Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Using Spotify in other countries - confused!

Solved!

Using Spotify in other countries - confused!

Hi,

I’m excited to use the premium Spotify and get more music with me everywhere, but I don’t know if it’s going to be available where I need it.

I'm from the UK with UK bank cards etc. I also have a Malaysia Visa card, and I’m currently on holiday in Malaysia right now. However, I usually work in Myanmar, where I really need Spotify to work fully (as I spend the majority of my time there).

I would prefer to sign up with my home country set to Malaysia, as that’s where my main bank account is, and the prices are better. But will Spotify work in Myanmar?

Thanks so much, Alex

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @AlexMYUK,

Welcome to the community!

You can indeed set your home country as Malaysia. While you're in Malaysia, change your country to Malaysia and make sure that you use a payment method issued in Malaysia when subscribing to Spotify Premium.

Once you're subscribed to Premium, you'll be able to use your Spotify account anywhere in the world (including Myanmar and the UK) for as long as you like.

Let me know if you have any questions. Happy listening 🙂

NoahSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey @AlexMYUK,

Welcome to the community!

You can indeed set your home country as Malaysia. While you're in Malaysia, change your country to Malaysia and make sure that you use a payment method issued in Malaysia when subscribing to Spotify Premium.

Once you're subscribed to Premium, you'll be able to use your Spotify account anywhere in the world (including Myanmar and the UK) for as long as you like.

Let me know if you have any questions. Happy listening 🙂

NoahSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hi @AlexMYUK and welcome to the Community! 🙂

Spotify's goal is to make sure you have your music with you everywhere you go at any time! In order to make this happen though, your payment type must be issued in the same country you are currently in (for long term use). 

In this case, if you sign up as your home country of Malaysia for ongoing payments - but are located in Myanmar - this will register as "abroad" and need to be changed to Myanmar to continue subscribing.
If you don't wish to get a permanent payment card issued there, you can always look into using a gift or prepaid card for the time you are there - if they are available.
I hope this helps! You can also reference the country subscription FAQ for more details. 
Have a wonderful day! 🙂

Thanks Karen for your replies! I could only sign up monthly payment in Malaysia by paying using phone credit, which as I'm prepaid, sounded like a hassle. I could however pay one year upfront with a Malaysian Visa card, so now I'm a premium member.

The price was 180 to ringitt which is 45 USD. Great price!

Thx, Alex

Suggested posts