Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Question about local files.

Solved!

Question about local files.

I've been trying to figure this out, as it's not specifically stated in the solutions... Can you not access your local files on Spotify offline even though their yours? (That's besides the fact that my Spotify spontaneously denied me access to all my local files, while online, saying they're not synced. It's maddening. Does this possibly have something to do with the local files not being on my device?)

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Yes, to play local files, they have to be on your device. Follow the steps in this FAQ to synch them from your desktop to your mobile device.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Sounds like you moved those local files on your PC. You can just add the folder in the desktop client preferences under Local Files/add source. Hopefully this will fix the greyed out tracks - you may need to restart spotify to force a refresh.

EDIT:You will probably need to resynch your playlists after doing that I'm afraid.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Marked as solution

Yes, to play local files, they have to be on your device. Follow the steps in this FAQ to synch them from your desktop to your mobile device.

Ok, I'm having a similar-ish problem. I am trying to sync my music to my iPod nano. I can hook it up, it recognizes that I have an iPod nano plugged in, but when I try to sync it, a message says "only local files synced," and none of it syncs. I have successfully synced all my music to my kindle, but that is too bulky to bring out when I run and stuff. How can I fix this?

@EZsleezy wrote:

Ok, I'm having a similar-ish problem. I am trying to sync my music to my iPod nano. I can hook it up, it recognizes that I have an iPod nano plugged in, but when I try to sync it, a message says "only local files synced," and none of it syncs. I have successfully synced all my music to my kindle, but that is too bulky to bring out when I run and stuff. How can I fix this?

Simple answer is you can't.

Spotify will only allow you to sync local files which you already own to an iPod nano, not any content from the Spotify catalogue or offline playlists you have downloaded since the nano does not have a supported Spotify app to manage the content. For more details about this restriction have a read here

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I have a Samsung Galaxy III and all of my songs are on my phone. I download my songs directly from Amazon MP3 so I don't have any on a computer at all. Does this mean that I have to copy all of my songs to a computer just to get them to sync with Spotify?

I would imagine so yes, the Spotify application on mobile has no way to "see" track outside of what is synced to it via Spotify on the desktop. 

Peter

Peter

Thanks. I have over 2500 songs on my phone so I guess I won't be doing that.

Really?  I've been looking for a solution to this for a few days.  All the songs I sync from my desktop are also on my phone, but when I get to work, the firewall blocks comm between the network and my phone and all the local files are inaccessable even though...

Hi they are right there on the phone to be had.  Gigantic gaping hole in service for no apparent reason.

I don't get it

Can you try adding all of the local files to a playlist and synching that playlist for offline usage?

Peter

I'm having a problem with some of my local files from one particular playlist and I don't know why.

I previously had many local files that played as part of this playlist.  They were all loaded on my iphone and available offline.

Many of these songs are now grayed out when I look at them either on my computer or on my phone.

These songs are part of a huge playlist (with some local files and some from spotify's libraries) that I would always just shuffle play.  Now all of the local files that are part of that playlist are not playable.

When I click on them on my phone I get an error that says "Song Not Synced  If you own this song, you can sync it from your computer."

I do own the songs and that is how they got there on the playlist to begin with.

But it seems like it has for some reason lost the connection with the original file.

When I right click on one of these files on Spotify on my computer and select "open containing folder" it just goes to my documents rather than to the correct folder where the file is.

I assume I just have to go back and manually reconnect each of these files but I was hoping for an easier way.

Marked as solution

Sounds like you moved those local files on your PC. You can just add the folder in the desktop client preferences under Local Files/add source. Hopefully this will fix the greyed out tracks - you may need to restart spotify to force a refresh.

EDIT:You will probably need to resynch your playlists after doing that I'm afraid.

holy crap i think that worked!  thank you so much.

The files sit on an external hard drive and I think what happened was that it was disconnected at some point and in the shuffle got assigned a different letter. 

That was so much easier of a solution than i was expecting.

thanks again.

Suggested posts