Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Touch Preview on iOS removal

Touch Preview on iOS removal

Hey folks, Spotify here!

Just a quick post to let you know we’re in the process of removing Touch Preview, the feature on the iOS app that gives you a sneak peek of a playlist, song, album, or artist before you hit play.

We’ve taken this decision as it currently has a very low engagement rate. We’re committed to offering the best experience on each platform, and we’re actively looking into new possibilities for the long press feature.

The change will take effect with app version 8.4.15, which goes live in the App Store today.

We’d love to hear your thoughts on what long press feature you’d like to see added. Thanks in advance for sharing your feedback!

427 Replies

Totally agree here. The feature is great, but i had to explain it to friends before they knew it was there in the first place.

i am not saying you should onboard users all the time with page indicated screens that kill the experience, but the introduction was poorly designed. Sometimes new cool behaviour needs to be told if you want users to adapt.

that said, and let me put it out there once: BRING BACK THE FEATURE, i wonder What other interactions could be linked to long press / 3D touch. Uhmmmmmm... song preview? 😉

Please guys, restore it

Spoiler

<We’ve taken this decision as it currently has a very low engagement rate.>

Probably because almost all users didn't know this trick...

Hi spotify. 

Is there really a problem with contracts with artists or record companies in this judgment?

PLEASE start listening to your customers! We ARE paying you for this service.

The list of things you have made worse keeps growing...

- Removal of apps

- Removal of ability to searching on all pages

- Changed font size and spacing so that only a third of the old amount of songs fit on screen

Now with this latest trick you have reached an all time low. I waited several several years for this feature on Android, and when I finally got it as I switched to Iphone, you remove it. 

WHY can these things not be user decided in the settings? Opt-in of course so that you get your way with the masses... Or allow us to mod to the player. What is stopping you? Why do you never listen to your customers? Never a compromise. Spotify always knows best.

I don't get it.  Why remove an awesome feature that lets the user find new music to listen to easily?  Due to "low engagement rate"?  I used song preview pretty much every time I used the app.  I've been a Spotify member for a long time, I remember when the desktop version used to have song preview and it was taken away from us.  Now it has been removed from the IOS app too?  PLEASE Spotify, bring back song preivew to both the desktop and IOS app!!  I am far more likely to listen to an entire song that I am not familiar with if I can listen to a short preview of the song to see if I like it.

Tweet @SpotifyCares and tell them you want Touch Preview back.

If they give you the "more info about this here" link, keep tweeting them.

We will have this feature back by the end of the month.

I strongly recommend everyone to do the same. At least they reply and at
some point it will caught up their attention in public.

Why would you take this away!!!! I find it hard to believe it wasn't used much. I used it  on most of my music. Plus when looking for new music it was a really neat way to sample a song.  I also have memory problems so it helped me remember what the tracks sounded like. Please please please bring this back. Even if it is just an option that can be turned on/off. 

I loved this preview. Low engagement rate? Honestly I was telling more and more people about it. Got a few friends to get spotify just for this feature!

The worst decision you've made... this is a truly set back for Spotify... I hope you review this decision, it was one of best features on Spotify!

Is this an update or a downgrade? You removed a really useful tool. I have a big frustration when I try to touch to preview a song and fail. This was my favorite feature. Please bring it back.  And if it doesn't come back I will cancel my premium subscription. 

Just why?

Even if it does have a "low engagement rate" there are still people that use it and there is no point in removing it. It doesn't make any sense to remove a feature. I'd understand if people didn't like it but as you can see people really want it back. 

Please bring it back!

I would like to see this function return. 

so, you're saying "it has a very low engagement rate" and by that i'm assuming the tap&hold has low engagement rate. but, also you're expecting new ideas for tap&hold.

please explain this to me, how the "new idea" will have a HUGE engagement rate, if people don't aware of tap&hold feature?

the best possible feature is preview, i can't think anything better besides that.

if you really care and want people to "discover" things on spotify, you should restore touch preview!

i've been using spotify for 8 years and this is the dumbest change i've ever seen. for shame!

Worst decision ever made. I thought something was wrong with my phone when I couldn't preview music. Now that it's confirmed Spotify removed this feature on purpose I'm cancelling my subscription. 

'A very low engagement rate'? Are you kidding me? That is absolute BS. Touch preview is a feature every music streaming application because it's helpful and people use it! If it wasn't, other companies like iMusic wouldn't have this feature, either! BUT THEY DO!

You need to bring this back. When I purchased premium, I purchased the touch preview feature, too. You shouldn't be able to take away something I paid for because of money or whatever corporate business scheme you're trying to pull with Android and Apple. I wish I had never bought premium. I want my money back so that I can subscribe to an application with touch preview. When my subscription ends with spotify, I'm not renewing it and I'm going somewhere else if it isn't added back.

This pisses me off so much. You completely screwed all of us over. I used to recommend Spotify to Pandora users, but now I'm going to make sure that warn people and tell them to invest their money elsewhere.

What a joke. The one feature that really kept me interested in Spotify over Apple Music. Bad enough you won't introduce filtering explicit music, but to take away such a great feature is a real step backwards.  Likely the only reason you removed it was because it was taking a toll on your servers with users previewing songs using the Touch Preview. Anyway, and now you are saying we need to vote for it?????????  Idiotic move. 

it was a major factor in music discovery for me, now that it's gone it seems more convenient for me to just go to Apple Music, it was a major part of what drew me to Spotify...

It's absolutely disappointing! Touch-Preview was such a nice and modern feature, showing the innovationability of an independent development crew. You are on your way loosing music enthusiasts... possibly this is what you like to. Do what you want, but why ask your community afterwards???? It's... unrespectful!

Suggested posts