Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Do Songs Chosen By Others In Group Session Affect Your Listening History/Suggestions?

Do Songs Chosen By Others In Group Session Affect Your Listening History/Suggestions?

Plan

Free/Premium

Country

Device

(iPhone 8, Samsung Galaxy 9, Macbook Pro late 2016)

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue

My wife an I have a Spotify family plan (still waiting on duos in the U.S.!). We also have a Sonos smart speaker that we each play music through. I really like the new group session feature. Before, one of us had to tell the other one what we wanted to hear to avoid connecting and disconnecting to the speaker after each song.

Anyway, if we are in a group session and for example, she chooses a few songs by Kelly Clarkson. Is my Spotify going to think that I like Kelly Clarkson and start putting her and similar artists in my daily mixes and suggestions? That is exactly the reason that we got the family plan instead of sharing a single account, so that our music tastes didn't interfere with the others personalized playlists

3 Replies

Hey @Music_man185,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community.

Family Mix is a playlist that combines music you and the other members of your Family plan listen to. As such, the feature should only be able to be affected by - and not to affect - the listening suggestions that you or the members of your plan receive individually. 

Hope you'll find this info useful. Let us know if there's anything else we can help with.

Have a nice day!

Mario Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I'm not talking about the family mix. I'm referring to the new group session feature that allows multiple users and accounts to listen together at the same time 

Hey there @Music_man185,

Thanks for clarifying and sorry for the confusion 🙂

Songs played in a Group Session will end up in everyone’s Recently Played but only the host’s recommendations will be affected. With that said, if you start the session with your account and your wife adds songs to the play queue, these will influence your recommendations.

Hope we were able to shed some light on the situation. Give us a shout, if you have any other questions.

Happy listening 🎶

XeniaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts