Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Radio on iOS 6 Spotify broken.

Solved!

Radio on iOS 6 Spotify broken.

For some reason I can't use the radio feature on my iPhone 5. There's no spinning circle, nothing to indicate that it's loading anything. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app to no avail. I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this issue please! This is one of the greatest features of Spotify. I am using the latest version of iOS 6 (6.0.1)

Thanks in advance. 

65 Replies

Radio works over wifi but not over 4g/LTE or 3g. Iphone 5 on verizon wireless.

HI,

I have a similar problem. 

Ever since I got my iphone 5. the radio feature stopped working properly. It also worked fine on my iphone 4. this was my favorite feature before i used to switch between spotify and pandora radio. 

The radio does not load. it just displays a search box which i can't select and nothing else no matter what i do, it stays like that. it sometimes works but rarely, like once a month. when it does work, it takes 10 mins to switch stations. i would switch and it would spin but would continue on the same station for a few more songs then switch suddenly etc. this happeded rarely. usually it would just display a blank search box. it is the same wether cellular (LTE, 3G etc) or over wifi.

Other than that, the rest of it works fine! but this is keeping me back from calling it the best app ever! please help, i do not want to have to switch between pandora and spotify, its very annoying. 

Marked as solution

Not sure why Spotify is being so mum on this issue, but I was finally able to elicit a response with substance vs. the usual set of repetitive troubleshooting steps that prove/disprove absolutely nothing. The @SpotifyCares twitter account will actually respond, and has responded as such:

"This is something the team are looking into. Sorry! In the meantime, you could try starting Radio with Wifi and then switching /M"

...so, it's apparently a known issue. Hopefully the devops types that are repsonsible for actually fixing this will be able to see our collective group of posts and make use of the troubleshooting data. As someone in a similar role, I'm envious of the amount of actual data being provided to fix a problem and underwhelmed with Spotify's lack of enthusiasm to fix something that has so much diagnostic info pushed right in front of their noses.

Cheers!

Marked as solution

Hey so i actually figured out how to fix my issue with my iphone! it seems that i was using an app for data shrink and compressing data. the app is called onavo extend i was using it so i can extend my data plan because i dont have unlimited data. basically this app is more trouble then its worth. the it caused the connection to slow and didn't save me all that much. however, it affected spotify and caused the radio feature to not work properly. it caused the radio feature and spotify to malfunction. 

what the app does it installs a filter VPN profile onto your iphone and even though it can't compress streaming media such as spotify, it still filters through the VPN profile this for some reason negatively affected certain apps such as spotify. 

What i did was i deleted the VPN profile and turned off the app, i then killed spotify and restarted and what do you know the radio and every feature worked fine and was fast again!

Let me know if this works for you.

I have the same problem as I wrote on the community yesterday. (I got no answer.)

I deleted the ovano app and restarted Spotify (and iOS). I didn´t help. (I can´t find any VPN profile.)

I've never used onavo or any other compression app, and I still have the radio problem.

If you have the latest version of Onavo, it installed a VPN profile onto your iphone. just go into settings then general then profile (only shows up if there is a profile installed). just go to it and press remove. once the profile is removed restart spotify. deleting the app is not enough if it is the latest version of onavo you must also remove the profile. this worked for me and others.

Happy to help Hope this also works for you! wish you luck! it took months for me to fix it 😞

Just been messing around with this on iOS 6.0.1 - Try force closing the application first of all. Hold down the lock button until the "Slide to Power Off" option shows up. Then, hold down the Home button until the application shuts down. 

Open up Spotify once again, and then you should be able to use Radio again. If not, please just let me know, and ensure you don't have any of the compression apps other people have mentioned on this thread. 

Airhorn Enthusiast
Marked as solution

Thanks ezra, I had Onavo installed and your tip actually worked. But I had to take one more action, per Onavo's instructions: reset network settings. Everything started working after that.

It did not help.

Marked as solution

Well, I just cancelled my account. The response I received when writing to the "premium" users' helpdesk sealed the decision to switch to Rdio (which, by the way, works fantastically.)

Below is the reply I received from Spotify support, followed by my email. It's depressing that I took the time to write out an impassioned plea for help (again!) and provided links to the issue, previous tickets where I've explained the issue, and the response is basically "what's your problem?". Apparently the tactic here is to just delay people so their monthly subscription renews as they do nothing to communicate with customers. Extraordinarily poor customer service showing.

Good luck to the rest of you hanging on in hopes it'll get better. Maybe it will someday and I'll be back. Until then, I'm voting with my wallet.

Subject: RE: Canceling, but there's one last chance...    [

ref:_00DD0pxIW._500D0LlVOL:ref ]

Hi there,

Can you let me know what your existing problem is.

