Keep us posted on how you get on with this.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

View solution in original post

37 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey @alessiino,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community!

Can you try running a clean reinstall of the app, following the Spotify Guide. This way all possibly corrupted app data will be cleared and you'll reinstall the latest app version. This might seem simple, but often fixes issues like this.

Note that you'd have to re-download your songs saved for offline listening after this.

If that doesn't solve the issue, let us know if you experience such interruptions on other devices?

Keep us posted on how you get on with this.

AlexModerator

I have the same problem as alessiino

I wouldn't want to lose my PlayliSt

Hey @ReneG7,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and welcome.

The process suggested by @Alex doesn't delete the playlists, saved music, followers or other information saved in your profile. However, It will delete downloads as they're saved in the cache.

In case you haven't clean reinstall the app, give it a try with these steps.

If the issue persists, would you mind checking if it happens on a different device?

We'll be on the lookout for your next response.

OscarDCModerator

It helped me a lot to delete the application and reinstall it solved the problem, I appreciate all your support 🙏🤝

Hey @ReneG7,

Thanks for keeping us posted.

Glad to hear that it worked out and the app is running as expected again.

If you need anything else, the Community is here for you.

Ver Moderator

It seems to have worked, thanks!

I need help this had been an issue for me for years, do I need to delete my account and create a new one? I tried all what you mentioned above multiple times but still spotify only plays songs for 10 seconds and then stop, I literally hate this because I can’t listen to songs my friends share with me

Hey @user-removed,

Thanks for your reply in this thread 🙂

Can you let us know the exact make/model and OS of your device along with the Spotify version you use? Also, it’d be awesome if you share with us exactly what troubleshooting you’ve already done. This way we can recommend other alternatives. 

On another note, could you check if this is happening on a different device? It’d be awesome if you could check. 

We'll keep an eye on your response! 

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

its been 2 days since i try to listen to my Spotify. i tried reinstalling, clear my phone's storage but nothing. i wonder around the app it was fine UNTIL i press play and it will exit the app as if thats the home button 🙂 please help i need to hear to my songs 

Hey there @aisyamirah__,

Thanks for reaching out about this and welcome to the Community. 

You mentioned that you've already reinstalled the app, but would you mind going through the steps of a clean reinstall, as it's more thorough than a normal one?

If a clean reinstall using this guide didn't do the trick, there're also a few other things we can try. Can you make sure that Spotify has all necessary permissions enabled?

1. Open your Settings menu.
  2. Scroll to the bottom to find Spotify and open the app settings.
  3. Enable everything you see.

It's also a good idea to exclude the app from any Battery optimization software that might be active on your smartphone. 

Keep us posted.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

I tried reinstall but it didn't fix the issue is there another thing that could cause this?

Hi @JuanPunchMan9!

You can check if the Background App Refresh for Spotify is enabled. You can do that in your iPhone's settings > General > Background App Refresh. You might also want to check if Spotify is allowed to access your local network by going to your iPhone's settings > Privacy > Local Network.

In case the issue persists, try enabling Offline Mode from under Spotify's settings, then restart the app and deactivate it. This should force an internal resync of the app.

Let us know how it goes. Cheers!

YordanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

I’ve had the app work on my phone completely fine playing music and podcasts. But in my car on Apple CarPlay Spotify kicks out after 10 seconds. Have reinstall the app will see if it works. Super random as it’s just started last week.

If I start over, I will have to reload my song lists?

Hey @kreese1,

Thanks for the reply.

If you uninstall the app and install it again, you'll have to download the music for offline listening again, as it will be removed. Your Library is safe though and a reinstall won't change it.

Hope this clears things a bit,

Cheers!

DianModerator

iPhone 6S+, iOS 15.6.1

Clean reinstall of the app.  When I click on a song's thumbnail from the playlist builder, I get 7-10 seconds of a song, then it stops.  I can click on that song's thumbnail again, or a different song, and still get only 7-10 seconds.  Is this intentional UX behavior of Spotify, or a bug?  If it's by design, it sucks.  7-10 seconds of an artist's song isn't often enough for me to know if I like the song enough to put it on a playlist.  If it's a bug, ideas or suggestions?

Hey there @alanair

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community. 

Just to confirm, are you referring to the previews you're getting when creating a playlist and using the "Add songs" option? If so, we can confirm that it's expected behavior of the app playing only a short part of the song on that section. 

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us and will make sure to pass it onto the right team, as we always strive to improve your experience.

You can also have a look in our Idea Exchange to see if someone else has already made a similar suggestion. If there isn't one, you can give these steps a go and submit your idea so that other users can also support it. The higher the number of votes an idea gets, the more likely it is for it to be implemented.

If you need a hand with anything else, the Community is here for you. 

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

This keeps happening to me as well but I am listening on WebPlayer (through Safari), so I can't restart the app or upgrade the app. I've closed and reopened my browser as well as refreshed the page many times and still am running into this problem. Usually it resolves after closing and reopening but now I am stuck at the 10 seconds with every single song and regardless of how many times I refresh/restart. Any tips here? Thanks!

Hey @21ufjweiksuq5vjliezx,

Thank you for reaching out here in the Community!

Can you let us know if you're experiencing this using another browser? 

If a friend or a family member has a Spotify account, it's a good idea to ask them to log in on your device to see if the Web Player behaves the same way.

We'd also recommend to check if there are any pending updates for your browser. In case you find one, make sure to install it as we always suggest to keep your apps up to date with the latest version so that you don't miss out on any fixes.

Let us know how you get on! We'll be here in case you have any further questions about this.

LyubkaModerator

Suggested posts