Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify iOS App for iPhone 4 - So slow!

Spotify iOS App for iPhone 4 - So slow!

Hi.. Since I've installed the latest update for my iPhone 4 my experience with Spotify has been terrible. The app is so laggy everywhere, pretty much unusable and frustrating. I'm a recent premium user. I'm happy with the service itself on my Mac for example. But I'm seriously considering to cancel my subscription due to this issues with the app on my iPhone.... I really can't use the service on it. I hope you fix it soon.. I've reinstalled it, deleted my offline lists but its the same. That app is not optimized for iPhone 4.

Hope someone read this and worry for their users.....

15 Replies

Hello!

What iOS version are you running? Also, you can try the iOS 4 version on your phone, it may work better. It does not have the latest features though, such as radio and discover. 

EDIT: Just found out, Spotify has removed the iOS 4 version of the app from the App Store 😞

Hope this helped 🙂

Don't forget to add your Kudos and mark as a solution if it helped you!

Follow me on Twitter

Whats a Spotify Rock Star?

Hi, I'm running iOS 7.0.4 (latest) with Spotify 0.9.1 (latest)... With the previous 0.8 version the app was working fine but now is terrible.. Clearly they didnt even test it on an iPhone 4 because it wouldn pass any quality test..

Same deal for me, I'm running the latest version of sotify on IOS7, iPhone 4. It's a very cumbersome and slow app, clearly the iPhone 4 / IOS7 combination isn't being considered as a target platform for this app. I wouldn't mind so much if I wasn't paying £7.99 for this service.

I'm having the same problem. Very slow compared to the previous version.

@pjelar - What version of iOS are you using?

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Same deal here, everything is the latest update and it takes 15-45 seconds to be able to change song.

Any longer than that it crashes.
5gb freespace on my iphone so it cant be that.

Used to be as smooth as cutting butter.

update to iOS 7.1?

Same here. Really disgraceful, and my premium subscription is now cancelled. I'm not paying good money for a rubbish product.

I have an iPhone 4 with iOS 7.1.2 and Spotify takes about a minute to start up. When it does it then takes quite a long time before I can play anything. The UI through out is horrifically unresponsive. Often the app will be closed by the OS for using too much memory which makes the entire experience really annoying.

Hey @PersonalNadir which version of the Spotify app do you currently have installed? Have you tried a clean reinstallation?

At the moment I'm on 3.6.0.923. Not tried a clean install, partly because I've got all my songs available offline and they go into 1000s. As the app gets killed now and again for using too much memory, redownloading them again is a real pain. In fact, it just got killed while I was writing this. It was syncing 5 tracks with the "about" screen open. 

I recently tried a clean install to fix the issues with 3.7.0. I noticed that on start up the app did seem a lot faster and more responsive and the initial background syncing worked a lot better. It got through 600 of 3000 songs without much issue, However after about 1000 are synced the app starts to randomly close again. 

Here's the output from my device logs:

Aug 20 08:36:21 Toms-iPhone backboardd[28] <Warning>: Application 'UIKitApplication:com.apple.mobilemail[0x89e2]' exited abnormally with signal 9: Killed: 9
Aug 20 08:36:21 Toms-iPhone backboardd[28] <Warning>: Application 'UIKitApplication:com.spotify.client[0x5e24]' exited abnormally with signal 9: Killed: 9
Aug 20 08:36:22 Toms-iPhone SpringBoard[34] <Warning>: Memory level is not normal or this app was killed by jetsam. Pending auto-relaunch of 'com.apple.mobilemail'.
Aug 20 08:36:22 Toms-iPhone wifid[15] <Notice>: WiFi:[461748982.809437]: Foreground Network Application exited.
Aug 20 08:36:22 Toms-iPhone wifid[15] <Notice>: WiFi:[461748982.811379]: BG Application: Not Present, BG Daemon: Present. Daemons: apsd networkd itunesstored
Aug 20 08:36:23 Toms-iPhone SpringBoard[34] <Warning>: [MPUSystemMediaControls] Updating supported commands for now playing application.
Aug 20 08:36:24 Toms-iPhone ReportCrash[8138] <Notice>: Saved crashreport to /Library/Logs/CrashReporter/LowMemory-2015-08-20-083624.ips using uid: 0 gid: 0, synthetic_euid: 0 egid: 0

It seems like Spotify struggles to manage its memory use as the number of offline songs grows. 

I found this article on Apple.com about ideal router settings.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202068

I changed my settings and sync is going MUUCH faster.  It's not as fast at home as it is on some other networks, but it sync'd a 113 song playlist in about an hour... FAR faster than the 1song/10-15min it was before.

it's worth a try

I have 3 I phone 4s on spotify with EXACTLY THE SAME problem! I have been just putting up with it, but have been getting more and more fustrated. I think I should just cancel them all. 

RDIO WAS NOT LIKE THIS! I can't believe rdio is gone.

Suggested posts