Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Android Widget Removal

Solved!

Android Widget Removal

We’re here to let you know that we are retiring the Spotify Widget for Android this week. 

We always take retiring features in Spotify very seriously. We’re pouring our energy into new ways of creating the best experience for our users.

You can still easily access the same playback features as well as information about what is playing through the Spotify playback notification and device lockscreen.

Screen Shot 2019-08-08 at 12.49.40 PM.png

To access the playback controls on Android simply swipe down while you are using Spotify to access the controls.

Screen Shot 2019-08-08 at 12.49.48 PM.png

If you’re interested in learning more about how the app evolves, check out our article about testing and why features change.

We’re also welcome to feedback from our users. The best way to give us feedback to is to write an Idea in our Idea Exchange

Thanks!

518 Replies

Terrible move spotify.

The android community thrives on widgets, they are right there when you need them.

But now you're just a boring music app again...

Bad dog spotify... bad dog.

Bring the widget back!

I know that’s asking a lot but I believe in you and your ability to undo a stupid decsion and give the communtity back what they want.

how does this make the app better?  even pandora has a widget.

solution via reddit, but a total pain in the **bleep** to update all your apps manually.  Thanks spotify! ...

Found the apk for the most recent update that still has the widget for those who prefer all their features. No root needed, be sure to uninstall your current app and disable automatic updating in the google play store.

Enjoy https://spotify.en.uptodown.com/android/download/2081681

"We're setting this idea to 'Not Right Now', as this isn't something we have any immediate plans to reintroduce. We appreciate you sharing your thoughts."

Translation:

"Screw you customers, we don't actually care what you want. This is our product, and we'll do what we want with it. If you don't like it then **bleep** off!"

My response? Gladly 🙂

Whoever came up with this idea should be fired. 

Are you trying to make us use something else???

This is one of the most heavily used features of the entire application!

I can't believe you removed this. Removing features many of us utilize is just awesome. Now we get to go through additional hoops to utilize the drop down.

I just did a Google search on this because my widget stopped working and I attempted to re-add it but didn't find it as an available option.  I went out of my way to research this only to find that it was purposeful.  This shows I care about it. I am actually angry about this.  Are you trying to dumb things down to the iOS level? 

My premium family account is not a happy customer.  We're not under contract here, it's real easy to move on to the next streaming service, you know, one with a proper Android widget. Reconsider, and quickly.

I use this widget all the time. I can see what music was playing the last time and can decide to continue, or choose another playlist by tapping the album art in the widget. I never open the Spotify app by its icon.

The notification bar only appears when the app is active, so instead of having a single way of interacting with the app, I am now forced to use two seperate methods. Start the app through the icon from a home-screen or from the app drawer, and when it's running use the notification bar.

I don't like this at all.

This is just dumb. You just **** every android customer you have. If in 1 week this is not back I will remove my subscription and change to another app.

Any explanation?

First you remove history list of played song (which wasn't perfect), now yoy remove widget. And you still can call that "improving" .

You realise that notification screen is usually full of other stuff, and many people don't even acess their lockscreens when using e.g. fingerprint unlock. And it's there only when you play music.

Please write what other apps do you recommend?

Why on Earth would you remove a perfectly functional part of the app.  Yes, yes, the notification area is a way to interact with Spotify but it is rather buggy.  The widget was such a clean experience.  I am super excited to see that Amazon Music has the widget functionality and same family plan pricing.  See ya Spotify.  It's been real.Perfectly working Amazon Music widgetPerfectly working Amazon Music widget

Screenshot_20190813-075803_Nova Launcher.jpg

Please bring back the widget feature! It's how I primarily use Spotify.

Someone should get fired for**bleep**.

I hate that this was removed. I use it every single day. Hoping that you bring it back. Not understanding why it was removed in the first place, especially for paying customers. Please add it back ASAP.

I use this in my car on the android tablet mounted to my dashboard.

If I die because of this, it's on you. :'(

This is the straw that broke the camel's back for me. I'll be talking to my family about switching to Deezer later today. I liked Spotify when I first found it, but I can't think of an "update" that wasn't a downgrade since I've been here (almost 3 years). There's no reason to stick around when the company clearly isn't concerned with improving the user experience.

Don't forget to leave a review on the app store!

I was fortunate enough to read this via news before my app updated to this broken version. I have disable the auto-update feature for this app so I can keep using the widget. I suggest other people try and do the same if they haven't been updated yet.

Also I'd like to mention that the update notes for the app are utterly useless. All it basically says is: "we updated stuff". So you are removing a feature I that I use constantly, and many more people like me it seems, but never mention this in the update notes.

I have been using this widget all day every day since it first came out! I don't like having to use the dropdown, it's not always there. Now I have a blank page on my phone... Not a good idea. Please bring it back!!!

How about a much regarded feature is just given back to us without making the community jump through hoops. 

Just cancelled my premium subscription. Started a plan with Google play music. Guess what, they have a great widget! Everyone should give it a try.

This will be an excellent test to see how much Spotify respects their customers.

Tick tock Spotify. 

We are watching and waiting for our widget weturning. 💚 JFDI xxx

Suggested posts