Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Android Widget Removal

Solved!

Android Widget Removal

We’re here to let you know that we are retiring the Spotify Widget for Android this week. 

We always take retiring features in Spotify very seriously. We’re pouring our energy into new ways of creating the best experience for our users.

You can still easily access the same playback features as well as information about what is playing through the Spotify playback notification and device lockscreen.

Screen Shot 2019-08-08 at 12.49.40 PM.png

To access the playback controls on Android simply swipe down while you are using Spotify to access the controls.

Screen Shot 2019-08-08 at 12.49.48 PM.png

If you’re interested in learning more about how the app evolves, check out our article about testing and why features change.

We’re also welcome to feedback from our users. The best way to give us feedback to is to write an Idea in our Idea Exchange

Thanks!

518 Replies

For what possible reason would you do this? I've already dealt with frustrations with your app's poor functioning and unintuitive behavior and now this?

What a TERRIBLE decision. I used the widget countless times everyday. Your proposed solution isn't working for me. With so many competitors this is the kind of short-sided decision that makes it easy for me to switch to Google, Apple, Amazon, etc. 

Bring back the widget or you are losing this customer. 

Lock screen controls NEVER work properly. That's why I used the widget. This is a really stupid decision and there's no reason to have removed it.

So many recent updates and changes have been for worse.

We aren't happy with the decision for removing the widget without our knowledge Spotify. And to be sarcastic, I'm gonna be moving to Apple Music. Have a nice day 🙂

Such a bad idea, I love having widgets on my home screen. Removing options is never a good look for any company. Please change this or in going to bring my whole family else where. 

Why ever remove a feature? Improve it yes but unless you're deciding to screw with your customers it never makes to remove a feature people have been using on a daily basis. Now I will just be shopping for alternative services and considering options. Thanks Spotify!

Es un insulto a tus usuarios eliminar el widget.

Ahorita voy a probar Apple music y si tiene widget cancelo ahorita mismo mi suscripción.

Screenshot_2019-08-12-20-06-00-453_com.miui.home.png

Removing the widget is a terrible move. From my main screen I could control my music, without any other steps. 

Maybe now it's time to use Google play music more. 

Give us back the widget for Android or you will have one less premium subscriber. I'll gladly go back to my personal collection of music. Controlling player with notification is terrible is if you pause or stop the music notification disappears. It is more convenient if you have a dedicated widget to control your music.

Really hate this. If the widget doesn't come back I will probably take my service somewhere else. I've been using premium for about 6 years. 

This is a terrible idea.  The swipe down option is not fluid and painless.  Please bring back the widget or risk losing another premium subscriber.

I really need the widget back. Can't it be made optional to have the widget or not? I honestly can't understand why it would be taken away. 

I joined spotify hesitantly but was really impressed in the end but honestly I think not having a widget might make me think about not renewing my account and joining another streaming service. 

Please bring it back!!!!!  I dont want to have to recreate all my playlists on another app. (Sigh of disappointment) 

Why remove widget... It was just wonderfull om my phone, easy access to program... Bring it back plz

i used this feature everyday. multiple times a day. ill give spotify a few days to come to their senses and put the widget back. otherwise ill move on to a different streaming service.

even apple music has a widget for android and apple is known for being simplistic without widgets

I don't get it, as both an user and a developer. It's completely pointless to remove a well used feature and give absolutely NOTHING in return. I can't start my playback from the notifications menu, not to mention it adds a new swipe to make it work, which makes the UX more labourous.

In my own user case, I have a custom launcher that launches whenever I connect to my car, where all my info is laid on the homescreen, in a neat and easy-to-use way, and the Spotify widget was almost a center piece to it. What is the Spotify Team gonna suggest me, use another app for this?

If so, consider ALL major and relevant competitors have widgets. If this feature doesn't come back, I'll highly consider going back to Google Music. 

thanks i hate not having it

"To access the playback controls on Android simply swipe down while you are using Spotify to access the controls." Why am I only able to access the playback controls when I am using Spotify. What about when I am NOT using Spotify. Force me to open the app before I am able to start my music. wth?

This is quite possibly the most boneheaded decision you could make. What was the point of this? Bring back the widget noobs....

Unsunscribing to Spotify now.. subscribing to G play now...

Widget comming back, im comming back....

So byebye Spotify...

If you change this let med know...

Very very bad idea, what's wrong with you people?

Suggested posts