Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Passwords bein checked and deleted

Passwords bein checked and deleted

Hello dear spotify community,

ive got a question. 

Last week i got an email from spotify saying i must renew my password because, and i quote here " we reset your password because is that "SOME OTHER SERVICE" you are using "THE SAME PASSWORD AND ID" has been compromised." 

So i got a new password and questioned myself WHY is spotify using my personal data to try to login to other services? What service was compromised - i would like to delete my account there. Why the heck are you storing my password and username in plain text - thats a security nightmare! 

What services is spotify checking on regular bases with my account data to check if im registered there ?

I contacted the technical service - the answere was "Dont worry spotify was not attacked - its all safe. We do that for your security" and thats it - no detailed information on my questions.

So maybe the community can help and give some answeres.

would be kind

greetings

QuestionMe

3 Replies

Hey @QuestionMe123, thanks for posting here!

I understand your concern. Spotify deeply cares about your security online and doesn't store your password in plain-text. Spotify does however pay attention to breaches of other services, and take steps to help users secure Spotify accounts when those occur, because many people use the same login and password combination for multiple services.  Therefore, the security team reviews sites such as Pastebin and others for leaked user credentials which might be used to access Spotify.

If you have any other questions, feel free to reach out!

Hope you're having a great day!

HuboSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Well its nice they care for my security - but why spotify cant tell me what service was compromized? how do they check for the "same pw" if they are not using it as plain text? 

Hi @QuestionMe123, welcome to the Spotify Community!

We understand your concern regarding this. However, rest assured that all the information of your Spotify account is safe with us. We do send this kind of messages in a proactive way to some user so they can change their information and make it more difficult for other people to get access to their Spotify accounts. 

At the moment, we can't confirm if other service was affected. If think you use the same username and password you use with Spotify for another service, we suggest that you reset your information with them as well for security. If you don't, then you don't have to worry. As we mentioned, this is just a security measure in order to keep your information safe.

Let us know if you have any questions. Have a great day!

JulianModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Suggested posts