Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop][Connect] Merge accounts or allow Google account association with current account

[Desktop][Connect] Merge accounts or allow Google account association with current account

I have 2 accounts: one Premium, created with email and password and another one Free, created with "Sign in with Google", as instructed by one of your support team members.

I want to either merge these 2 accounts (stick to Premium and allow me to sign in with Google to the premium account) or allow me to associate my Google account (from the Free account) with the Premium account (also with the main goal of being able to sign in with Google).

I am OK to permanently delete my free account if my request can be fulfilled, as I don't need 2 accounts, I only want to associate Google acct. w/Spotify.

10 Replies

Hey @user-removed,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community!

We moved your post to a relevant Help Board where it fits better.

It isn't possible at the moment to merge an existing account to Google Sing In. In this case, what you can do is to transfer your content from the Premium account to the free one you created through Google Sign In, so you don't lose any of your favorite music and playlists. You can find the steps to do so here.

Then, you can cancel the subscription in the Premium account and subscribe again in the other account.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions, the Community is here for you.

Cheers!

CarlosEModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Doing this will preserve the recommendation algorythm? 

Hey @user-removed,

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, your recommendations algorithm will be reset on the new account. Your playlists, podcasts etc. can be transferred though.

Let us know if you have more questions.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hey @user-removed,

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, your recommendations algorithm will be reset on the new account. Your playlists, podcasts etc. can be transferred though.

AlexModerator

Hey @user-removed,

Thanks for the reply.

AlexModerator

That is a deal breaker, as I decided to stay with Spotify exactly for this
algorythm which is far better than any other platform.

I am still shocked that you do not allow merging/transferring accounts via
an embedded feature, but only with these not so professional workarounds...

By the way... the steps to pseudo-transfer the account are no longer valid. I cannot select multiple songs in a playlist with CTRL+A. It just doesn't select the songs, but all the text in the webpage.

Hi @user-removed,

Thanks for posting on the Community!

Could you confirm that you are trying to use the CTRL+A keyboard combination in your Desktop app, or in the web player? The feature should work as expected in the Desktop app, however on the web player, this hotkey combination will trigger the selection of all content on the webpage, which is also an expected behavior. 

In case you would need to transfer information like playlists and liked artists and songs to a new account, you can contact the Support team, who can handle this for you.

With the new account you will also start getting recommendations based on your listening habits after about 2 weeks or less of regular use, so you won't miss out on a lot of our curated content.  

Hope you find this useful. Keep us posted if you have any questions.

ElenaModerator

Yes, it only works on the desktop app, not on the web, but this is not clear on that guide.

If you are able to transfer things for me, please transfer from my old accout to my new one.

The latter is the account created with Sign in with Google, which is currently Free, until I am cleaning up the other one.

Hey there @user-removed, 

Thanks for getting back to us.

In this case, we suggest reaching out to our Support team through any of these channels so they can take a closer look at your accounts and help

you with this.

On another note, we don't recommend sharing private info in the Community. In this case, we suggest that you edit your post and delete this info. 

If you need help with anything else, just let us know.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Suggested posts