Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify can’t connect on iPad 1st

Spotify can’t connect on iPad 1st

Hi! A few days ago the Spotify app stopped working on my iPad 1st. It keeps trying to connect ... I'm using the latest version compatible with iOS 5.1.1.

Help?

thanks!

70 Replies

Hi there!

I know it sounds simple, but it's often overlooked. Could you try restarting your device? If that doesn't help, try a quick clean reinstall of the app. Just follow these steps.

If you're still having trouble, could you let me know the exact version of Spotify and the exact version of the operating system you're running?

I'll see what I can suggest next!

Log out & in did not help. Neither did restart.

Spotify broke something. Connection can not be established. 

Top of the screen says Connecting..

and spinner is in the middle of app. No error messages.

Spotify software version is latest that can be installed to this device; 0.7.2.26

I haven’t had any problems before with this app & device combo.

Please fix it. This old ipad is not yet ready for retirement. 

Reinstall did not help either.

Hey @BrokenRobot,

I'm sorry but since these older versions don't get any support anymore they become unstable and such things can happen.

I'll try my best to help you out but I can't gurantee that it can be fixed 🙂

Have you tried another network connection? If possible try signing in with another account and see if that persits with that one too.

I'd also suggest resetting your network settings by going to the Settings app, General>Reset>Reset Network Settings

Let me know how it goes 🙂

I don’t think it’s a network issue as I can use Spotify on other devices.

Ipad 1 is using same iOS as last few years also there hasn’t been upgrades to older Spotify app. They must have changed something on the server side. I can’t see from iPad what is Spotify’s server response. 

I'm having these same problems. I tried reinstalling, tried to signing with another account, reset my network settings... 

Same problem here. Version 0.7.2.26 last supported version on ipad 1st gen. Already tried two separate wifi connections. Hard reboots. App reinstall. I have multiple older ios devices (all gifted cause I can't afford them) at home and they all stopped working at the same time. Streaming music from playlists works. Problem is encoutered in the "What's New", search, inbox, radio, and friends tabs and it kicked the app offline until hard restarting the app. So it's definitely a server change that affected the browser portions of the app. The app didn't change.

I'm actually amazed the app has continued working for this long as the usual tendency is for companies to care little about updates breaking unsupported devices after a couple years. It's not that they can't. Developers are amazing people who can code almost anything. I work with several and they are always eager to solve challenging problems. It would be amazing if Spotify is different from other companies and unofficially supports older device users. Don't plan on it though. Financial decisions often tie the devs hands. Maybe we'll get a kind dev who has some free time to figure out a patch to keep us working for a little while longer. If not at least itunes still works. 🙂

No solution? 🙁

Hey guys,

Spotify doesn't really support older versions. You can check the system requirements Spotify needs to work properly here.

I can also  recommend these steps:

• Check if you have a good connection
  • Try an alternative connection (if on a public or office network try a private network, if possible)
  • Try an alternative device (if possible)
  • Ensure the operating system is up-to-date
  • Ensure device has enough storage space
  • Try restoring the device

Hope this helps 🙂

This is obviously a server-side issue.  I'm a software developer and I know when I see a login error loop (which really should be caught).  Please can you confirm that you've stopped supporting version 0.7.2.26?  

The link to supported devices starts with iPad 2. iPad 1 can't update. This
server update just killed the iPad 1 app for good.

Same issue here - iPad 1 Version 5.1.1 (9B206) - Spotify version 0.7.2.26 - and it started at the same time as the rest of you. Spotify had been working great up to that point. I've uninstalled, reinstalled, checked modem & router, re-entered Wifi info, logged out, logged in with a different account (spent several hours trying all sorts of combinations. So, I'm guessing too that it is something that has occurred on Spotify's end. 

Don't you like how so many have overlooked the fact that those of us facing this very same problem have already done the following with no success:

1. Relogged in

2. Reinstalled

3. Checked their internet connection

4. Verified that the iPad 1 has the latest update possible

5. Verified that the Spotify app is at the latest update possible

6. Verified that newer devices using the very same internet connection operate with no problems.

7. Experienced zero stability issues before this problem reared its ugly head

If you plan on raising any of these points as a possible issue, please, don't bother.  Before you know it one of these useless suggestions will be marked as a solution and the problem will be dismissed.

The issue is obviously server-side, happened during the weekend* and probably

fixable.

*likely rushed to meet some deadline.

I'd also like to add that I don't believe this is intentional as there seems to be a limit on the number of login retrys and once it stops trying, you can get items in the radio tab to play.  The very fact that it plays anything means that the servers are putting out content when requested so it's not blocked as you'd expect if the service was simply terminated on older devices (or they did a poor job of ending the service).  This is a login issue on Spotify's side but I'd say the chances of them addressing it are next to none considering it only effects old hardware.

I'm a Spotify Premium User and I'm experiencing the same problems. I can play any songs from my playlists - I have to select the playlist tab first and then close and restart the app - but search or radio doesn't work.

Same - Spotify will not connect on my old iPad running iOS 5.1.1

I never really expected Spotify to continue to work after Apple stopped providing iOS updates for the iPad, but was pleasantly surprised when it did work and kept working. It was a nice to be able to repurpose the old iPad as a dedicated music player, and it'll be a sad if that has really ended. 

As it seems this problem is caused by update on server side login code that was released to production last weekend, the problem code could be easy to find. Fixing the code might more problematic but this should be investigated by Spotify. After all we are premium customers. 

As we are able to listen something from our Spotify account it suggests that this change was not result of decision of not to support older hardware. Also if that would be the case we would see some kind of error message. 

Does anyone know how could we file a ticket to Spotify’s bug tracker?

Hey everyone!

Thanks for reporting this. We're sorry to hear that you're having troubles connecting with the Spotify app on your iPad 1st gen device.

We'd recommend first trying some troubleshooting steps, if you haven't already:

1. Make sure your OS is on the latest version possible
  2. Log out and back in to shake things up
  3. Restart your device
  4. Try a clean reinstall of the app on your device if possible
  5. Try a different internet connection 
  6. Does the issue occur in other devices? If so, let us know, along with the device and its OS and version of the Spotify app. Any screenshots would also be very helpful.

Further, please keep in mind that the system requirements for the best experience when using Spotify is iPad 2 or above, with iOS 10 or above and 250 MB free space. 

Apologies for the inconvenience. 

/K

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

Hi Katerina

If you read through these messages you already know that your troubleshooting steps won’t work. 

Even that you don’t anymore support iPad 1st. Could you ask devs to check commit that was put to production last weekend. Check for server side branch that affects login as it stopped working on our devices. Also to note that error should be catched, error message should be shown and error should not lead to login loop without an end. 

Maybe there’s an easy fix for our problem. Let’s hope so.

My family uses legacy iPad as an entertainment center for Netflix and Spotify. 

Suggested posts