Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

My Account Was Jeopardized

Solved!

My Account Was Jeopardized

Every night I go to bed listening to a sleep playlist. When I woke up this morning, I had been signed out of my account and couldn't sign back in. I was able to determine my password was changed and, thankfully, I had access to the email attached to my account still.

I reset my password back to the original password (thinking it might have been a technical blip) and, within 30 minutes, I'd been kicked out of my account again-- the password was once again not the correct password. I reset my password AGAIN, this time changing the password, and got back into my account. In the time that I couldn't access my account, a new playlist had been subscribed to (Clásico - by Stiven Ortega) and a new friend (Stiven Ortega) had been added to my friends' list. 

Once I reset my password for the second time I also reset the email associated to the account so, hopefully, it won't be a problem again but I'm wondering if there's any way to track where the security break came from. As a premium user, I'm worried about my payment information being jeopardized as well.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @kathrynanon! Thanks for coming to the Community. 

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with this. Hopefully, I'll be able to clear things up a bit. 

It sounds like someone else may have gained access to your Spotify account. I'd recommend checking out this Support article for the next steps to take. 

Rest assured that Spotify's platform and user records are totally secure. Account takeovers usually happen because of a breach on another service. If you use the same password for several services, they all have the potential to be compromised if one has a security breach.

Also note personal information such as your payment details or address isn't shown to anyone that has access your account so no need to worry about it. On another note, I'd also recommend checking out this Support article for tips on how to protect your account so this doesn't happen again. 

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions 🙂

Jose_MSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Marked as solution

Hey @kathrynanon! Thanks for coming to the Community. 

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with this. Hopefully, I'll be able to clear things up a bit. 

It sounds like someone else may have gained access to your Spotify account. I'd recommend checking out this Support article for the next steps to take. 

Rest assured that Spotify's platform and user records are totally secure. Account takeovers usually happen because of a breach on another service. If you use the same password for several services, they all have the potential to be compromised if one has a security breach.

Also note personal information such as your payment details or address isn't shown to anyone that has access your account so no need to worry about it. On another note, I'd also recommend checking out this Support article for tips on how to protect your account so this doesn't happen again. 

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions 🙂

Jose_MSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts