iOS Carplay Null Error

Plan

Premium

Device

iPhone 6

Operating System

iOS 12

My Question or Issue

Spotify has been poor at connecting via Apple Carplay for a while - and it’s the only app I’m having issues with. Upon connecting and starting Carplay and selecting Spotify, a blank screen will often appear on my vehicle’s display. Unlocking my phone via fingerprint seems to be the only workaround, which is dangerous - but it brings Spotify to life. This wasn’t needed previously. In addition, I often get the attached error. Is a reliable Carplay connection too much to ask, Spotify? I hope too much attention isn’t being poured into your feud with Apple at the expense of your paying subscribers’ experience x 

4FAA414C-7772-4482-920C-7725A05976BA.png
11 Replies

Hi there!

I know it sounds simple, but it's often overlooked. Could you try restarting your device? If that doesn't help, try a quick clean reinstall of the app. Just follow these steps.

I'd also recommend updating to iOS 12.1.4 🙂

If you're still having trouble, could you let me know the exact version of Spotify and the exact version of the operating system you're running?

I'll see what I can suggest next!

Thanks. I'm on the latest version of iOS (12.1.4) and have also rebooted my device and done a clean install of the Spotify app. 

Though the problem is still intermittent, it is persisting. Also see the attached screen shot. It flits between doing this, or the 'null' error previously mentioned.

Many thanks.

IMG_5317.PNG

Hey @tweeters,

Sorry for the late reply 🙂

Could you tell me what is the car model?

Please make sure all the latest updates are installed.

Let me know how that goes.

Yes, it’s a Skoda Fabia (2016) - software all up to date as of its last service in Jan 2019. 

I can’t imagine it would be down to the car as all of the other apps work without issue in Carplay. 

Hey @tweeters,

Some CarPlay issues seem to be under investigation here.

Please add your +VOTE and details there.

Thanks 🙂

Hi, same Problem on my 2018 Mercedes C-Class and IPhone 7+. The Problem is that my privat 7+ has the failure but my company 7+ not?!

Exactly same error. Kia Ceed SW 2019, iPhone XR iOS 12.2.

Exact same problem, aftermarket Sony XAV-AX5000. Only problems with Spotify.

Same issue with BMW car play - very frustrating

It happens very very very often on my Mazda cx3 and Mini Clubman.

it’s definitely a Spotify issue. I tried with deezer and had no probs. CarPlay has been the only reason to keep my AM subscription alive for the past three months...

Turning off bluetooth on my phone helped cure this same issue in my carplay enabled vehicle.  When the phone's bluetooth was on, my phone would automatically link to the car's entertainment system on startup, only to be overridden moments later by carplay once the phone was plugged in to the car's USB port.   With bluetooth off, that eliminated the conflict - and the Spotify app has worked flawlessly. 

Suggested posts