Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Splits a playlist

Solved!

Splits a playlist

I have a premium account and a playlist that has become way too long.

I would like to take half of the songs and create a new playlist with those.
How can I select all the songs at the same time on an IPhone SE?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @eldams, thanks for writing.

Given the length of your playlist, our best suggestion would be to do it directly from a desktop computer instead of your iPhone. All you have to do is the following:

1. Go to your playlist
  2. Click on the first song of the half you'd like to move
  3. Scroll to the last part of that batch
  4. Press shift and click on the last song
  5. Right-click any of the selected songs
  6. Add to Playlist > New Playlist (this will copy them to that new playlist)
  7. Remove the songs you selected from your original playlist

All set! Now you've split that playlist in half. We hope this helps, have an amazing day 🙂

View solution in original post

13 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey @eldams, thanks for writing.

Given the length of your playlist, our best suggestion would be to do it directly from a desktop computer instead of your iPhone. All you have to do is the following:

1. Go to your playlist
  2. Click on the first song of the half you'd like to move
  3. Scroll to the last part of that batch
  4. Press shift and click on the last song
  5. Right-click any of the selected songs
  6. Add to Playlist > New Playlist (this will copy them to that new playlist)
  7. Remove the songs you selected from your original playlist

All set! Now you've split that playlist in half. We hope this helps, have an amazing day 🙂

Thanks a lot, this was very helpfull and just made me very happy 😄

Hey @eldams.

We're glad to hear this helped your experience with Spotify.

If anything else comes up, feel free to open a new thread.

We're here to help 🙂

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”
― Maria Augusta von Trapp

This process absolutely does not work for me.  I am using a chromebook if that makes any difference.

Hey there @wvear

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community.

Currently, the steps mentioned above don't work on a Chromebook, only in the desktop app. 

In this case, you can consider adding your +VOTE to this idea, if this something you'd like to see implemented in the future. 

Despite its current status, you can still add your vote to it and if anything changes in the future, we'll make sure to keep everyone updated over there.

The Idea Exchange is a great way for us to see what our users are interested in and how many people like a certain idea.

Check out this Spotify Answer to learn more about it.

If you need a hand with anything else, the Community is here for you.

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

i am not able to do it, can you assist further?

Hey @lakshay007,

Thanks for posting.

What kind of a device are you using for this process?

Keep in mind, that this should be done on the desktop app and not the web player. Also tell us where exactly you're experiencing difficulties.

Keep us posted,

Cheers!

DianModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

What if I don’t have Spotify on my laptop, only on my phone?

I am having this same issue. I have a playlist with over 800 songs on it and I would like to split it up but on my macbook air I can't seem to select more than one song at a time. The instructions above do not work. 

Hey @abaden,

Thanks for your reply.

In this case, if you have a Mac computer, you can select all the songs on a playlist by scrolling until the last song and clicking at it while pressing shift. All songs will be selected and by clicking the right mouse button, you can add them to the playlist you wish. 

You can select some of the songs in a playlist by pressing control while clicking all the songs you liked. Then, the same, you'll just need to click the right mouse button and add them to one of your playlists or create a new one. Keep in mind this only possible on the desktop app, so, if you're using the web player, this'll not be possible.

Keep in mind that, as mentioned by @Eni, you can vote for the idea we located. Even though the status is set as Case Closed, it doesn't mean the idea has been rejected. We’d suggest adding your vote in the thumbs up icon and subscribing to it to get notified as soon as we have any updates to share.

We hope you found this helpful. Let us know if you need anything else. 

AlejaRModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Is there any update on doing this on a Chromebook?

Hi, I'm doing this on the Spotify app for desktop but it isn't working. What should I do? Thank you.

Hey @AnthonyClarke,

Welcome to the thread!

Make sure you're on the newest Spotify app version on your computer and if there's any performance issues, then you can clear the corrupted cached files to help the app. You can take a look at this article.

If you're seeing any error messages for example, it'd be great if you could share some more info on how things look like from your end and why it's not working for you so we can decide what steps to suggest next.

Hope this helps and we're here if anything else comes up 🙂

IvelinaModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts