Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Songs stop playing after 9-10 seconds - app

Songs stop playing after 9-10 seconds - app

Premium Family

USA (have also had the same issue in Mexico)

Spotify Version: 8.6.56 (updated today 8/27/21)

Device: iPhone Xs, iOS 14.7.1

For 5 days now (that I've noticed) none of my songs will play longer than 9-10 seconds. I can hear one song all the way through probably every 1/50 songs. This is extremely frustrating and I've read every message board and it seems like many other people are experiencing this issue with no help from Spotify. Here is more information:

1. I have tried: deleting the app and reinstalling it, updating the app, logging out and back in, changing my password, clearing my cache, quitting the app and reopening, restarting my phone, turned off my crossfade, tried to listen on wifi, tried to listen on 5GE, tried to listen on airplane mode, and tried to listen on offline mode. None of these have solved the issue.

2. All of my songs are downloaded so connection shouldn't be an issue. Even when I was on a 3 hour flight in airplane and offline mode, none of my songs would work. What is the point of using 10GB of my phone's storage to download my songs if I can't listen to them when I'm offline?

3. I have tried listening to Spotify via web browser (Chrome) and it works fine. My songs also play all the way through when I listen on the Mac Spotify app. Unfortunately it is quite difficult to listen to music on a run, with your laptop.

I would really appreciate some help on this. It would be helpful to hear new suggestions besides the ones I have already tried/seen on this forum and others. Thanks in advance.

45 Replies

I have the same issue. Started last night, 8/27 after downloading a bunch of playlists. 

Hi folks,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community! We'll do our best to help out.

We recommend running a clean reinstall of the app by following these steps. This is will make sure all app data is cleared and that you're running the latest app version.

If that doesn't help, try the following:

• Toggle between WiFi and mobile data and try streaming some music. Does it stop on both connections?
  • Check if this is happening to all content - your playlists, Spotify created playlists, albums, podcasts.
  • Ask a friend to log in with their account and see if music keeps stopping. You can also create a quick free account to try this out.
  • Let us know your exact device model, OS version and Spotify version.

We'll be on the lookout for your replies.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi Alex, 

As mentioned in my OP, I have done a reinstall (several times) with those exact steps. Also mentioned, I have switched between data and Wifi for all kinds of music (both mine that is downloaded as well as streaming). Yes, it is happening to all content. 

None of my friends or family members on my account are having the same problem.

As listed in my OP: 

Spotify Version: 8.6.56 (updated today 8/27/21)

Device: iPhone Xs, iOS 14.7.1

Hi there @ddboone,

Thank you for your swift reply.

Since this is happening only on your phone, can you log in with another account such as a friend's or a family member's to see if the issue persists? Alternatively, you can create a free account here, just make sure you're logged out of your own account before creating a new one.  

If the issue repeats while using a different account, please check that there are no cache clearing nor battery optimization apps running for Spotify. Keep in mind that even if you didn't install such apps, some devices have them preinstalled.

Let us know how this goes. 

MafeGModerator

These instructions (clean reinstall) helped fix this issue for me.

Premium Duo plan in U.S.

IOS 15.1 on iPhone Xs

Chrome on MacBook Pro

Music stops playing after about 9 seconds. I've had the problem on and off for about 2-3 months. Happens with the app on my phone and the web player with Chrome and an incognito tab.

I've cleared the cache, done a clean reinstall, created a new password, signed out everywhere, restarted computer & phone. It's really frustrating.

A few times after signing out everywhere I have had trouble logging back in–got the "something went wrong " message. In clicking around trying to figure that out I came upon this page where I can change User ID. But the ID noted (24983742–see screenshot) is not my number ID. Everything else looks fine in my account profile. No strange apps connecting, and the songs in my list are all mine. I just removed facebook data in privacy settings. I'm not sure what's going on with this.

Anyway, please help. it sucks to work in quiet.

I just went to check if my liked songs play all the way through but now nothing is playing at all. Not even for 9 seconds.

