Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify needs an iOS 7 facelift!

Solved!

Spotify needs an iOS 7 facelift!

Spotify couldn't look more out of place in Apple's new iOS7 interface.

Take a look, as compared with Rdio's updated app on the left (thanks to @Batman for the suggestion; see his post below):

image.jpg 9273e2ef-b56a-4260-aefc-2b04f6e88929.jpeg

Rdio's stunning blurred background, icons,  menus, and typography fit seamlessly with Apple's new flat, "glass-like" style.

Pandora and iHeartRadio have also made minor tweaks to their apps to fit in. Spotify's hideous experience, however, will probably make me choose one of these other services until my music looks beautiful again.

If you don't have iOS 7 yet, the difference my not seem as stark to you, and you might think I'm nit-picking, but it makes Spotify a really poor experience on an new iPhones.

Does this bother you too? Please throw some Kudos my way so we can get this fixed ASAP!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

We're definitely working very hard on an iOS 7 update for Spotify, and it definitely will not be one year away, can't give you an exact estimate when it's going to be available on the AppStore, but we're nearing the finish line.

I really like the design mockups you guys post here, if you got any additional mockups to show, please share them with us and if anything stands out and are exceptionally great, we'll definitely discuss them internally and see if we can get some inspiration from them when improving the design in our app.

This goes for both platforms, iPhone and iPad.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

I'll post this, it's my favorite so far:

(unfortunately german, but just looking at the pics is enough)

http://www.macmania.at/allgemein/exklusiv-spotify-redesign-im-ios-7-style/

Example:

Ios7

Marked as solution

Oh, Spotify is still a thing? Hahaha I kept Spotify on my iPhone for the new update JUST TO SEE if it made it look better.

Truth is I jumped ship and hit Rdio like 3 weeks ago. And have not had any regrets at all. Like a whole 2 albums are absent and I'm sure they'll get there.

Rdio not only looks better, and has, but also organizes and plays better. At first I thought Spotify was the end all be all of music streaming players and refused to switch because of how much time and stuff I invested but when I hit that magical "3,333" song save cap, I died laughing and searched around. Rdio now has my heart.

It astonishes me how long Spotify has been around and how far behind they are in the market feature-wise.

I will always love the and miss the pretty green, but I downloaded the newest update and... Well, it's laughable. It furthered my lack of regret switching to Rdio. Rdio is perfect, looks better, easier to organize, and works seamlessly with the PC counterpart and, oh wait for it... I CAN SAVE ANY AMOUNT OF MUSIC MY 64GB HEART CAN HOLD. That's what I burials turned me off, and now the look hasn't gotten better... Meh. Have fun. Deleted the app, not looking back.

It was a good run. ❤️

40 Replies

Hi there @rrobson2!

I support your suggestion in giving Spotify a cosmetic change as iOS 7 begins to slowly put itself on a lot of peoples' mobile devices. However, iOS was just released within the past 24 hours and so you should give Spotify some time in terms of getting itself on track for the latest iOS update.

I'm sure the team is already working on something as we speak...
Spotify on!
Mikey

Spotify | Twitter

Did you like this post? Please add kudos below!
Did this post solve your issue? Accept it as a solution below!

I just ran into this BEAUTIFUL re-design mockup for an iOS 7 version. All credits to "Made by Jake" via Dribbble.

http://dribbble.com/shots/1205309-Spotify-re-designed-for-iOS-7-Take-1?list=searches

I also wanted to post this one! It looks realy great. 

old vs Mockup http://ios7redesigns.tumblr.com/image/59011636090

Well we all know that if they do this, it probably won't happen till next year, maybe.

Or they'll announce it and do an insanely slow roll out of it that takes many months.

While they are updated I would love it if they would give us a landscape view? I tend to use my phone as a GPS and put it sideways. It would be great if the display would allow for landscape view too.

Has anyone else had the issue of spotify not connecting to the internet on ios7

Hi everyone!

If you like the suggestion, you should try to find something similar in the suggestions section of the community and give it some kudos. This will make sure that the developers/staff know exactly what is you guys want them to work on next.

If you're having any technical issues with the software due to the new iOS update, please start a new topic so someone can get in touch with you as soon as possible.

Spotify on!
Mikey

Spotify | Twitter

Did you like this post? Please add kudos below!
Did this post solve your issue? Accept it as a solution below!

Plus on iOS7 the new control centre works by swiping up from the very bottom of the screen. The problem with this is that this gesture is also how you access 'now playing' in Spotify, so therefore this area of Spotify needs moving.

I second this.

But forget using Pandora as an example, Rdio's app is absolutely beautiful and blows every other streaming service out the water.

http://i.imgur.com/qcZFvXo.jpg

Rdio blends in perfectly with iOS 7. The irony of it all though is that Rdio refreshed its interface literally months before iOS 7 was even announced. I'm a very visual person, so using a music app that's aestetically pleasing is very important to me. Unfortuantley, Spotify looks very dated and uninspired compared to other apps. I've been debating the past few months whether to switch to Rdio because Spotify's interface and features are spotty and glitchy...even on the best of days.

Yes, agree completely with you on Rdio!

I somehow managed to forget about it when writing this post and had to use Pandora instead, but I also considered switching. I really hope Spotify's team decides to join the modern-UI world before it gets stuck in the past.

I've actually just updated my post to include Rdio as the example instead, thanks for pointing that out.

Marked as solution

We're definitely working very hard on an iOS 7 update for Spotify, and it definitely will not be one year away, can't give you an exact estimate when it's going to be available on the AppStore, but we're nearing the finish line.

I really like the design mockups you guys post here, if you got any additional mockups to show, please share them with us and if anything stands out and are exceptionally great, we'll definitely discuss them internally and see if we can get some inspiration from them when improving the design in our app.

This goes for both platforms, iPhone and iPad.

Hi Bengan,

Thanks for commenting here.  I was mostly joking when I said it would take a year and really do actually appreciate all the work that goes into maintaining and updating Spotify.  It is still the best service out there.

I'm just a bit frustrated the "Collection" feature isn't out yet as that is my most anticipated from the announcement last year. 🙂

Hi Bengan!

Really happy to hear it! Hopefully it's sooner rather than later!

I think something along the lines of what Tunigo's app looked like (of course modernized for iOS 7) would work well. But I really liked the layout of their now playing view and ability to see the play queue.

tunigo

Is there also any update on when the new playlist view and new now playing view would be coming for more users? It was announced over a month ago and I'm still not seeing anything.

Marked as solution

I'll post this, it's my favorite so far:

(unfortunately german, but just looking at the pics is enough)

http://www.macmania.at/allgemein/exklusiv-spotify-redesign-im-ios-7-style/

Example:

Ios7

I agree with this whole heartedly. It's sad, but I'm really finding myself using Spotify less simple because it does not look iOS7-ie at all.

• I hope the restyling will bring also landscape mode...... and will not take the same time (never)

+1 for the landscape mode.

But the update from this morning is sadly not a facelift ...

Suggested posts