Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[1.0.0.70/82][0.7.9]Inaudible volume levels after notification triggers audio ducking

Solved!

[1.0.0.70/82][0.7.9]Inaudible volume levels after notification triggers audio ducking

Since the latest update on the Spotify app the music will no longer get interrupted by notifications. This functionality is far from useful when using other apps simultaneously.

Often I use Spotify in the car in combination with my GPS and an app which warns me (legally) for speed traps. Before the update Spotify briefly paused for a GPS instruction or an alarm for a speed trap, which made them clearly noticable.

The apps in this case are Sygic and FlitsNav (Dutch). They use respectively the media volume and alarm volume, both are giving problems.
- The media volume is briefly lowered when Sygic has an instruction. Because Sygic uses this volume too, the instruction volume is lowered as well. This makes that the instructions are pronounced on a lower volume than normally and let the music kick in hard again after the barely audible instructions.
- FlitsNav uses the alarm volume, the same as used for the alarm clock. Even though the warnings are noticable, they are far less clear than they used to be. This makes that this app becomes far less affective compared to a total interruption of the music.

Is there a possibility to have the music interrupted for notifications again?

Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII Mini
Android version: 4.1.2 (latest)
Spotify version: Latest update (automatically installed on April 10, 2014)
Sygic version: 13.4.2
FlitsNav version: 3.0.4

EDIT: I amended the subject/title to distinguish theis thread from http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Android/Music-interrupted-by-notification-ring/m-p/235200#U2352...

EDIT: Temporary solution here: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Android/1-0-0-70-0-7-9-Inaudible-volume-levels-after-notificati...

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Just got an update from the Play Store (1.0.1.981): at least according to the changelog it should be fixed now. I didn't have time to test it yet.

View solution in original post

286 Replies

I am having the exact same problem with the Waze application and Spotify. Waze instructions are now barely noticeable. I didn't mind the complete audio mute for spofity when getting notifications at all. In fact I liked this feature.

Same problem here. 😞

Same problem with TomTom android app.

I have the same problem with Sony Xperia Z, Android 4.3 and newest Spotify.

Notifications sounds are to quiet.

Hey everyone,

Since the latest Spotify update I have been having issues playing music and using Navigation. Where before, the audio would pause when I was getting the next set of directions instead of lowereing the music volume, it now lowers the music volume AND the Navigation volume to the point I can't even hear the next directions.

SCH-I535

CARBON-ROM-KK-NIGHTLY (03/11/2014)

I know. Nightly. I tried this on a stock S3 and had the same issue.

,           ,
     ) \___/ (
  { ( @)v(@ ) }
   { |  ~~~  | }
  { /  ^^^   \ }
___`m - m`______
The Midnight Owl

Same problem here!

@themidnightowl I've merged your post into a thread of similar issues. I'm going to escalate this to the spotify staff as it does appear that the recent "fix" is not working entirely as intended.

Another "Me too" hopping on the pile here - for me, it's Waze. Same exact symptoms - used to (annoyingly and with its share of memory-management bugs!) pause the music to play the alerts. Now, it's just started cutting down to 30% and playing near-silent blurbs of music mixed with alerts, while I'm relying on those alerts to drive to random locations throughout a day's work.

Hate to say it, but... beta testing didn't catch this conflict?

It's just a matter of time before a fix. The SoundCloud app has the right implementation of what Spotify wanted to do here.

Hello,

I have encountered a problem since the new update. I am using spotify in combination with Google Navigation on my motorcycle. This way i can only hear the directions i have to take. Only after the latest update (0.7.9) the music lowers volume and i can barely hear the directions. Do you have a solution for this?

Kind regards,

Regillio

@Regil91 I moved your post into the relevant thread. I have escalated this issue to Spotify and we're waiting for news.

@jwylot: Thank you for escalating this problem to Spotify. Hope they will come up with a solution.

I too have this issue with my Note 3 while using Maps. It lowers all the media volume and I cant hear anything.

Yes! This "feature" is big crap!

I can no more hear the instructions of Waze.

When I able to correct the volume of the Waze message, than came spotify and reduce the Volume of Waze messages again.

What the F*ck! 😞

This is the answer I got today from Spotify Customer Support:

"I have just spoken to our tech team and although this is something we are working on and concerned about, we don't officially support Bluetooth yet.

As such we can't guarantee that any changes to the app won't break functionality with Bluetooth"

😞

@robo251 wrote:
This is the answer I got today from Spotify Customer Support:

"I have just spoken to our tech team and although this is something we are working on and concerned about, we don't officially support Bluetooth yet.

As such we can't guarantee that any changes to the app won't break functionality with Bluetooth"

😞

This issue is NOT Bluetooth specific. it also happens with wired headphones. Are wired headphones supported by Spotify?

That's a valid objection, @eladts! I passed it to the customer support.

I have testet this with wired headphones.

• Started Spotify
  • Started Waze
  • -> Message from Waze and Music from Spotify has the same volume
  • Keep Spotify running and changed to Navigon.
  • -> Message from Navigon and Spotify has the same Volume
  • Keep Spotify running and changed back to Waze
  • --> Waze and Spotify changed to low volume when Waze speaks a message.
  • Very confused

same problem with waze

Suggested posts