[snip - Community Moderator edit]

Hey @127233257,

Thanks for posting here 🙂

The Community username can be indeed different from your Spotify username. In case you want to make changes on your Community account, you can head to My Settings.

The troubleshooting steps that you've tried so far are very good. It's also a good idea to try the following:

• Deactivate any battery optimization or power saving apps for Spotify.
  • Try with another internet connection.

If nothing changes, could you share with us if this happens with different playlists?

Keep us posted.

Ver Moderator

Having the same issue on an iphone. Ios up to date, app up to date, have uninstalled app and done clean reinstall, redownloaded songs several times now. A good handful of songs just cut out after 9 seconds on wifi and data. Been happening for months now

Hi there @Mcanultn,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community.

Apart from the clean reinstall, could you list all the other troubleshooting steps mentioned on this thread that you've already tried? This is so we don't repeat anything and have a better understanding of what the root cause of the issue might be.

We'll be on the lookout.

CarlosEModerator

If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Yes, I have done the following steps:

- Clean install
- ioS update
- spotify app update
- cleared cache
- uninstalled and reinstalled all songs multiple times

Hi @Mcanultn,

Thanks for your reply and the extra info.

You can also try logging out, restarting your device, and logging back in. Then, try restarting the app twice in a row. This may sound odd but it's how the app does a resync with the device.

If this doesn't make any difference, can you try logging in to a different account, like a friend's or relative's, on your iPhone to see if this behavior persists? We'd like to narrow down if this might be device or account related.

Additionally, we'd like to know if it happens while in Offline mode.

Keep us posted.

CarlosEModerator

i have the samt issue with my device. i just tried this suggestion and i did not work. the issue happened again at the first song i played.

Hi @noahweis,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for posting.

Could you confirm which of all the troubleshooting steps shared on this thread you tried? This way we can keep assisting you properly.

Also, please let us know the model and OS of your phone, as well as the Spotify version you're running.

Keep us posted.

MafeGModerator

im using the spotify version 8.6.84.1353 on an iphone 11. ive tried the troubleshooting steps shared by carlosE: logging out, restarting the device, logging back in an refreshing the sptoify app twice. i havent tried the steps done byMcanultn as they dont seem to work and i dont want to redownload 7gb worth of songs if it doesnt solve the issue

Hey @noahweis,

Thanks for keeping us posted.

We'd suggest you try with another network to see if anything changes.

It's also a good idea to check if there are any pending updates for the phone.

In case the issue occurs also when you try with another account on your phone, it sounds like this could be a device-related issue.

Running a clean reinstall with these steps is a good idea as sometimes the cache can lead to different issues. This one is more thorough than the usual one. 

Let us know how it goes.

Ver Moderator

I have exactly the same issue since a few days! I've been in contact with your support team but nothing is working: multiple clean installations, cleaning of cache, reboot etc...I'm a Premium user and would like this fixed ASAP. I don't have the issue when using a free Spotify account, how is this even possible? 

Hi @adelinelehardy,

Thanks for posting on the Community.

To confirm, is the issue persisting while using mobile data and WiFi? Does it also happen while in Offline Mode?

Additionally and if possible, could you ask a friend or family member with a Premium account to log in to their account on your phone to see if this behavior persists? We're trying to narrow down the possible cause of this behavior and check if it's network, device, or account-related.

Keep us posted.

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

I have had the same problem recently. I have tried the clean re-installation on all three devices I use(iPad, iPhone and Samsung Android.) It seemed to work for a few days but now the problem has returned. I have also tried all other suggested options, such ass changing to data rather than Wi-Fi. The problem keeps coming back. The only option seems to be to cancel my subscription and subscribe to Amazon Prime Music which does not have the problem

Hey @CarloE,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community. 

Just to make sure, have you tried these specific steps to reinstall the app on your devices?

On another note, we suggest that you try restarting your router to check if that makes the difference. 

If the issue persists, could you ask a friend or a relative to log in to their account in your devices to see if the same happens with a different account?

Lastly, we'd like to know if this happens when you're streaming directly on your devices or if you're using the Connect feature or Bluetooth.

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Suggested posts