Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Volume Normalisation not working

Volume Normalisation not working

Plan

Premium

Country

United Kingdom

Device

(iPhone 13

Operating System

(iOS 15.1.1

My Question or Issue

I have an issue that when I am listening to music the volume of each song is different so I find myself having to keep turning my music up and down every time a new song is on. I understand that artists, producers etc make songs with different levels and volumes etc but why have a volume normalisation toggle in the settings if it can't normalise at least some of the songs I listen to. Its getting to be every song I'm listening to and its even worse if I play it through my Sonos speaker. Please get this fixed

12 Replies

Hey @Andrewtaylor2805,

Welcome to the Community and thanks for reaching out to us!

Could you let us know what troubleshooting steps you've tried so far so we avoid repeating them? If you haven't already, try performing a clean reinstall of the app.

Feel free to also switch between the volume levels (try switching to Loud or Quiet). In case you have another mobile device available, try these settings on it as well to see if there's a difference.

Keep us posted on this.

Cheers!

YordanModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I have noticed this as well and not only recently. It seems this never has been fixed at all. Despite the frequent clean installs and changing settings this option just isn't working. Changing volume levels doesn't do anything as well. Loud, Normal or Quiet there's no difference whatsoever. Not on my MacBook or Android phone, or the previous ones.

I'm having the same problem, and reinstalling the app does not help at all. I'm streaming music through Sonos, and when I'm listening to a playlist with older and newer songs, the older music is always very quiet, while the newer songs are louder. I have the impression that volume normalisation actually does nothing at all 😞

Hey @Siskablabla,

Thanks for reaching out.

Can you please send us a few links of the tracks that have different volume levels so we can try to reproduce the issue on our end?

Looking forward to your reply.

Take care,

Kiril Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

I'm having this problem as well. For example, this piece must be played with the volume at nearly maximum levels to be heard. https://open.spotify.com/track/6D2CAH4cFMWVEMbTqLQrp7?si=CatEzS98TzeybChqhUfvVQ&utm_source=copy-link you can imagine what happens when it's over and I don't grab the phone quickly enough!

I really hope this can be fixed. I didn't have this problem until a few weeks ago, now the volume levels are all over the place.  the normalization option is unavailable even after uninstalling/ reinstalling.

Hey @Catherinenev,

Thank you for keeping in contact and for the info shared.

Taking into account the song you sent, it's possible that the author (or rights holder) has uploaded the track at that lower volume. However, we want to know if this happens as well when using a different device or the Web Player.

Also, would you mind checking if this volume difference happens when connected through an external speaker/headphones or if with the device's speaker happens too?

Lastly, to have more examples and continue investigating this case, it would be great if you could share some more links with affected songs to have a better amount to test it.

We'll be on the lookout.

OscarDCModerator

Hi Kiril, this song is an example of a song whose volume is a lot lower than others: https://open.spotify.com/track/4KFM3A5QF2IMcc6nHsu3Wp?si=IcHMUUZrQcC0slud2G1Glg&utm_source=copy-link...

FYI, I usually play music via Sonos or via Bluetooth in my car

Hey @Siskablabla

Thanks for getting back to us. 

We tried this on our end, but we couldn't replicate it. 

Just to confirm, does the same happen if you use a different device (such as a different phone) with Bluetooth in your car? Also, sending us the the exact make/model, operating system and Spotify version of your device would come in handy. We'd also like to know if this happens when you're streaming directly on your devices as well. 

On another note, has this always happened or did it start happening after a specific event such as an update?

We'll be on the lookout.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Actually, normalization of the loudness works on the local device but doesn't work if you send a stream from the phone for playing on a network device. In that case, the normalized settings are not active on the phone (iOS). And there are no options to make it active on the device. In my specific case, the network streaming device is Arylic player. 

Hey @vtomberg,

Thanks for the reply.

The normalization settings are available only on the casting device and they're not available on external playback devices.

Hope this clears things a bit,

Cheers!

DianModerator

Ok, so when are you going to fix this?

Hello everyone,

to answer to the moderators Kiril and Jordan, I mostly play music thru Google nest Wi-Fi speakers 95% of the time and what I mostly play are playlists created by Spotify, and I have to listen to my wife saying the music is too loud, only to lower the volume and not hear anything for the next 1/2 hour.

I'm sorry guys but a normalisation functions that is so restrictive is well, I'll be civil here, but you get the gist. I mean, how many users listen to music on the device that device the music is played on. Yes, there a lot of earbuds in the world, but for those that listen to music at home or the office, we have better things to do than be a "human normalisation device".

Everyone enjoy Spotify, and Spotify keep up the good work.

Regards Ray 

Suggested posts