Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS][Playlists] Add an option for what to do with filtered results on a playlist

Solved!

[iOS][Playlists] Add an option for what to do with filtered results on a playlist

Today when I was about to take a shower I felt like listening to the Kendrick Lamar songs in my main playlist with all my songs, obviously, I don't like ALL the songs from Kendrick, that's why I have a playlist with a lot of songs from him but not every song.. So I typed Kendrick Lamar, got the results and pressed play just to get surprised when the next song had nothing to do with the results I got before.

I read some posts about this from 2019 and this year and you the answers say that the change was intentional.. however, in my desktop app I get the "old" behavior (Spotify puts the filtered results in the queue) but my iPhone doesn't agree with that and just plays whatever is next in the playlist or a random song if shuffle is on of course.

So, many people prefer one over the other for what I can see.. so why don't just add an option that changes this behavior? I don't think I want to make a playlist for EVERY artist I have in my playlist, that would be cumbersome and unintuitive, right?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

So, after checking Reddit I was informed that the Liked playlist still has the “old” behavior, so I guess I’ll use that and have to workaround adding local songs to that list, please, if the devs see this, don’t **bleep** up the Liked playlist or the app even more, if it wasn’t for the 6 months that I already paid it would’ve left this app…

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Hey there @carlhr93,

Thanks for getting in touch about this.

Keep in mind that the Play queue is generated depending on the song/album/playlist you play first, but it will change if you start playing something else.

If you listen to a playlist, but then you filter the songs in it and click play from one of songs you filtered, a new Play queue will start based on those results only.

If you start listening to an album/playlist and want to continue listening to it after playing a specific song you found after filtering, you need to make sure to add that song to the queue so the original Play queue isn't affected.

You mentioned that after filtering your playlist, you got different results. In this case, we suggest that you make sure to clear your queue first and then try filtering the playlist again.

If this doesn't do the trick, it's well worth running a clean reinstall to get rid of any cached files that might be causing trouble. This one is more thorough than the usual one.

Let us know how it goes.

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Thanks for answering.

The problem still stands, as I said, it works as “expected” on my PC, if I search for an artist or just any filter and play one of the results the queue will only have songs that where in that filter, that’s what I want, but in the last update for my iPhone it doesn’t do that, if I play one song the next one will be a random song that WASNT in the filtered results so now I’m forced to add like 30 songs manually to the queue because of this..

It has nothing to do with clearing the queue because I’m not adding songs different from my result or anything like that, I have also reinstalled the app and it didn’t do anything.

So in a few words, Spotify is just doing shuffle after I play a song instead of queueing the results from my filter.

Hey there @carlhr93

Thanks for getting back to us. 

Could you ask a friend or a relative to log in to their account in your phone to check if the issue persists with a different account?

Additionally, sending us the exact make/model, operating system and Spotify version of your phone would come in handy.

Keep us posted.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

I already tried with my friend’s iPhone 11 and his own account and got the same result, random songs instead of queueing filtered results, I can’t let him log in my phone right now, so that’s a no go.. I’m running Spotify 8.6.66.1248, iPhone 12 128gb and iOS 15.0.

Hi @carlhr93

Thanks for getting back to us 🙂

Could you check if there are any updates of the app with these steps?

In case nothing changes, you can send us a video recording of what you're seeing. We'll look into this further.

Keep us posted.

Ver Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Yes, I got an update, updated and... https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZQX0tILdzTPmd0UMEmMDTaxWLtFjA_mi/view?usp=sharing there you can observe my results.. in the first part I show you the version, then I show you that this last update now lags A LOT when searching in my main playlist with almost all my songs and at last you can see how it still has the same behavior... 😕

EDIT: ALSO, now when using Spotify Connect (to play songs from my iPhone to my PC) the songs in my large playlists (4000+ songs) they just don't play, nothing happens when I tap a song, but it works when tapping on a small playlist. Holy cow...

Hey @carlhr93,

Thanks for keeping us posted 🙂

We can confirm that this is an expected behavior. When you use the search within playlist function to play a specific song from that playlist while using the mobile app, the rest of the play queue is populated from the playlist as a whole. All the content from a playlist will be played.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback regarding this as we always strive to improve our app.

You can also give these steps a go and submit your suggestion so other users can also support it.

Regarding the issue with the large playlists-it's a good idea to try adding the songs to separate playlists to see if that makes a difference.

Hope this helps. If you need anything else, the Community is here for you.

Ver Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

It doesn’t help at all… I guess I’m gonna be making 1000 playlists then.

Everything was working just fine last month that I even paid 6 months in advance.. if I would’ve known.

Marked as solution

So, after checking Reddit I was informed that the Liked playlist still has the “old” behavior, so I guess I’ll use that and have to workaround adding local songs to that list, please, if the devs see this, don’t **bleep** up the Liked playlist or the app even more, if it wasn’t for the 6 months that I already paid it would’ve left this app…

Suggested posts