Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Radio on iOS 6 Spotify broken.

Solved!

Radio on iOS 6 Spotify broken.

For some reason I can't use the radio feature on my iPhone 5. There's no spinning circle, nothing to indicate that it's loading anything. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app to no avail. I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this issue please! This is one of the greatest features of Spotify. I am using the latest version of iOS 6 (6.0.1)

Thanks in advance. 

65 Replies
Marked as solution

Time for a refresh.

Please add this info when replying:

- Have you upgraded to iOS 6.1? If not, please do so now.

- Does it work on 3G?

- Does it work on 4G?

- Does it work on WiFi?

- Try on a different WiFi, does it work there?

- What Spotify version are you using?

- Can you post a screenshot of what you see after you've started the radio?

- Do none of your radio stations work?

- Please post two examples (http links) of songs that don't let you start a radio station

- Do you have any apps installed that "use less cellular data", like Onavo?

- Have you reset your cellular data settings?

- Have you reset your carrier settings?

- Are you using VPN?

Community Ergo Sum

Please add this info when replying:

Yes

- Does it work on 3G?

No

- Does it work on 4G?

I don´t have 4G.

- Does it work on WiFi?

Yes

Yes

0.5.9.10 Spotify Core 0.7.1.6114

No

- Please post two examples (http links) of songs that don't let you start a radio station

No songs work. The radio doesn`t start.

I have eraesed Onavo.Bild 2013-01-30 kl. 11.35.jpg

How?

Yes

- Are you using VPN?

No

@kwharton77 wrote:

Ok, so after working through this again and again I was finally able to get it working properly.  I hope it holds out.  😄 Here's what I did (even though it was mentioned before).

close background apps

delete spotify

reset network settings (settings, general, reset, reset network setings, confirm reset network settings)

wait for reboot

reload spotify

login with Facebook credentials

TADA!

So maybe this will help someone else.  Have a fantastic day everyone! I'm off to listen to some spotify.

Worked like a charm, thanks. I was just about to cancel my service after months of this crap with it not starting over 3g when I found your advice.

Exact same issue here. Can confirm all I needed to do was reset network settings (as much as I didn't want to..) and it worked! Lets hope this is the last time I have to!

I have this same problem with my Iphone 4 on straight talk wireless, it only works on wifi and if I force close it, the radio won't even show up the stations or anything I get a white screen

Thank you! My spotify radio has been broken since the day they released it for iphone.  I tried to find a fix a while back, failed, and just gave up because it still worked for regular streaming.  But today I looked into it again and found a solution-uninstalling Onavo!  Thank you thank you thank you!

Constantly had radio issues too, worked on wifi but not carrier data.  Resetting network settings fixed it for me too - was about to give up on this too.

I've found a workaround for this issue which I've had for months.

1. Start radio station (it goes to blank Radio screen).
2. Go to Settings, enable Airplane mode.
3. Open Spotify. You'll get a message telling you to get out of Airplane mode, so click the Settings button on the pop-up to go back to settings.
4. Disable Airplane mode.
5. Go back to Spotify; if Radio doesn't immediately start press Play and it will.

I can't believe this works!!!

I've been following this thread for a while since I'm one of the users that never had Onavo installed and had this problem.

My iPhone is jailbroken so I have an Airplane Mode toggle in my notificaiton center. I started Spotify radio, it got stuck, I turned on Airplane mode, went back to Spotify and saw it was offline, turn Airplane mode back off and it started playing! Awesome! 

Thanks!!!

Yay! It's an absurd solution, when the real solution is that Spotify should take better care of their paying customers and just fix their code. But I'm glad it was able to help someone else out as well. 😄

Thank you, David! This totally solved my problem with this! I was about to give up on spotify completely, especially after the "solution" listed above essentially boiled down to "wait and be patient." Glad I scrolled further down!

I started seeing this today (April 25th, 2013) on one of my playlists. It was sporadic, too, and both on mobile and desktop application. Right now it's back to normal, but it's annoying for sure.

This has been happening since 4/23/13, on my iPad2, iPhone4S and hubby's iPhone 4S.  2-4 songs with buttons and functionality on radio (this is independent of whether it's a station i started from a song, or a genre station), then one song with all buttons except Pause dimmed out (no response if you like/dislike, cannot skip).  whether you let it play or scrub it through, the station ends and from that point forward, attempts to play the station again get either the same set of 3-4 songs or an error message saying the station isn't available and to try another

yes, most current on all devices

- Does it work on 3G?

no

- Does it work on 4G?

no

- Does it work on WiFi?

no

no

0.6.4.2 (0.0.0.999) 

not from here.  

all have the same bug

used the Classical genre, did a search for movie themes and ran that one; same results

no

yes

yes

- Are you using VPN?

no

I have reinstalled (delete, clear Safari cache data, restart, reinstall) on all devices but no change.

I haven't had any problems playing radio on my iPhone 5 until just a few days ago after the most recent update I received. I have iOS 6.1.3, and Spotify 0.6.4.2, Core 0.0.0.999.

Now, when I play any of my favorite radio stations, it will play the first song and then crash. I close Spotify, reopen it and it remains crashed. When I quit and then restart, it repeats the crash sequence. So very disappointing. What's up with this? Can we get ANY Spotify support people to respond to these posts?

Does anyone have any real solutions that fix the problem? Will this require an update, and if so, how about today.

^ same here! I haven't seen any real fixes yet. I even tweeted them for solutions and no response. Their support is really making quite a bit and being ignored isn't make me feel too good about $10 a month!

I suddenly had a problem being unable to play certain stations.  I got the "Sorry, this station cannot be started".  I read some of what was here, but didn't really want to reset my networking connections immediatly.  I've found that totally shutting down the application by double pressing the start button so you get the list of applications running in the background, pressing down and holding the offending app until the icon starts dancing and hitting the X to shut it down has worked with several odd iPhone issues (like the message that mail is downloading a message that seems to stick).  In this case I shut down and then restarted Spotify and the non starting stations worked again.

Not sure if this works for others, but it's an easy fix to try.

Thanks Clark! However, I've tried that numerous times and it still does what I wrote above.

On iOS6.1.3/iPhone5:

I closed all background programs running, then reset network settings.

Radio is working now.

I kept trying to use the Electronic radio station preset and would get the "This station can not be started" error.

When it would work, I would get the same 5 songs and no amount of favouriting or thumbs upping would unjam it. 

This happened on wifi or 4G/LTE

(I've never had any compression software installed.)

FYI this appears to be a recent bug and per Spotify twitter the engineers are working on it.  [include grain of salt]

Suggested posts