Plan

Premium : Spotify Family

Country

France

Device

any

My Question or Issue

Hello

I just subscribed for Spotify Family.. I want to create an account for my 13 years old daughter. 

I can not because, the birthdate is refused. 

I don't understand because, because in the Terms & conditions page, it is specified that the account creation is allow for 18 years old people, or 13 with a parental agreement...

So  how can I do ? 

Thanks a lot for your help !!

11 Replies

Hey @GauthierLebrun, thanks for reaching out to the Community! 

Could you let me know what her birth month and year is? I can take a look at this on my end.

Also, could you try creating a new account for her here using a different browser or private window?

Let me know how this goes!

Billy-JSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Thanks for your answer !

Her birth month is September and birth Year is 2006. 

When I try to create her account it is refused. 

Yes I tried with another browser, and in private mode also.

Hey @GauthierLebrun

Thanks for the info!
Could you send me a screenshot of the error message shown? Make sure to hide sensitive info when posting to the Community.

Looking forward to your reply.

Billy-JSpotify Star
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hello, 

I have exactly the same issue. I waited my son's 13th birthday to create his account but was not able to do so. Spotify tells he is too young to get it. I've tried on several devices with teh same result.

As I was very frustrated, I create an account and changed the birth year from 2007 to 2005 (which makes him 15 years old) and it works...

Issue now is that I cannot change his birthday anymore in his profile.

Good news, he is now happy to enjoy our family account.

Bad news, I had to use wrong data to make it happen.

While doing this, I discover that there is now an option for kids below 13 and this was super easy to setup.

So please Spotify, wake-up and helpus get our children properly register on our account.

Hello @fredminet,

Thanks for reaching out in the Community!

At the moment you'll need to enter a date of birth that meets the required age to use Spotify, in order to sign up for an account. You can check the sign up age limit for your country in our T&Cs.

Once we have rolled out Spotify Kids in every market, users will be able to give parental consent to add children under the minimum required age to a Premium Family plan.

Right now, the Spotify Kids app is only available in a few select markets, but we hope to have it available in other markets soon! Head here if you want to read more about the Kids app.

Hope this info is useful. Let us know if you have any other questions 🙂

XeniaModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I have exactly the same issue. My daughter turned 13 yesterday. As there is a 13 year threshold in the Netherlands (with parental consent), I waited until then to upgrade to a family account. I sent her an invite, but she cannot register, as she receives the message that she does not meet the age requirement, see screenshot (in Dutch):

Hollandjr_0-1586250753394.png

The terms and conditions in the Netherlands are clear that with parental consent, a 13 year old can have a spotify account. However, there is no option to request parental consent, although it is obvious I consent (considering I sent her the invite!). How do I fix this, without having to lie about my daughters age.

Hey @Hollandjr,

We have updated our minimum sign-up age in a few countries to reflect the GDPR requirements, however these are not yet reflected in our terms and conditions. The new age limit in the Netherlands is now 16.

We're looking into updating the T&Cs to be more in-line with this.

Hope that clears things up! Let us know if there's anything else you need help with.

XeniaModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi,

I also use Spotify Kids for my 11 years old and this is perfectly fine but
I would like my oldest boy to access Spotify Premium.

In France, T&C indicates minimum age is 13 to access Spotify Premium with
parental consent. But I need to enter a date which makes him 15 years old
to allow him to access. It seems there is a misalignment between your T&C
and the Spotify account rules.

Regards,
Frédéric

Okay, that is disappointing. That means I have no use for a family account. I do find it sloppy that T&C are not updated. I have taken the effort to look into this and T&C still clearly mentions that 13 year olds can have an account with parental approval. GDPR was implemented two years ago, so there has been ample time to update T&C (in particular Spotify did already manage to block the creation of accounts for 13 year olds.

I trust I can cancel the family account again without cost.

Hi,

I live in Luxembourg and I have the same problem to create an account for my child that has more than 13 years. And I do not understand the reference to the GDPR. As far as I know these requirements explain that children between 18 and 13 years of age need the consent of their parents if they use online services like Spotify because personal data of the children are used. This means that GDPR and T&C's are using the same age as far as I can see. If I am wrong could you, please post a link leading to the GDPR text you are referring to.

Right now your T&C’s say that a child older than 13 can create an account with the consent of the parents but I can’t find any way to do this.

So, could you please provide help to create these accounts.

Thanks

Same problem here (from Ireland in this case), and the GDPR reference doesn't seem to hold water as the Spotify T&Cs specifically state that parental approval is required between 13 and 18.

Is the issue that the account has to be created before parental approval is added when the individual joins a Family account ? . . . and Spotify therefore needs to create a better approval mechanism to support 13-16 year olds ?

I know Spotify can't legally propose faking age data, but that appears to be the only option at this stage.

Suggested posts