Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Family Premium multiple devices playing own music simultaneously

Solved!

Family Premium multiple devices playing own music simultaneously

Have added via email invite family members to Premium Family account but they cant play their own music simultaneously (still only one device at a time) as advertised - any suggestions welcome.

48 Replies

My husband and I have been listening to music simultaneously for months - both on the premium plan, he has his own account and I have mine. Today we suddenly found we were unable to listen simultaneously. I don't know what happened - any ideas?

How do I send the invite??

I aplogize I do not remember but it is well explained.
anyhow multiple device is absolutely possible in OFF LINE.
veery easy once you understand the trick in main menu.

I believe not so well explained. but ok…

We have done all this and still the music stops on one device when another family premium member starts playing on their device

in the first menu - SPOTIFY - you will see… modalita’ off line - I READ IT IN ITALIAN
IT TOOK FOR AGES TO FIND IT. AND ONCE YOU FIND IT IT IS SO RIDICULOUS;
the thing is so obvious that it is almost not explained in spotify all the best

Thanks for trying to help but I can't find what you are referring to - where is the solution explained?

in the first menu,  spotify,   you will find PLAY OFF LINE.  in italian  MODALITA OFF LINE,  IT IS THE FOURTH VOICE.     ah  you have to first DOWNLOAD YOUR PLAYLIST IN THE DEVICE OR COMPUTER.     IN THE DEVICE or cellular,   I just go in the library,   THEN SEARCH THE PLAYLIST.   and play.  what is important to understand is that only one device at the time can run on the internet.     the others can play but only the dowloaded playlists in the hard drive of device.    I hope it can help.     I do not understand why spotify people don't make it easier to understand with a small video.   it took me for ever to understand the trick...

We are still having this problem - family account and my husband is the owner. When I try to play my own music his always overrides mine so we cannot listen to different music at the same time. Help please??!

Ola, first menu, the one of spotify, 4th voice. play in OFF LINE.

you have to first download in the device or computer… so that you do not need internet in the device.

rsrsrrsssr…

Hey @Lisaeljays

If all members use the same login information in their devices, your music will cutoff like it has been happening to you.

Each family member has to have a separate username and password, so the first step is to create yourself a new account (if you haven't already).

I suggest creating it with an email address (not the one used for Facebook, if possible), since you'll be able to pick a Spotify username / password. Using Facebook will not let you do that.

You'll now have a Free account, so the next step is to join your Family plan through your Admin's account (the one who pays is the Family Admin).

Tell him to send the invite to the email you used to create your account.

Accept the invite logged in with your own username in the app and in the website and you'll be set. Just be sure to type the address exactly as the Admin did when he created the Family Plan, and also be sure all Family members use the same Internet connection (Home network) regularly.

Both will be able to listen to music at the same time, and will have separate libraries, playlists and friends.

Hope it helps. 🙂
osorniosSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I am a part of a family plan. But I'm unable to cue songs on my phone. It says thats a premium feature. Any help?
On the mac I don't have that problem

Hey @faid2blck

Try logging into your Spotify profile on your browser here with your email. Your username will be displayed after you login.

After that, check the status of your subscription. If everything looks ok, logout of the app in your phone, and be sure to use that username, instead of your email address, to login to your account. It's the one with the Premium features.

Hope it helps. 🙂

osorniosSpotify Star

Thank you so much! It helped!

You're welcome. Glad I was able to help. 🙂

osorniosSpotify Star

I have a different question. Before going forward to a family plan, I would like to make sure that we can all use the Connect function simultaneously, on different devices, with different music. 

So member A connects to speaker A with song A, while at the same time member B connects to speaker B with song B. Etcetera

How do I see what songs they are listening to? 

Yes, they can. Have the account owner send invites to the rest of the family members. Once he accepts the invites the family members can create new accounts using different usernames and e-mail addresses each. After that, just follow each other and you could all share your playlists with each other. 

Right, i have premium for family, ive set up the separate accounts. My daughter got a google home for Xmas, when she is listening to her music, its still not letting me listen to mine. If i start mine, hers cuts off and vice versa. When she is listening on the google home and i open spotify on my pc, it shows its playing on her device. Both accounts have different emails, yet im still getting this problem. Not exactly great for 15 quid a month tbh. Any help would be appreciated.

That sounds like something that would happen when both devices are under the same account. We have a total of five accounts on my family plan all playing at the same time on different devices with no issues at all at home. If both your accounts have different e-mails, usernames, and passwords you should not be having any issues playing them simultaneously at all. 

logging in with diifferent accounts does not solve this problem. i can only listen from one device at a time. which means there is not much point to the family subscription.

Suggested posts