Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify closing by itself

Solved!

Spotify closing by itself

Plan

Free

Country

Device

iphone xr

Operating System

ios 14.0.1

My Question or Issue

So my spotify app keeps closing by itself sometimes when I'm using other apps, sometimes when my screen is locked. I thought it might be because I have too many apps opened so I cleared all the recent apps leaving only spotify but the problem still exists. (my spotify is the latest version 8.5.85)

I saw that there were similar problems and I have tried the suggested solutions (restart phone, login again, reinstall app, clear all signed in devices), but the problem still persists.

Please can someone tell me how to fix it as it is really really annoying, I just want to enjoy my music.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @Dory24, thanks for reaching out to the Community!

First, let's try a clean reinstall of the app following these steps.

If that doesn't help - check out this Ongoing Issue that Spotify is investigating. Make sure to add your +VOTE and subscribe by selecting the 3 dots at the right hand corner.

Hope this helps!

Billy-JSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey @Dory24, thanks for reaching out to the Community!

First, let's try a clean reinstall of the app following these steps.

If that doesn't help - check out this Ongoing Issue that Spotify is investigating. Make sure to add your +VOTE and subscribe by selecting the 3 dots at the right hand corner.

Hope this helps!

Billy-JSpotify Star
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hello! thank you for the solution, I tried a clean reinstall of the app but the situation still happened. :(((

Hi @Dory24!

Thanks for trying that out. Just to check, can you let us know if while you're using the Spotify app you've noticed any unusual battery draining? If so, you can add your vote and subscribe to the Ongoing issue mentioned before.

On another note, we suggest that you make sure the OS of your device is up-to-date. It's also well worth trying it with a different connection to check if it makes the difference. 

Additionally, could you confirm that your phone's battery saving options are disabled? 

We'll be on the lookout for your response.

Hello thank you for the response!

I didn't experience any unusual battery draining when using spotify.

my issue with the app started happening when I used spotify on a new phone with the most up-to-date OS (at that time).

The OS of my new phone is not the most updated right now, but spotify worked fine with my old phone with a not up-to-date and older OS. So I'm not sure why spotify won't work on a newer phone and OS. But I'll update the OS now and see if it can solve the problem. 

about the connection problem, if you meant internet connection, I have tried using spotify when connected to the wifi or mobile data but the problem exists in both situations. :((

and yes my phone's battery saving option is off. But similarly, spotify worked well on my old phone which has battery saving option on all the time. :((

Hello there @Dory24,

Thanks for sending this info. Would you mind asking a friend to log in to their account in your phone? We'd like to check with this if the issue persists using another Spotify account. 

Even though the app can vary across different devices and operating systems, we always recommend running the latest software on your device for the best experience. It'd be great if you could try updating the OS of your phone and let us know if the app behaves differently after that.

Cheers - keep us posted!

XeniaModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hello! Thank you for this suggestion.

It worked for a while but now the problem appears again.

I didn't want to bother a friend so I tried this with a new account instead.

The app was working fine and there was no more sudden closing of the app.

But today the premium free trial of the new account ended and the problem (app closing suddenly) appeared again. I can't even finish one song without the app closing itself.

I was wondering if this problem is related to the subscription plan? Because I encountered this problem using accounts with free subscription, but the problem did not appear when I am using an account with premium free trial.

thank you.

Hey @Dory24,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

The type of subscription influences only whether or not a Premium features are available for a specific account and shouldn't have any impact on the performance of the app itself.

It would seem that you're experiencing a case of the Ongoing Issue here that @Billy-J and @Peter linked to. The folks at our tech team are currently looking into this, so make sure to vote for it if you haven't already. You can also follow the steps provided under Status Update.    

It'll also be useful to Subscribe via the three-dots menu in the top right corner next to the title. That'll make sure you stay up to date with any relevant updates about this. We'll be sure to keep you updated with any news on the matter there.

Hope this is helpful and don't hesitate to let us know if you have any further questions!

Mihail Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

We had Spotify premium for 2 years without a single issue, soon as we cancel subscription we start encountering this exact issue. It's 100% something to do with the free version if you want to admit to it not. This happens with other free versions of apps also that includes adverts, I strongly believe something in the system that forces adverts through after the song is trying in the wrong places causing the app to close, but they won't address the issues because that would mean no adverts for a while. 

Hey there @gaz90

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community, and welcome 🙂  

We're sorry to hear that you're experiencing this issue. However, as @Mihail mentioned, your subscription type shouldn't impact the performance of the app. 

Would you mind letting us know which troubleshooting steps you've already tried? This will help us give you better suggestions. 

We'll keep an eye out for your reply. 

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Hi thanks for reply. We have tried all steps mentioned above, login out, closing app, reinstalling app, other free accounts. To be honest until you have a definite fix I don't think I'll use Spotify, every person is so reluctant to even consider there could be an issue with the free version I imagine behind the scenes they won't even look into as I have seen whilst working at a similar company, they believe in something so much they won't admit it's broken.. remember the post office were wrong after saying there systems were 100% on point.

Hey @gaz90

Thanks for your reply. 

We understand where you're coming from and we'd like to help you sort this out. 

Could you let us know in which device this is happening? It would be helpful to have the make, model and OS version. 

Keep us posted.

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Suggested posts