Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Using spotify on older, unsupported systems

[iOS] Using spotify on older, unsupported systems

Sometimes you just don't want to buy the latest, coolest gadget; or upgrade to the latest OS. Sometimes you're very happy with what you have, and that's completely ok.

But then sometimes you get left behind and, although your gadget still works fine; and you're not using pastels on a daily basis, not all apps remain available for your trusty friend.

If you're using an older Apple device and can't, or just don't want to upgrade to the latest operating system, but you really love Spotify (of course you do, otherwise you would have stopped reading long before getting here (thank you, btw)), then you still have options.

Not too long ago Apple enabled everyone with an older device, running iOS 4.2 or later, to still get those apps they love; that includes you!

• If you previously installed Spotify on one of your iDevices, you'll find it in your device's App Store under the Purchased tab.
  • If you didn't previously install, or you're using a new Apple account, just go to the App Store in iTunes and download Spotify. It doesn't matter what version that is; you just need to have Spotify as a "Purchased" app on your Apple account.

Now you can go back to the Purchased tab on your device, and you should find Spotify there. Hit that Install button and you should be offered the option to download a previous version.

Both options should work for everyone, but we've had reports of folks in some countries not being offered the previous version. If this happens to you, you can try making a US Apple account and following the same steps, above.

Community Ergo Sum
30 Replies

I have the spotify app already purchased in iTunes, but when I try to download it to my older ipod touch, there's no option to get a previous version. It just says I need to upgrade my ios to 6.0 for the app to work. Help!

I'm sorry but it doesn't work this way. To register for an American Itunes account, you have to provide accurate information and address details. It also asks for payment options.

I really don't understand why Spotify and Apple cannot give the Ipad 1 users the app that we want. I am also a premium spotify user. But with the lack of support from both, I wonder if it is really worth it.

I have seen so many enquiries in to this by some many users of the iPad 1. Wht can;t you get your heads together and come up with a solution for UK users?

You have to ask here why it is necessary to create an american account to et on the USA Itunes for the app that DOES work. Yet doe not on the UK ???

@baxismiths wrote:

I'm sorry but it doesn't work this way. To register for an American Itunes account, you have to provide accurate information and address details. It also asks for payment options.

You don't have to actually, though Apple does try and force you to enter in payment info. I'm not sure of the way to do it via a mobile device, though if you have iTunes installed on a desktop, go to the iTunes store, and you can switch to the American store. Make sure you sign out of your account in the store. Find the app, go to download it, it will prompt you to sign in. Click the link to register an account, and fill out the form. Because it's a free app, the option to provide no payment info will appear. Select that, and just make up some random US address.

The app will then download, and you can sync it over to your device.

I have the exact same problem. ios Version 6.1.6 is as far as my iPod touch 4 Gen will go. No option to buy/download to my USA iTunes account. Tells me I need to have 7.0 for current Spotify. I didn't previously purchase it in an older form. I guess no monthly money from me to Spotify.

@JudithKaneC 

You need to search the app store for "Spotify for iOS 6"

Instructions are here:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-iOS-iPhone-iPad-iPod-Touch/iOS-6-Support-after-the-1-9-0-updat...

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Ive never purchased spotify so it wouldnt come under purchased theres probs no other way to get it but does any one know of a way

This is so frustrating. I went to the trouble of creating a US account in iTunes on my iMac (NOTE: don't try this until after you've clicked to download Spotify and it prompts you to create an account; otherwise, if you do it unprompted, it won't let you create an account without entering a valid payment option), downloaded Spotify, synced it to my connected iPod Touch 2nd Gen and ... sync failed, just as it does with my Canadian account. Frankly, as far as I could tell I was attempting to sync the same app... Well, not now. I just deleted it, reinstalled it while still in my US account and re-synced – to no avail. This is especially annoying because I just upgraded to premium. A few months ago, I had no trouble using Spotify because after it prompted me to upgrade to iOS 7, it installed anyway (i.e., the old version). But today, not so much.

Later: SOLVED. I had to switch to my US account on my iPod. Then I DLed Spotify right inside the iPod, it offered to install a compatible version and ... bob's yer uncle. So far, at least.

Hi I am using a Lenovo and just installed the latest Spotify, hate it, the old one was much better, how do go  back to old version on Lenovo, I also have an ipad mini

Hi @user-removed, if you are having any issues with the desktop app on Windows, I'd suggest making a post over on the Windows desktop forum. Are you having any issues with the iOS app on your iPad Mini?

I went back in to my app store from my ipod and this time it had a download from "cloud" instead of the regular install option. When I selected the cloud button, pop up window came up that said it would download the older compatible version I selected aggree/ok. It worked and downloaded just fine.

Hi I will be using Lenarvo laptop. Any ideas please?

Hi. Thanks so much. Will try that later.

Pam

I am trying to download spotify onto an old ipod 3rd gen w ios 4.2.1  I tried the following advice and it does not work.  when trying to download spotify, it just gives me the error message that i need to have at least IOS 8 or higher to download - and then it kicks me out.

I need help please. ???? 🙂  Thanks.

I'm not Spotify support but if you followed the video closely you'd see that the solution works on a 4th gen ipod not 3rd gen.  It worked flawlessly on my iphone 3 with ios 6.

It's June 3rd 2017, and I'm on iOS 6.1.2, because let's be frank here, we all know the new OS is brainwashed garbage, and this totally still works. Thanks for the tip!~

It eventually worked for me using the following steps:

1. Via iTunes on the laptop I downloaded Spotify.
  2. Ensure the iPhone is linked to iTunes.
  3. Go to the Apps section and drag the Spotify app to the iPhone.  This step will fail, but after this the app will appear in the "Purchased" section of the App Store on the phone.
  4. Install Spotify on the phone, at which point it'll prompt you to download that last known compatable version.

In between all of this I had to reboot the phone and restart iTunes for them to see each other properly, and I had to authorise the iTunes to use the app store.

As of a recent update to iTunes for computer, the second option no longer works. There is no way to purchase apps on the aforementioned new iTunes. (If there is a way, I simply do not see it.) It was stated that the computer version is "shifting to a focus on music," and thus we are without a method of downloading older apps to legacy iOS versions without buying or owning an Apple device that is compatible with the up-to-date version of the app in question. If you, dear reader and/or author, know of a work-around to install older app versions that does not involve jail-breaking- please leave a reply. 

im having this same issue only its says i have to update 8.0 bu when i try its says that the ipod is up to date? what do i do

Same here

Suggested posts