Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify plays last played song by itself

Spotify plays last played song by itself

Operating System

Android

My Question or Issue

For the last few weeks at random times in the middle of the night, Spotify has been starting on its own to play the last songs that I had been listening to without anyone touching my phone. Last night it played all my downloaded podcasts ( I have been keeping my phone on silent to not wake up because of this issue). 

I tried force stopping the app and it didn't help. Anybody else has seen this issue?

11 Replies

Hey @Ys6,

Thanks for posting here.

We'd suggest you give these steps a go in order to protect your account.

It's also a good idea to check these steps as they include logging out from everywhere and checking 3rd party connections.

Let us know how it goes. If you need anything else, the Community is here for you.

Ver Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi,

I tried all the suggested steps to protect my account and checking 3rd party connections and the issue is still there. It sounds like a bug related to the app running in the background even after closing it, because it always plays the last played music/podcast from where it was paused.

Hi @Ys6,

Thank you for keeping in touch.

There are some other things we can check here. To start, if you're a Premium user, try toggling on the Offline Mode at night and check if the same happens. 

Also, do you leave your Bluetooth active at night?

Keep us posted.

MafeGModerator

I thought it might be due to bluetooth but even after I turned it off it happened. It is becoming such an annoyance that I'm considering uninstalling the app.

And yes I am a premium user. I will try setting it to offline mode but that is going to be hard to do every single night.

Thanks for the suggestion

Hi @Ys6,

Thank you for keeping in touch and running those tests.

Let us know if you notice any change with the Offline Mode toggled on. This will greatly help us narrow down this issue and know if it may be related to some unexpected connection or if it's the app itself.

We'll be on the lookout.

MafeGModerator

I suspect it is the app itself. Last night, I had offline mode on, bluetooth off and it still tried to play the last played song but because the app was offline it was just stuck on that one song (like when the app is offline and a user tries to play a song).

Hi @Ys6,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation.

Can you perform a clean reinstall of the app? This will make sure there's no old cache files causing this.

If that doesn't do the trick and you have an SD card we recommend that you  uninstall the app > turn off your phone > take out your SD card > turn on the phone again (without the SD card) > reinstall the app since the card can be corrupted.

There's also always good to make sure that there's no pending OS updates.

Let us know how it goes as we want to help you get to the bottom of this.

Take care 🙂

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Thanks.

I have already done a clean reinstall and the issue still persists. It is happening more often now so I have to turn off my phone at night!

I do not have a SD card, and the phone is upgraded to the latest android version.

Hey @Ys6,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop here.

Sorry to hear the issue persists. Could you share with us your device's make, model and current OS version number? Also, mentioning your current Spotify version number would be of help, so we can look into this deeper.

If this issue persists after clean reinstalling, then it might be connected with another app that runs on your device. Are you using additional apps that can integrate with Spotify and use it as a source of music, such as Google Clock / Bixby? If yes, then check out if you haven't set an alarm or 'Bedtime' plan for yourself, that uses the Spotify app to play music at a scheduled moment in time. 

If the above does not help, then beside the details of your device and Spotify app, please include a short video of the situation so we can advise you better.

Let us know how things work out, we'll be keeping an eye out for your reply. 

Kiril Moderator

I don't have any other apps on my phone integrated with spotify. I also should mention again that it is not one specific song or a specific time that the issue happens. It has happened at very different times (day or night) and the app  "by itself" has always played the last song/podcast that was paused before.

I also noticed that recently sometimes when I open the spotify app, it starts playing the last played song (with no action from me). 

I have not taken a video of what happens, but it is very simple. The app just start playing the last played song by itself when no one is touching the phone. It starts playing from the middle, where the song was paused last time I used the app.

Is there a way to completely stop a song (instead of pausing)?

Here is the info you asked for:

Phone: Google pixel 5, Android version 12.

Spotify: 8.6.86.1231

Thanks

Hi @Ys6,

Thank you for your swift reply.

Is it possible for you to access your account with a different phone to check if the same happens? Also, please log in with another account, such as a friend's or a family member's to see if the issue persists. 

Alternatively, you can create a free account here, just make sure you're logged out of your own account before creating a new one.

If you notice that the issue keeps happening on your phone but it doesn't replicate in another, then we suggest you run a factory reset on your phone since the issue seems to be isolated on your device.

Let us know if you have any questions.

MafeGModerator

Suggested posts