Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Touch Preview on iOS removal

Touch Preview on iOS removal

Hey folks, Spotify here!

Just a quick post to let you know we’re in the process of removing Touch Preview, the feature on the iOS app that gives you a sneak peek of a playlist, song, album, or artist before you hit play.

We’ve taken this decision as it currently has a very low engagement rate. We’re committed to offering the best experience on each platform, and we’re actively looking into new possibilities for the long press feature.

The change will take effect with app version 8.4.15, which goes live in the App Store today.

We’d love to hear your thoughts on what long press feature you’d like to see added. Thanks in advance for sharing your feedback!

427 Replies

Need this feature back!! It helped me find new music and remember what a song sounded like. It's one of the best parts of Spotify 

Does anyone else know if there are other streaming services that have this feature?  If another service offers it, I'll cancel my spotify and switch in a heartbeat.  

That's the bizarre thing about it, you would think Apple would but as far as I know they don't. I'm hoping Apple will not only include this feature soon but add force touch as an additional layer. So in addition to previewing the song you then 'forces touch' it to go directly to that song. Someone will catch wind of it.

You really like to **bleep** things up, Spotify …

What a stupid idea, why remove it? If you want to replace it with something bette then consult the community on what first then replace it.

just removing it and leaving nothing in its place is a sheer FU to the people who pay month on month for this service. 

Or alternatively, why not offer a choice in the app? Other apps have given users choices on what force touch does. I'm sure you are capable of this Spotify 

I would switch music providers instantly if I figured out if someone else had this. I may go to Apple Music soon because of this.  They don't take features away that their fans wanted. I don't see how this costs spotify anything to keep the feature in the app. Simple solution: ADD AN OPTION FOR ON/OFF. 

I love the Touch Preview. I think you should leave it for the people that like to use it.

THIS was why I loved Spotify! It was the best music discovery app, and would encourage you to quickly find new songs and artists efficiently and easily. I am very unhappy about this decision... I've been thinking of going Apple Music but I have been the biggest Spotify advocate for a long time and create lots of playlists to share witb others, and I say they have to use Spotify to get them. Now I might as well switch like everyone else is, hope it comes back soon before it's too late.

Absolutely miserable decision, considering that was one of the best features of this app. I as well as many of my friends (and, from what I can see here, everyone on this forum) are so much less motivated to use this app now. Poor, poor choice on your part. 

Please don't do this. Please.

Please bring it back..............it is  the reasons I prefer spotify to your competitors - but now I might as well stop using spotify and use apple music instead!

This feature was the best one... please bring it back !

Please, bring us the touch preview back. If you are concerned about the engagement rate, you should promote the feature MUCH more. 

I discovered it myself like six months ago, and as I was madly searching the cause of its disappearance, I found out that it is much older feature that I even knew. I think that is a shame, because using Spotify is not nearly as smooth as it was with touch preview.. I and WE really need you to think this removal twice. 

In the worst case, we need to propose this idea to Deezer, so that people can enjoy discovering music again. 

Sorry, this might have been little over the line, but I mean this is how much I need this feature back! 

Thank you.

I would love to hear one person defend this horrendously reckless decision. Who's pulling the levers at this company? Do you guys actually hate your customers? Do you want me to cancel my subscription? What the **bleep** was the motivation here??

Correct me if I'm wrong on this:  android users get to keep the feature but iOS lose out?  Is there some kind of backroom deal going with Android since it's not as popular as Apple iOS and trying to hurt the sales of Apple?  Apple dominates the market. Has Apple had any problems with their devices bursting into flames??  

Android never had this feature, only promised by Spotify.

This feature removal made quite huge response, but still no response from any Spotify representative....At least we have our kudos and badges we can stack up our a*****. Bleh. I hate this useless PR bull*hit.

I am an app developer too. Your customers are screaming about this on your review. I barely use my Spotify app now that this is removed. Can I ask, is this really due to low engagement or is this a licensing issue??? I felt this was one of the most liked feature of any app I've used and it helped me discover new material I never would have known. Please either reconsider our be real about the reason. 

Sorry guys, you have a good service but now you're no match for Apple/Watch3 combo... I wouldn't even have started looking for a replacement streaming service but the exclusion of TP did it for me. I was a 'Premium' customer and now I have to say I have zero interest even in your free service nor do I care what your next move is at this point. Therefore I will unsubsribe to this and all other threads and not look back since I will be purchasing the W3 in a few days and drinking more of that Apple KoolAid. Apple appears to listen more to their customers then you, a company a fraction of their size, how does that happen? I/We tried to help you but it's obvious you are too big for your own skin, and this will turn for you unfortunatley. Good luck, sorry you blew it.

Spotify- this was an abhorrent UI decision! I used this feature EVERY DAY and you axed  it for a trivial reason! Who is making these choices??? How can I quickly browse a playlist I may want to listen to? Now, I have to stop my current song to preview an unknown song! Sad!!! 😤😭😣 Apple Music may have that greener grass after all. 

Touch preview was a great feature, and removing it is simply moronic. Just like the reasoning behind it.

@JackF wrote:

"...We’ve taken this decision as it currently has a very low engagement rate. We’re committed to offering the best experience on each platform, and we’re actively looking into new possibilities for the long press feature."

Low engagement rate? Really? Sounds an awful lot like a sophism. Ofcourse it had a low engagement rate, this feature was available on just a single platform! Besides; how, and perhaps more importantly; WHY do you measure engagement on a feature that only gets used incidentally anyway? Why even go through the trouble of removing it, if you aren't even replacing it? I'm a programmer/developer myself, and to me this seems an awful lot like a weak attempt to justify utter nonsense.

Like I've said before; sounds an awful lot like a sophism.

[In the immortal words of Cpt. Phasma: "Crush the resistance!"]

Suggested posts