Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Android Auto - "getting your selection..."

Android Auto - "getting your selection..."

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

Samsung S21 Ultra / GMC Terrain (Android Auto

Operating System

Android 12

My Question or Issue

I just picked up a new 2022 GMC Terrain.  When I select a playlist, I can see the songs, but when I try to play a song, the app hangs on a screen displaying "getting your selection...".  It does not do this on the 2020 GMC Terrain that I just turned in on a lease.  Any help would be appreciated.

I did try clearing the Spotify Cache on my phone as well as delete the phone from my vehicle and re-pair it.

2022-04-11 21.47.13 Phone Link.png
15 Replies

I'm having the same issue and I also use a Samsung S21 Ultra

I'm also having the same issue on a Google Pixel 6 Pro and Skoda Scala 2019. 

Managed to get it working again by force stopping AND clearing cache on android auto and Spotify (not sure which one actually made the difference) but it's quite inconvenient to have to keep doing every time I get in the car at the moment.

Both android auto and Spotify versions are up to date, so not sure what else to do.

Same problem here!

When I try to play music from Spotify in Android Auto I get the "Getting your Selection" message and nothing happens - just like in the picture above.

Force closing Spotify does get to work once again until I stop the motor engine, then Spotify refuses to work again.

There is post in Reddit about this problem too:
https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidAuto/comments/u220xv/getting_your_selection_in_aa_if_spotify_is_open...

Galaxy Z Fold 2, Android 12, newest Spotify version, Mazda MX-5 2021.

Same here, just started happening
Google Pixel 4a, Honda e

I ended up being able to fix it by adjusting the spotify/google maps settings. I followed these instructions 

You'll need to enable playback controls manually within Google Maps. This feature works with smartphones running at least Android versions 10.43.2 or higher. Here's how to do this:

1. Open the Google Maps app, select your Profile icon (top-right corner), and go to Settings > Navigation settings.
  2. Toggle on Show media playback controls.
  3. We will use Spotify as an example. Select Spotify as your preferred media app, and tap Next on the pop-up screen.
  4. Tap OK to enable playback settings within Google Maps.
  5. To view these settings, go back to Google Maps and enter your desired location in the search bar. Tap on Start to begin navigation. You'll notice a Spotify music icon on the right, just below the Plus sign.
  6. Tap on the Spotify icon to view the controls at the bottom of the screen.

To be fair I had tried numerous things so it's also possible it was something else LOL

Sorry @Bee083 but adding media playback to Google Maps is no fix.

I don't want Spotify in Google Maps, I just want Spotify to normally play music like it did in the previous version.

Additionally this problem is related to Android Auto - and the Spotify music icon only appears in the smartphone app.

Restarting my phone resolved the issue for me. Didn't need to keep doing this (been in the car a few times today / still working)

Google Pixel 4a, Honda e

In Google Maps there is no option titled Show Media Playback Controls to toggle?

I have the same issue in my Honda Civic using my S10 phone. 

OnePlus 8T same issues. Started yesterday, 2020 Mazda MX5, today my daily 2022 Mazda 3 worked fine until I got to work. After work stopped working and same issue.

Had the same problem. S21 Ultra and a Ford Flex. 

Cleared cache on both Android Auto and Spotify, force stopped both. 

Fixed the issue. Been in the car twice since and it's still working fine. 

Same here
Help pls

The other thing that started happening around the same time is on my mobile phone, the playback controls disappeared (not when using Android Auto). They must be related though.

Hey folks,

Thank you for keeping in contact and for your messages.

We appreciate the troubleshooting tried so far. We're currently investigating this issue. 

If you didn't send it yet, include in your next response the make, model and OS version of your device, along with the Spotify version you're currently running.

In the case mentioned by @RayHChi, we've a current investigation about it as well. You can check all the information in this post. We'd recommend adding your +Vote and subscribing to it to be aware of any updates posted there. 

We'll be on the lookout. 

OscarDCModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

If you play the first song from your phone while connected via AndroidAuto. You will see the UI for the mediaplayback control and the selected song details. If you later select any songs from AndroidAuto, you will most likely see the UI instead of this string - "Getting your selection." This appears to be an issue associated with obtaining mediametadata from the player.

2022 Mazda CX-5, Samsung A50 with newest versions of Spotify and OS (ver 11). Have tried clearing cache on all apps, rebooting, removing my phone as a device in the car settings, reconnecting bluetooth, removing Spotify completely and reinstalling. I've tried everything I can think of and I'm still stuck. My PlexAmp works just fine so it's definitely not a signal or general streaming issue. Called Mazda and they told me to take it to the dealer. Ugh.

Suggested posts