Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Family Premium multiple devices playing own music simultaneously

Solved!

Family Premium multiple devices playing own music simultaneously

Have added via email invite family members to Premium Family account but they cant play their own music simultaneously (still only one device at a time) as advertised - any suggestions welcome.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

@ranbar

Each family member has to have a separate username and password. So the first step is to create the new accounts (if you haven't already).

I suggest creating it with an email address (not the one used for fb, if possible), since you'll be able to pick a spotify username / password. Using facebook will not let you do that, and that sometimes causes problems.

You'll now have a Free account, so the next step is to join your Family plan through invites (You're the one who pays, so you'll be the Family Admin).

Send the invites to the email you used to create your new accounts. Accept the invites and you'll be set. Everyone will be able to listen to music at the same time, and will have separate libraries, playlists and friends.

osorniosSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

48 Replies
Marked as solution

@ranbar

Each family member has to have a separate username and password. So the first step is to create the new accounts (if you haven't already).

I suggest creating it with an email address (not the one used for fb, if possible), since you'll be able to pick a spotify username / password. Using facebook will not let you do that, and that sometimes causes problems.

You'll now have a Free account, so the next step is to join your Family plan through invites (You're the one who pays, so you'll be the Family Admin).

Send the invites to the email you used to create your new accounts. Accept the invites and you'll be set. Everyone will be able to listen to music at the same time, and will have separate libraries, playlists and friends.

osorniosSpotify Star

Thanks, advice appreciated.  Unforutnatley I followed the steps (new account and accept invite) and recieved the following message: 

"Cannot join Premium for Family :-(.  Sorry!  You're already a member of thie (or another) Family plan.  Please click below to switch to the account that you want to join to the Family plan."

Any further advice would be further appre appreciated.

Hi. I found the invite in junk ... acepted ... and its all go.  Thanks for your help.

You're welcome. We're here to help. 🙂

osorniosSpotify Star

will we all lose our saved artists and playlists if we do that though?

No, you will not lose your playlists or favorite artists

a greeting

my wife and i each have an iphone, an android phone and an ipad mini. we have individual account and separate subscription before. i registered to premium family and added my wife. can she still use her account on all her three devices?

Sure, it is your account and you can use it on the device she wants.

So my original account is delighted by facebook, it always has been I'll need to use a different email and create all new playlists because my admin account will not let me play if it's in use by another user

I have this exact problem with my husband. He's linked to the family premium account thats under my name and we can't listen to our own music at the same time. 

Hey @SuperGreek,

Each family member has to have a separate username and password, so the first step is to create a new account for him (if he hasn't already).

I suggest creating it with an email address (not the one used for Facebook, if possible), since he'll be able to pick a Spotify username / password. Using Facebook will not let you do that.

He'll now have a Free account, so the next step is to join your Family plan through your Admin's account (the one who pays is the Family Admin).

Send by yourself the link generated through INVITE MEMBER BY LINK, instead of letting the system send the mail.

Let him accept the invite logged in with his own username, and you'll be set. Each will be able to listen to music at the same time, and will have separate libraries, playlists and friends.

Hope it helps. 🙂
osorniosSpotify Star

I could definitely see a benefit to Spotify making it where x number of devices is permitted at one time on a family plan, even if multiple are the same username.  My house now has a lot of Amazon Echo Dots connected to speakers/speaker systems and everyone is constantly telling them to play certain things in different rooms.  Since the dots are tied to my amazon account it is only using my spotify account and thus everyone is having their music cut off from one another.

Yes I agree, we have the same problem. I just upgraded to Family Premium expecting that I could now play my music when I'm on the move without stopping the Amazon Echo at home but thats not the case. So I need to maintain a separate account for Echo and for myself even though I want to use the same playlists so I'll need to remember to keep sharing the playlists. Even more irritating is I like to start off music on the Echo and then manage the playlist on my phone but if I'm logged in a separate account I'll need to keep logging out and back in again. Would be good for Spotify to sort this out please! 

This is my problem too! Spotify help!!! How do we solve without losing all of our playlists?????

Sent family member an invite. She accepted but was sent to a screen that said enter your user name and password. She has not created a password. So, we are not 'all set'. Thoughts?

Hello this is an immense scam.     I am amazed.    you guys at spotify have to solve this **bleep**Y PROBLEM ASAP.    you are fooling customers like this to receive a few more box.    and the family package is super advertised.    and the info is totally misleading

you should be processed for this super scam.

shame on you!!!!

THERE IS NO MULTIPLE DEVICE PLAYING IN YOUR HOUSE AND FOR YOUR FAMILY.  

no OFF LINE.  no download...  just a lot of problems and no result.    consumers should be aware.

my apologies,  I finally fount the way it works.    nosssa not clearly explained though

Ok YOU download,  that is easy to find.  at least for us.

then you have to pass in OFFLINE MODE THAT YOU FIND IN THE FIRST MENU!   THE ONE NAMED SPOTIFY.    AFTER PREFERENCES AND PRIVATE SESSION

YOU FIND?   RUNNING OFF LINE!!!

as easy as it is,  it is unpredicatbly positioined for some. 

all the best

Can two users on different devices, listen to the same playlist at the same time?
I.E. Can user Sarah and user John, both listen to the "rock" playlist that John created under his account, at the same time?
I appreciate the help!!

Hey @Ekryan17,

Yes, each family member has to have a separate username and password.

The account that pays then links the other family members to the plan through the Spotify website.

After that, each family member will be able to listen to music at the same time, have different playlists, library and friends.

More detailed instructions can be found here.

Hope it helps. 🙂

osorniosSpotify Star

Suggested posts