Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Ongoing performance issues on iOS devices - app being slow/crashing within a few minutes of playback

Hey folks,

We had received reports that some of you were experiencing technical issues on your iOS devices (running version 8.8.72.623 or higher). The app was crashing or the playback was suddenly stopping.

The issue was fixed but it seems it has resurfaced shortly after. 

It is currently being investigated.

Under investigation.
We'll keep you posted as soon as we know anything new on the matter! 

Comments
Nilemoon

1. The app (songs) will not play offline music, without wi-fi. 

2. Song stops playing after 10-12 seconds. Going back to the previous song then forward to the song that wouldn't play previously, will play now! Why does it need this 'tricky' procedure to play the song? Sometimes even that won't work. Can I just play music anytime, anywhere without stopping, or need for wifi or manipulation or need to figure out which playlist will play and which will not and why?? Simplify the app so it does what I want! I download a song then you mark that song with a check mark or green dot to indicate that the song will now play, on or off wi-fi, on line or off. Otherwise I will cancel membership. It is getting too complex  to control or do what I want: download a song and be able to listen without interruption or failure to play. Too "iffy".

Rain9

Iphone: 12

ios: 17.4.1

spotify version: 8.8.19

spotify packet: premium

error has been persistent for 2 months now. App crashes after 20-30 sec of playback, spotify itself is very slow too and doesnt load, tried all troubleshooting tips and support but nothing worked. Whats the situation?

tonypjr

So I had this issue before.  I found a work around and it has to do with a setting that allows sharing of a device within the Spotify App.

• disable Bluetooth, disable WIFI, disconnect the USB for CarPlay
  • make sure your connected devices are no longer connected.
  • Turn off Start Jam!.
  • turn on Bluetooth and Wifi then connect your USB.  
  • In the Spotify App it should have your vehicle as a device and music should be working perfectly.

*My device/app version/vehicle are: iPhone 15 Pro Max iOS 17.4.1 / Spotify App 8.9.19 / Range Rover

Bennyboombasko

Have uninstalled / reinstalled a few times now.  - crashes when connected to Bluetooth and when not. 

have premium everything was working great figured I’d put it out there in case any one else is having issues 

Country - USA 

Device

IPHone 15 pro max 1 TB

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue

Bennyboombasko

Have iPhone 15 pro max not 14

Vasil

Hey folks!

Checking in if any of you are still experiencing the issues with the app being slow/crashing within a few minutes of playback after the 8.9.20. update. 

Jonowalker

Yes- same issues still remain. App crashing when playing music offline. 

KniteOwl82

@Vasil

I am extremely happy to report that my Spotify on iPhone 11 iOS 17.3.1 since the last update is working faster and better than it has been in months. No more speed hiccups, song stoppage, or any issues I reported earlier.

gogmagog

@Vasil 

Yes all problems remain, even the crashing when I hit "playback" in settings. Still can't load albums or play songs for more than 30 seconds.

I haven't been able to use Spotify on my phone  for almost seven months now. If anything, it's gotten worse. Should I cancel my subscription? Not really sure what's going on.

iPhone 13

USA, Premium 

Vasil

Hey again folks, 

Thank you for the replies.

This Ongoing Issue thread is regarding the app being slow/ crashing within a few minutes of online playback.

With this in mind - @Jonowalker, what you're experiencing might be this other Ongoing Issue we have here under investigation.

And, @gogmagog, if the timeframe is always about 30 seconds - take a look at the solution in this thread and check if this isn't being caused by any third party apps, especially Discord.

As this OI thread's issues should now officially be resolved, in case you're experiencing app slowness or active crashing of the app after a few seconds of online playback, I'd advise you to go over the steps for a complete clean reinstall first.

Make sure you're on the 8.9.20. (or newer) version of the Spotify app. If this is so and the troubleshooting steps do not help out, let us know which exact issue you're experiencing, alongside your exact Spotify app version and we'll let the folks backstage know 🙂

Much appreciated 🙌🏼