Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

iPhone screen locking while playing and connected to charger

Solved!

iPhone screen locking while playing and connected to charger

iPhone screen locks while plugged in, I’d like to see album art and song title while I drive but it automatically locks after 2 minutes even though it’s plugged in.

141 Replies

That would mean they actually removed code as in an iOS app, you'd need
additional code to have the screen on (previous behavior) so technically
they have undone a feature that was implemented without thinking of its
impact to users who rely on this behavior.

The correct way to handle this would simple be by configuration (defaulting
to existing behavior, and letting users opt out of this feature if they
choose to do so). This is software design 101

This issue is not solved. Please fix it. 

The fact that the screen dims could really put drivers in risk of distracted driving. This is a feature that is very imporant to those who drive as a living. 

It also could potentially force users to switch to another service that does offer this feature.

This issue is not solved! Please fix it quickly. 

So frustrating while driving. Hazardous as well. 

this ifunction is so imortant that I at the moment look at other aplications

Still not fixed as of today's 8/16 update.

This isn't a solution to the problem. 

still not fixed

Completely ludicrous this was not patched the second it was reported.

This is a corporate FAIL on part of Spotify.
At least the News is getting out there ....

https://www.reddit.com/r/spotify/comments/csawse/spotify_refuses_to_fix_driving_hazard_calls_it_a/

@katerina

Please provide us with an update on this issue. 

This issue is not solved! Please fix it and stop being disingenuous. You all need to acknowledge that you removed behavior wanted and expected by users, and reinstate it, or people like me will be leaving for other services.

This seems to also be the case for Apple Music. Spotify team, if this is an OS-related thing, say so instead of just remaining silent.

There is no sulution yet.

Tapping the phone every minute or so while driving is not an option, as well as disabling the autolock.

THIS IS A SAFETY ISSUE

Please excuse my caps-locking, but I can't stress this enough 😉

There should be an easy way to create that option. Given, that this is not a change in iOS, of course...

Posted this issue on Linus Tech Tips channel.

Disturbed a hornet's nest of a debate.  

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1095561-spotify-refuses-to-fix-a-bad-driving-hazard-calls-it-a-...

It's probably Apple telling Spotify to take the heat for this. This article https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/13/20804234/apple-spotify-siri-voice-commands-ios-13-rumor leads me to believe this is the trade off. 

Since Spotify could not use Siri they probably were allowed to keep skirting the Auto Lock settings set by the phone. But with being able to use Siri then I would imagine Apple said for them to remove it as a tradeoff. It would be the true "hands free" expierence because everyone wants to use Siri.....

This is only "solved" if this was actively decided to be changed by Spotify.

But why was this changed from the previous behavior? This worked before if in a car or on a desk.

If this is Apple demanding the change, why not state so?

I tested Apple Music (because I am considering switching) but it appears that app cannot prevent auto-lock either, so this might indeed be something Apple is enforcing.

If not, why not allow this or at least make it an option in Spotify to prevent auto-lock on the "Currently playing" screen?

Btw: Why even have a car mode if the screen blanks out?...

Two month later, Spotify updated 4 thims, but this issuse is still on. I'd wish iPhone screen doesn't lock while plugged in and Spotify opened

This is really frustrating. Please re-enable this app to be optimized for driving. I don't use the Waze app so integration with it means nothing to me. I don't keep Siri turned on for the same reason I don't have Alexa or Google assistant or Cortana in my home. I just want to listen to music and be able to skip a track if I decide to without having to unlock my phone while driving.

I love my Spotify premium but I’m trying free premium of Amazon starting tonight for 30 days. If it doesn’t lock my screen, since I can download and skip, I may just switch. If it locks I’ll look further at other apps. 

I ride my MC and while I can change songs using my thumb controls. It’s nice seeing the next song if I want. Or at a light changing playlists quickly. I don’t touch it riding but can’t eadily unlock at a light with helmet and gloves. 

This happens with my iPad plugged in on my desk now since the update also.... super irritating as I use it to play music in my office.... I get a call, and it's no longer easy to pause/restart music as I have to unlock the display or use the lock screen shortcuts (which have their own limitations - especiallyfor restarting the music linked to a WiFi Speaker). Please fix this Spotify... you broke it with the update.

12 pages of the same comments, 615 votes to change this back

a couple of months of disgruntled customers and what have Spotify done?

sweet fa

thanks a million for “listening” to the people who pay to use your service.......not

#shockingdecision #amazonmusiccalls

This never happened before.  Why does it happen now ?

Suggested posts