Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Running - Can't Detect Tempo

Running - Can't Detect Tempo

I've tried everyday for a week, and so far Running has been unable to detect my tempo. I've tried to make extra sure that I was running at a constant speed. I've tried rebooting the phone. I've tried uninstalling and then reinstalling Spotify. I even did a full reset of my phone (although I did restore my data from iCloud).

I'm using iPhone 6 128GB running iOS 8.3 w/90GB free space.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!
42 Replies

I am experiencing the same problems. Tempo detection only works approx. 1 out of 10 tries. Really annoying to have to fidget with your phone when in the midst of a run. I've defaulted to skipping the detection all together. 

I wear my phone in a sportsband around my upper arm. Tried while holding the phone in my hand, tried moving my arms in an exaggerated manner, tried holding my arms as still as possible while running. All that had no descernable effect.  

I also reinstalled the app, that also did not work.  

My specs are iPhone 6 (64gb), iOS 8.3, Spotify 3.3.0.1640. I track my run with Endomondo. 

Regards, 

Djasp

Same issue. I've tried approx 20 times without any luck.

iPhone 6
iOS 8.3
Spotify 3.4.0.684

Running still doesn't detect my tempo. I hear "Detecting tempo", it shows a tempo, like 140, for seconds and then searches again.

I am tracking my runs with runtastic, too. Maybe this is the problem?
App version 3.4.0.684
iOS 8.3
iPhone 5c

Update: I upgraded to 3.4.0.684. The problem is still there but perhaps there is some improvement. It now detects my tempo about 1 out of 4 times, which is better than 1 out of 10.

Today I updated to iOS 8.4
I uninstalled / reinstalled Spotify3.4.0.684. The running function still does not work. One positive note is that it said a few times "detecting tempo" but eventually said it cannot detect my tempo. Previously nothing happened.
I'm a pretty slow runner and using Strava to track exercise.

nice catch.  I'm going to check this setting to see if I can have spottify added to fitness tracking and see if that helps. i hope to use the running function soon.

@DoubleJava wrote:
UPDATE: After updating to 3.3.0, it worked for me twice, but hasn't worked for me for several days now.

One thing I noticed, under Settings/Privacy/Motion & Fitness, I see Health and RunKeeper, but I don't see Spotify. Not sure if Spotify should be listed, but Spotify never asked for this permission and this isn't listed.

Version of Spotify (Spotify > Settings > About) ?

Version of OS ?

• IOS 8.4

Make/Model of the device ?

• iPhone 6

I'm also getting the same issue with Spotify running.  It rarely detects my tempo, when it fails it always defaults to  a tempo of  160, however my tempo isnormally around 150.  It would at least be helpful to be able to set our own default tempo if it failed.

I like this running option in the App, its one of the things that could  keep me away from Apple Music - but it it doesn't work ....

Spotify v3.5.0.1069

IOS 8.4 / Iphone 6 plus

Hey @ash032. Welcome to the community. We are looking into this. We'll get back to you shortly. 

@DoubleJava

I might try tweaking the algorithm from the backend, once I do can you try it out and let me know if you notice a difference?

@Sackfield

Sure thing. 

One more piece of info that might be helpful:  I've noticed that the faster I run, the more likely that Spotify will detect my tempo, and the slower I run, the less likely that Spotify will detect my tempo.  160 and up seems to work the majority of the time.  Around 155 works maybe half the time.  Around 150 only works sometimes.  Less than 150 rarely works...I think I've only gotten it to work below 150 once.  I can't say that I've tested this theory exhaustively, but it does seem to be the trend.

Unfortunately, my dog can only comfortably do around 150, and I usually run with her. 

Thanks!

I agree. I'm a very slow runner. The only time I've gotten the run app to work is when I'm in a full sprint.

I confirm here. My tenpo never detected below 155

Can you try now? The backend change should've taken effect

I'll be heading to the Gym this evening (UK Time) so will let you know how it goes.

Ash 🙂

Tried it this morning. Spotify still could not detect my tempo.

Spotify 3.6.0.923, iOS 8.4, iPhone 6.

For reference, my speed was approx. 6 minutes per kilometer (10 km/u)?

So tried this evening at the gym - first time failed.  Then detected - but too slow (detected 145 - normally my pace is 150) tried another four times and it failed to detect.

Cheers Ash....

Iphone 6+ IOS 8,4 Spotify 3.6.0.923

Tried again yesterday and today. It's hard to say for sure, but there might have been a very slight improvement in the 150 to 155 range. Couldn't get it to detect below 150 at all.

Q: Would different playlists give different results? For example, maybe some playlists don't contain songs with tempos below 150. I always choose Mood Booster just for consistent testing purposes.

Hey guys!

Thanks for the update. 

@Sackfield Any further thoughts on this one?

@DoubleJava Regarding your question, different playlists may contain music of different tempos. Have you tried this out using alternate playlists? If so, how did it go?

We'd love to help out. 🙂

Jason

No further thoughts unfortunately, we do have another option but we are deciding whether to exercise it.

Suggested posts