Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[1.0.0.70/82][0.7.9]Inaudible volume levels after notification triggers audio ducking

Solved!

[1.0.0.70/82][0.7.9]Inaudible volume levels after notification triggers audio ducking

Since the latest update on the Spotify app the music will no longer get interrupted by notifications. This functionality is far from useful when using other apps simultaneously.

Often I use Spotify in the car in combination with my GPS and an app which warns me (legally) for speed traps. Before the update Spotify briefly paused for a GPS instruction or an alarm for a speed trap, which made them clearly noticable.

The apps in this case are Sygic and FlitsNav (Dutch). They use respectively the media volume and alarm volume, both are giving problems.
- The media volume is briefly lowered when Sygic has an instruction. Because Sygic uses this volume too, the instruction volume is lowered as well. This makes that the instructions are pronounced on a lower volume than normally and let the music kick in hard again after the barely audible instructions.
- FlitsNav uses the alarm volume, the same as used for the alarm clock. Even though the warnings are noticable, they are far less clear than they used to be. This makes that this app becomes far less affective compared to a total interruption of the music.

Is there a possibility to have the music interrupted for notifications again?

Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII Mini
Android version: 4.1.2 (latest)
Spotify version: Latest update (automatically installed on April 10, 2014)
Sygic version: 13.4.2
FlitsNav version: 3.0.4

EDIT: I amended the subject/title to distinguish theis thread from http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Android/Music-interrupted-by-notification-ring/m-p/235200#U2352...

EDIT: Temporary solution here: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Android/1-0-0-70-0-7-9-Inaudible-volume-levels-after-notificati...

286 Replies

3 weeks and still no fix! Come on, folks, that is poor! In the meantime I've been fined for speeding because I couldn't hear the camera warning. That money would have bought me a couple of months of premium! Thank you, Spotify!

I'm giving Spotify's team a day to come up with a fix. Otherwise I'm unsubscribing tomorrow night before next month payment.

Sorry but not sure how this is constructive to getting the problem fixed.

That's like saying I got arrested for running someone over because my app didn't tell me someone was crossing the road...

This update coincided with getting my phone back from warranty service from HTC, so I assumed it was a problem with the phone or my setup. I've spent the last couple of weeks driving myself nuts trying to find the correct system settings / resetting my OS / reinstalling apps to get the audio to work properly.

Good to know that all along it was just Spotify doing a poor job of software engineering. Also good to know I can cancel my subscription and keep my playlists for the future while I explore less buggy apps. Thanks!

Looks like the new version they are pushing today, version 1.0.0.70, squashes this bug flat!

Tested on my Verizon Moto X on 4.4.2, ducking works flawlessly with Maps Navigation and Waze.

You can get the update immediately at http://download.spotify.com/android/SpotifyAndroid.apk

No, it doesn't.  The audio fade is still very extreme, especially when compared to Pandora or other streaming apps.  It is a little bit better, but the audio for notifications is still way to quiet, even with headphones on.

I guess I will still wait to update then... 

Just to clarify, I tested it with the new Spotify version with all possible volume controls set to max.  Notifications still quiet.  Tried it on Pandora, and the notifications were as loud as the music was before it faded.

Added bonus, my officemates think I'm nuts :).

Samsung Galaxy Note 3

T-mobile

KitKat 4.4.2 stock

The update does not fix the notification volume issue. It's still barely audible over the music. I can't believe they haven't fixed it even after people pointing it out to them and one developer spoon feeding a solution in this thread. They really need to rethink their testing strategy.

---

I am running Spotify 1.0.0.70 on HTC One M7 running KitKat 4.4.2.

I don't have the update available yet - still shows the same change log, not recently updated, no update button. But if I do get it and shiremagalore is correct, I am definitely canceling my subscription. There is absolutely no excuse for this - no developer excuses, no possible reason this very simple issue could not be fixed by now. It's plain to see how other apps implement it properly, and there is absolutely no technical reason this could not have been fixed as a minor update...

Same problem with spotify and waze.
Notifications are down with the music volume....

I'm a premium user please repair it, I always use waze and spotify on my car...

Can someone please change the version number in the title to the latest version and mark this as Unresolved? Because using an older version is clearly no solution at all.

Agreed. Still a problem in the latest version.

Can an admin change the status and the title to the new verison?

Hopefully @

@user-removed wrote:

Hopefully @

Yep, if not, I say someone creates a new thread.

Updated title to include latest version, removed the solution marker and added a link for the temporary solution into the first post. 😉

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

As many have stated the new version is still broken on my samsung s4. Not impressed spotify.

This is extremely dissapointing.  I am driving from NC to Texas tomorrow and I really hoped that this would be fixed by now.

Spotify Developers, if making it work the way you want is too complicated to fix in a timely manner, just return it to how it was.  I am fine with pausing the music so that I can hear my navigatin instructions.  This is really simple logic.  Mitigate the issue, then make the time to solve the issue.

Hello @ruchipma! You can temporarily roll back to the earlier verison using the instructions below. Just download the APK and put it in your dropbox/ google drive and install it on your phone by opening it on the phone.

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Android/1-0-0-70-0-7-9-Inaudible-volume-levels-after-notificati...

Still doesn't work.

Spotify + Waze.

Suggested posts