Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify family but different country

Spotify family but different country

Hello,

I've currently moved to Ireland for my studies, and would like to join a Family Plan for my cousin who is in Malaysia. When I enter the invite code, I get this message: "We couldn't add you to the Family plan as your account needs to be based in the same country as the Family plan owner."

I am unable to change my details as I am currently on a free account, and would like to know how I may go about joining this plan even if I put my country as a different one as my family member. Does Spotify not account for family members living in different countries?

Thank you very much. 🙂

37 Replies

Hello!
Unfortunately, no. It is not possible for users with different countries to join a Spotify Family.

Have a great day!

Spotify won't let me change country and join family plan

We are in the same country, in the same building, even in the same apartment, but somehow my account show usa as the country, and now i cant change it, and i cant join family plan. And i did not entered us when i was creating my account. 

I wanted to include my very OWN sister to Spotify family plan, but I couldn't because I live in Slovakia and she moved to Spain. Even though our residence address is the same one in Slovakia.
This is a crappy move Spotify, I just want you to know that! There is no reason to do that. Both countries are members of EU, both pay by EURO, so there is the same billing, BUT...Some policies do not make any sense, as the people who make them!

i have this problem too! did you ever manage to solve it? x

after being a premium subscriber for two years; i upgraded to family pack... big mistake.

the name is TOTALLY misleading...

Same problem here, I moved to Austria for studies and my brother that lives in the US wanted to include me in the family pack but it shows up the same message.

Pease solve this or we will find another host like google music that doesn´t have this type of issue.

Very disappointed Spotify! I live in the US my two brothers in Europe and I purchased family package so they could join. They get the same message as all the people above.

Product manager at Spotify should put it on his project list!!

I'm getting married to my girl. We live together have a kid but can't get on the an family account as she lived in Norway when she started her account and I lived in Sweden. Any ideas on how to sort this one? Can I start a completely new account with a new email address and cancel the old one?  

same! extremely annoying!

Spotify, you need to do something about this!!! This is ridicilously annoying, the name is so misleading. Now what. I paid a few euros extra and I cannot use it? What a joke! We reside in the same house, but my kid went on a school trip and he cannot even log in. This is so stupid! Do something about it!

I have the same problem.  I opened my Spotify account years ago in the UK but have been living in France for over three years.  I upgraded to a family account but no-one in my French home can join because "they don't live in the same country as my account is registered".  My account overview is still showing my Profile as GB despite my postcode being a French one, and my billing country being in France with a French debit card.  Why has Spotify not updated my details correctly?

Spotify, I have the same problem: my brother made his account in Bulgaria, now he lives with me in Germany, but I cannot attend his invitation, BECAUSE I FREAKING DIDNT OPEN MY ACCOUNT IN BULGARIA BUT IN GERMANY. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? DO YOU WANT ME TO PAY TO YOUR COMPETITORS; BECAUSE THATS HOW YOU MAKE ME PAY TO YOUR COMPETITORS. **bleep**ING RETARDED POLICY

Same problem here. 

I think we should post it on 9gag to get some attention from these moneyhungry fockers

Apparently if you are from the same family you should always live together. Spotify, uniting us all. [irony]

I got so excited when my sister informed me that we were getting Spotify family, then I find out I can't use it because I'm in college in the US while they're based in Honduras. It's a **bleep**ty situation to get your hopes shot down like this. 

I have same problem, this time with my cousin. Spotify, you need to change that ! 

Spotify should solve this issue.  I am able to utilize the primary account anywhere in the world.  Subsequently, I added my family to the primary account, under the family plan, in the same country.  When they go off to school in a different country you cut them off? !!! The whole purpose of the family plan is mute to any user outside the US.  Spotify needs to get with the fact that their media model is geared to the WORLD.  I dont care what tax/finance treaties spotify needs to figure out.  I'll unsubsribe if this isnt solved and use social media, the industry they buit their model on!!!! to slam their false advertising....

I too have the same problem...family members live in Brazil and we all want an account... but we can't get family account because it's linked to your country....

Suggested posts