--------------- Original Message ---------------

Sent: 03/01/2013 21:59

To: premium@spotify.com

Subject: Canceling, but there's one last chance...

I've written many community forum posts. I've tweeted. I've literally begged via support for help or an answer -- and have received nothing. 

Perhaps this email alias goes to another support group that will actually do something? I don't know, but I'll give it one last shot.

Here's my problem:

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Mobile-iOS-iPhone-iPad-iPod/Radio-on-iOS-6-Spotify-broken/td-p/21058...

That entire thread. The proposed solution about some third party app causing problems is not the culprit. Support tickets? Got those, too. Check this one that went nowhere: ref:_00DD0pxIW._500D0LlVOL:ref

Tweeting after receiving no helpful response or assurance that it was even a bug that would be investigated got me this response from @SpotifyCares: "This is something the team are looking into. Sorry! In the meantime, you could try starting Radio with Wifi and then switching /M"

Okay, this is progress. Someone's at least "looking into" it. 

So before I cancel, I ask one last time, passionately: is this a bug that will get fixed, or is it just not an issue Spotify wants to spend time tracking down?

I'm wasting money every month on a product that isn't working, and I'm literally begging you folks to help give you diagnostic details that will help pinpoint the cause of the problem...yet nobody seems to listen, express any concern for the issue, or actually read the forum posts!

I was ready to cancel after the two support followups I had where it was obvious nobody even read my message before responding. Now I'm pretty much ready to ditch the account, unless you'd like to confirm that this is a bug that will be fixed or let me help you folks get it fixed by providing you with whatever information you require (seriously, look at my previous emails - I am not an idiot...)

Please let me know. It's $10, which is peanuts I know, but I'd never heard of the "premium@" alias for support, so perhaps this reaches a group of people who actually give a darn? Time to find out.. 🙂

Sorry it's so long winded. I look forward to a reply, though!

I've actually tried everything (which includes waiting for spotify to do something about it) and my issue was with the third party app. It's called onavo.
I deleted the app
Turned off the VPN on my phone
Reset the carrier settings
Everything is back to normal.

Hope this helps.

For what it's worth, this issue happens to people who do not use and never have used this onavo VPN thing. (like me.) But, definitely worth people's time to get rid of that junk if it's causing problems!

I cancelled my subscription to Spotify due to this issue not being solved, only to find out that the Radio feature is actually available for free.

Anyway, I think the issue only happens when you have a profile installed on your device, be it Onavo or any other one. I had installed the Onavo app but I deleted it long ago and didn't have any issues with the radio feature on the iPhone 4. I never installed Onavo on the iPhone 5, but I do have a Profile installed as I have an unlocked iPhone that I use internationally. In the US, I use Straight Talk, which requires a profile to be installed in order to access their network (they are an AT&T mvno). Radio feature doesn't work over 4G.

When I am in Mexico I use Telcel, which doesn't require a profile to be installed. Radio feature works over 3G and WiFi.

Attention everyone!

This issue is affecting not just people with Onavo or some other "profile".  I don't even know what that is.  I and several other posters who don't have Onavo installed are experiencing this problem.  

I just started using Spotify.  The 48 hour trial worked awesomely, now that I am a premium member, the radio isn't working on my iphone 5 using 4G cellular.  I haven't tried wifi yet as I am not home at the moment.  I will see if that makes a difference when I get home this evening.  I do not have Onavo installed or any other profile such as that.  I've tried hard rebooting, reinstalling and all the other suggestions from this and other related threads.  Is there anyone out there with new ideas?  How about a Spotify support member or moderator that can give me a status on this issue?  I really enjoyed the features of my trial membership.  Now I would like to continue enjoying them.  Thank you for your assistance in this matter. 

Specifics:

Iphone 5

iOS 6.0.2

ATT 13.0

VPN off

Spotify 0.5.9.10

Ok, so after working through this again and again I was finally able to get it working properly.  I hope it holds out.  😄 Here's what I did (even though it was mentioned before).

close background apps

delete spotify

reset network settings (settings, general, reset, reset network setings, confirm reset network settings)

wait for reboot

reload spotify

login with Facebook credentials

TADA!

So maybe this will help someone else who isn't completely iphone savvy.  Have a fantastic day everyone! I'm off to listen to some spotify.

Ok, so after working through this again and again I was finally able to get it working properly.  I hope it holds out.  😄 Here's what I did (even though it was mentioned before).

close background apps

delete spotify

reset network settings (settings, general, reset, reset network setings, confirm reset network settings)

wait for reboot

reload spotify

login with Facebook credentials

TADA!

So maybe this will help someone else.  Have a fantastic day everyone! I'm off to listen to some spotify.

This totally worked for me! Thank you!

I'd uninstalled onavo, deleted and reinstalled and tried everything. but this is the first thing that has actually helped! thanks!

Suggested posts