Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

iPhone screen locking while playing and connected to charger

Solved!

iPhone screen locking while playing and connected to charger

iPhone screen locks while plugged in, I’d like to see album art and song title while I drive but it automatically locks after 2 minutes even though it’s plugged in.

141 Replies

This is still such an annoying inconvenience. Come on Spotify

It looks like it might not necessarily be Spotify's fault.  After noticing that Google Music and iTunes are now doing the same thing, I did a little digging and discovered this footnote within the iOS developer docs for the idle timer setting:

Important

You should set this property only if necessary and should be sure to reset it to false when the need no longer exists. Most apps should let the system turn off the screen when the idle timer elapses. This includes audio apps. With appropriate use of Audio Session Services, playback and recording proceed uninterrupted when the screen turns off. The only apps that should disable the idle timer are mapping apps, games, or programs where the app needs to continue displaying content when user interaction is minimal.

So it seems that this is a directive from Apple that Spotify is complying with, along with the developers of other popular audio apps.

Here is a link to the documentation: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/uikit/uiapplication/1623070-isidletimerdisabled

Perhaps it's time to turn our attention to Apple...

Amazon Music stays open while it’s on. 

If its directive from Apple then Spotify needs to speak up. I like it open at work. I’ll be changing services if I decide I like amazon better. 

Today the screen is not dimming when I'm on the charger. It's been open for about 20 minutes now.

Some kind of response from Spotify about this would be wonderful.

I'm not having the same results. Did you do something different today? What phone and OS are you running?

I’m all up to date on iOS and on the app. Mine still locks

Probably the largest annoyance about this feature is if you have a Wifi speaker like a Sonos or Bluesound that you stream Spotify to (as I do). Whenever I pause the music, it will disconnect from the speaker. I then have to go back into the app, tell Spotify to reconnect to the Wifi Speaker, and then hit play again. Not an ideal user experience at all, as I'm on and off the phone all day long in my home office, so have to pause the music each time I receive a call. Incredibly annoying, whereas previously it's plugged in on my desk; pause and play were a single easily-accessible button push.

I tested it with the new Spotify update.  Unfortunately, the screen still dims and shuts off when connected to a charger.  The only reasonable solution I found was to set my display to never turn off.  It works ok, but occasionally I forget to manually turn the display off and I find my phone was on in my pocket.  

I'm on iOS 13 beta 3. I have spotify in the song details screen when it's running. It's been going for about 30 minutes without going dark. Auto lock is set to 5 minutes.

Hopefully, it still works when the official release of iOS 13 comes out next week.  

@Veloz wrote:

Important

You should set this property only if necessary and should be sure to reset it to false when the need no longer exists.

Well... I think that's not a strict policy, as many other app developers let their apps stay on the screen without locking. For security reasons it does make much more sense to NOT dim or lock the screen when the Spotify-app is in focus. So the user can change the track without having to unlock the iPhone and keep his/her eyes on the street instead.

So please Spotify, return the behaviour back to the previous versions.

I can confirm that the unwanted lock behavior has not changed with iOS 13.  My screen still dims and soon after locks.  Bummer.

iPhone X

iOS: 13.0

Spotify: 8.5.23.644

Same issue! I've done both a quick &a clean reinstall. Specs below, not that it seems like they're planning to do a friggin' thing about it considering that they've both deceptively marked it as 'solved' and blithely ignored the litany of comments they have here that make it clear that it, in fact, is not solved. This is most frustrating when driving; what even is the point of Car View if you can't view it?? When I'm driving this issue goes from annoying to potentially dangerous. Come on now, Spotify. How about a reasonable response?

• iPhone model: XS Max
  • iOS: 12.4.1
  • Spotify version: 8.5.23.644

Ditto here... this is going to be a dealbreaker for me and will have to painfully go back to Apple Music. Just yesterday, was using my iPhone 7+ without issue until I got the newest iPhone 11 and now it’s broke. Setting the screen to never lock as a work around is absurd. Of course this thread has already gone on too long without a fix so I likely have to just break the news to the family. Bye bye Spotify

@Katerina @staff Could we get some feedback please?

What a stupid solution.

I updated to iOS 13.1, set my display to shut off after 30 seconds. Opened Apple Music and played Beats Radio. 

I then set my phone on a wireless charger.

The display NOW STAYS ON and does not shut off when connected to a charger.  Apple Music previously shut off after 30 seconds.

I tried Spotify and it still does shut off after 30 seconds.

I wonder if this is permanent feature for Apple Music or just a mistake in iOS 13.1 that will be corrected in the future. 

I have an iPhone 11 pro with the latest 13.1 iOS and display still locks while being charged with Spotify playing.   This still occurs in Apple Music as well so likely has more to do with Apple code base. It’s unimaginable that while in the car, they’re asking for us to look away from the road to interact with our phone more often. Any of the default time periods before screen lock is causing me irrational frustration because I have to look at my screen to unlock it again.  Setting my phone to never lock while driving is going to have to be a shortcut I need to figure out how to create. All of it is genuinely unacceptable for ensuring safe driving. 

I have the iPhone 11 Pro Max, I wonder why your screen shuts off, but mine continues to play. 

I restarted my phone and just tested it again and the screen surely stays on with Apple Music open and the phone connected to the charger.  

When removed from a charger the screen shuts off.  

I guess we'll see how long it lasts.  

***UPDATE**

I found that only the Beats 1 radio station continues to keep the screen on, it seems that any other music being played the screen shuts off after 30 seconds.  

My Kindle fire tablet still has this functionality, and I'm sure other Android devices do too (although I cannot confirm... can anyone chime in here?). Why iOS has to be special in this regard...

Suggested posts