Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[1.0.0.70/82][0.7.9]Inaudible volume levels after notification triggers audio ducking

Solved!

[1.0.0.70/82][0.7.9]Inaudible volume levels after notification triggers audio ducking

Since the latest update on the Spotify app the music will no longer get interrupted by notifications. This functionality is far from useful when using other apps simultaneously.

Often I use Spotify in the car in combination with my GPS and an app which warns me (legally) for speed traps. Before the update Spotify briefly paused for a GPS instruction or an alarm for a speed trap, which made them clearly noticable.

The apps in this case are Sygic and FlitsNav (Dutch). They use respectively the media volume and alarm volume, both are giving problems.
- The media volume is briefly lowered when Sygic has an instruction. Because Sygic uses this volume too, the instruction volume is lowered as well. This makes that the instructions are pronounced on a lower volume than normally and let the music kick in hard again after the barely audible instructions.
- FlitsNav uses the alarm volume, the same as used for the alarm clock. Even though the warnings are noticable, they are far less clear than they used to be. This makes that this app becomes far less affective compared to a total interruption of the music.

Is there a possibility to have the music interrupted for notifications again?

Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII Mini
Android version: 4.1.2 (latest)
Spotify version: Latest update (automatically installed on April 10, 2014)
Sygic version: 13.4.2
FlitsNav version: 3.0.4

EDIT: I amended the subject/title to distinguish theis thread from http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Android/Music-interrupted-by-notification-ring/m-p/235200#U2352...

EDIT: Temporary solution here: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Android/1-0-0-70-0-7-9-Inaudible-volume-levels-after-notificati...

286 Replies

I have this issue with Google Maps. My device is Galaxy Nexus, Android 4.2. It happens both using Bluetooth and wired headphones.

The issue is not Bluetooth related. That reply really bugs me... yet another case of the "holier-than-thou", blame-the-user attitude of a buggy developer. So... is this going to fall through the cracks since it was idly (and improperly) dismissed as a "Bluetooth" issue?

As an android coder for an app that reads notifications out loud, I can tell you exactly what spotify changed, and how (with absolutely minimal dev effort) they can fix the problem.  I can tell you this because I just had to put in a patch for the app I work on to work around spotify's bug in this system.  

What they did:

When you're playing audio in Android, on the Media stream (where spotify, the app I work on, and every maps app I've tried all play), you can have the option to handle something called Audio Ducking.  You do so by doing 3 things:

1) Make one of your classes implement the android.media.AudioManager.OnAudioFocusChangeListener interface.

2) Have that class implement the onAudioFocusChange(int focusChange) method of that interface, which notifies your app when you've either gained or lost audio focus.  Audio focus is a complicated topic, too big to go into here, but suffice to say, Spotify has to implement this method to do anything (correct or not) upon another app like a Maps app playing on its stream.

3) Check for the android.media.AudioManager.AUDIOFOCUS_LOSS_TRANSIENT_CAN_DUCK integer in that method.  This is the right thing to do, as you want to duck your music down to be quiet, so the notification can play.  Previously, they only looked for android.media.AudioManager.AUDIOFOCUS_LOSS_TRANSIENT, since they didn't do anything different for ducking.  Their handling of android.media.AudioManager.AUDIOFOCUS_LOSS_TRANSIENT is totally correct, has been working for months, and still works today.  I know that it's still working because when I modified the app I work on to not allow other apps to duck, it reverts right back to the correct "pause track till the notification's done" behavior.

Where they goofed:

In whatever section of that method handles AUDIOFOCUS_LOSS_TRANSIENT_CAN_DUCK, instead of just turning down their volume, they also turned down the system media stream volume.  I know this because (and you can try this for yourselves) you can mash the volume up button as soon as the notification comes in, and both the song and the notification slide right back up to normal volume.  However, every time a new notification comes in, the volume jumps immediately back to the low level they've set it to go to whenever they notice they should duck.  You have to keep upping the volume every time, the only way this could be is if they set the volume every time.  

What they need to do to fix it:

Take out the line in their implementation of android.media.AudioManager.OnAudioFocusChangeListener.onAudioFocusChange(int focusChange) that's calling something like 

theirAudioManagerInstance.setStreamVolume(AudioManager.STREAM_MUSIC, wayTooLow, null);

It may be a slightly different variation on that call, but somewhere in there, they're messing with the volume of the media stream, and that's causing the issue.

Any questions, please respond in this thread, I'll get the e-mails.

-Scott-

as another (newly) very unhappy spotify subscriber, I have to ask -- did anyone test this?  at all?  Because it destroys the ability to use google maps navigation while playing music.

Same problems with the latest Spotify update. I cannot hear directions from Waze or Sygic.
Even I cannot hear audio notifications from other type of apps like Telegram. Hope to get a prompt fix.

Nexus 4

Spotify is lowering the volume on my workout timer, to the place I can't hear it. I read it is doing the same thing to navigation prompts. How can I stop this??

For the love of ...

This cannot have been tested properly. The feature simply doesn't work. Does it work for ANYONE? We really need Spotify to set up a Google Play beta commuinity on Google+. They can test new releases with the community there and we can revert to the non-beta release they broke something important/didn't test the release properly. 

@aandjgreen I merged your post into the relevant thread. Spotify are aware of this issue.

Unfortunately, this behaviour (of releasing the app with this kind of bug) motivates me to go try and find an app to record my key playlists to mp3's (on my PC), and copy the mp3's to to my phone for use with an app that works (or a service like Google Play Music) just so I can get this to work 😞

Out of interest are the Spotify T&Cs such that I'm allowed to do this for my personal use as a Premium subscriber? I seem to recall at some point they were cool with Premium subscribers using 3rd party products instead of their clients. They don't block Despotify for Premium subscribers, right, so Spotify are ok with Premium users being able to 'get at' the stream?

From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spotify#Third-party_clients_and_libraries

"Spotify has blocked usage of Despotify for "Free" and "Open" accounts, but those with a "Premium" account can use Despotify"

Spotify are certainly 'encouraging' me to investigate... 😞 

I'm no legal expert @user-removed but I expect this would be a breach of their T&C. First, payment to artists is based on plays and secondly, this would enable listening to their music without a subscription. Anyway, the quality after conversion from digital to analogue to digital is going to be pretty bad.

The best part is the change log on the Play Store - one of four items (one "ficticious" worthy of an honest laugh):

Fixed: Playback no longer halts for audio notifications.

So, the developers seem to have held this one up high as an accomplishment, along side completely rewriting the interface, you know, small stuff like that. Somehow, the completely new interface, with "My Music" replacing "Playlists", goes unmentioned. (maybe this was an incremental update after the big update, but...)

Given that this was big enough to make the cherry-picked change log, you'd think it'd be big enough to do some testing on. Maybe we should do some testing of our own here - does this "fix" actually work properly for anyone at all?

I kinda think that, given that adding an elementary-school-basic "repeat one" mode was big enough to elicit an email blast from Spotify touting their incredible, groundbreaking accomplishment, that SOMEONE at Spotify is holding their developers under a gun to do things that don't work well in a development sense. Like the "X" button in the PC Spotify client being "minimize", not "close", an issue that dates back as long as Spotify has been alive. Likely due to the fact that Spotify acts as a P2P client, so hey, who cares about usability and what the mere user wants, as long as the program works the way we want it to.

Test these things, guys. 6 days now, and a developer has already posted a fix in this thread... it can't be this incredibly difficult to patch a fix together for this, could it?

Final straw - I've had enough with this client - to be able to listen to music on my devices and in the car is the reason I use & pay for Spotify. Student discount expiring this month anyway. Going to see if Google Play Music is any better for the same price....

If I cancel and go to 'free' Spotify service, I don't lose my playlists if i want to go Premium again, do I?

Nope - I've gone from Premium to Google Play Music and back to Premium again. Play Music has a less extensive library and a much clumsier player (web-based) that just had me crawling, frustrated, back to Spotify despite the apps. Getting a Windows Phone kinda pushed me that way, though - the Windows Phone ecosystem seems to act like Google doesn't exist at all. The Spotify app for Windows Phone was just god-awful and buggier than sin, but I had an Android tablet that ran my Spotify tunes in the car (Bluetooth FTW). So I came back to Premium, and everything was still there. 🙂

Don't worry - this bug has probably been fixed, but we'll be waiting some time for the new version to be posted whilst it goes through "extensive quality testing" at Spotify. What a laugh :-S

Which would be a shame because this kind of is a critical bug potentially endagerings peoples live.

Any notification about trafic dangers from waze are not noticable. And if you want to use a navigator you have to look at your screen now...

This fix deserves it's own update and it can't be worse than it is right now.

I read that Spotify responds quickly on Twitter. Has anyone tweeted about this problem?

I have now canceled my Premium abo and has changed to deezer.

Deezer works well with Bluetooth, Navigon and Wazer.

Spotify is not usable for me.

Bye

FWIW, I am using a Moto X with 4.4.2, and the volume is not changed when a notification goes off or navigation instructions are read out.

The volume for all items (notifications, Spotify, and readouts) are all the same.  I wasn't sure if not ducking was intended or a bug, as the changelog only mentioned not stopping.

Ducking would be ok if it worked. But on my 100% standard unrooted Nexus 4 on 4.4.2 it winds up muting the volume all together. It doesn't get more standand than a unrooted Nexus 4 on 4.4.2 😞

Nexus 5 here on 4.4.2

Suggested posts