Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Android Widget Removal

Solved!

Android Widget Removal

We’re here to let you know that we are retiring the Spotify Widget for Android this week. 

We always take retiring features in Spotify very seriously. We’re pouring our energy into new ways of creating the best experience for our users.

You can still easily access the same playback features as well as information about what is playing through the Spotify playback notification and device lockscreen.

Screen Shot 2019-08-08 at 12.49.40 PM.png

To access the playback controls on Android simply swipe down while you are using Spotify to access the controls.

Screen Shot 2019-08-08 at 12.49.48 PM.png

If you’re interested in learning more about how the app evolves, check out our article about testing and why features change.

We’re also welcome to feedback from our users. The best way to give us feedback to is to write an Idea in our Idea Exchange

Thanks!

518 Replies

But why? What is the reason to remove it? Does it cause a wider issue nobody is aware of? I now have to redesign my home screen to fix the massive hole you left. Or maybe I'll just cancel my subscription and get Tidal instead. They support their artists, their shuffle feature works and they have a widget.

The app randomly stops running on me at times, and when that happens, the
notification they are hoping we all use goes away. Good golly miss Molly!

Send an email to support@spotify.com. they responded with 30 minutes to me.

How does taking away a feature used EVERY DAY by users seem like a good idea?? SO many of your users including myself are extremely upset at the removal of this widget for Android.

I have the Google Pixel 2, and my app DOESN'T SHOW A PLAYER ON THE DROP DOWN MENU. So now, I have ZERO play function outside the app.

Regardless of how you update your app moving forward, users desperately need something to replace this.

Good gravy, 2 pages since I posted half an hour ago. But seriously, that feature was the only thing that tethered me to Spotify. This removal sounds like the most amateurish thing to do, like a dev was like "hey, this widget is getting in the way of x feature" and he got the response of "ah they'll never notice, just remove it" I have been paying for Spotify since 2013, and this seriously makes me regret the last year of payment. 

I thought I was paying for the betterment of the app, not for you to remove useful features

Yes, keep removing features, good idea, real solid. I was using the widget daily! 

Removing the Widget is pointless. Having less features makes your app less desirable. If people dont like the Widget, they dont have to use it. But lots of people did. This is making me seriously consider switching to Google Music.

Get your act together.

Swipe down from controls screen? From the mobile app? Not working.

This is a HORRIBLE idea.  More taps to get to the control, not as visible on my home screen (which is bad for your Marketing), and doesn't show up in the notification bar if the app isn't running.

I've voted for the "idea" - but it shouldn't be an "idea" to leave well enough alone.  Just put it back - I use the widget every day.

This is the second time I've lowered the grade of Spotify on Google Play because your upgrades are more and more ridiculous. I feel there's no response, no reaction fron Spotify. The new organisation of the library was utterly stupid 2 months ago, I still haven't got used to it and now the widget... What's more, SpotifyCares on Twitter keeps giving two solutions, neither of them is working. This is becoming really annoying when you've been a Premium user for 6 years. 

What is the message you're taking away from the feedback?

Why would you get rid of a useful feature and provide an alternative that's less usable, requires more taps to get to, and removes your app's presence from everyone's home screen?

The removal of the widget makes absolutely no sense at all.  Almost every single person I know with Spotify on Android uses it. 

I can only guess it was removed to make the code more similar between different OSes, but that doesn't change how bad of a change it is.  Make improvements like allowing us to folder sort artists by genre and the like.  Stop taking stuff away.

This was an unbelievably short-sighted change.

I used the widget almost constantly and to have it suddenly removed with no warning and no good reason is really...dumb.

And honestly, has me searching for another service to replace Spotify for the first time.

Just put it back.

And in their arrogence they are just ignoring the outrage. They said go vote... and then are just ignoring it. Seriously. I think I might need to cancel my paid subscription if they dont bring this back.

This isn't OK. What purpose did it serve to remove it? It's a de-evolution not an evolution to do this.

No.... swiping down isn't convenient if the app isn't already open. 

What screaming lunatic decided it would be a good idea to remove something so useful?

Meanwhile I found this app pretty useful 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kissdevs.kdmusicwidget

You can have a widget and link it with Spotify app. 

Maybe someone know of another one ? This one is pretty cool and it's free. 

So removing the widget helps increase the development time on other features? Does that mean Android can expect the swipe to queue feature that's been on iPhone for what 5 years now!?

No widget, no 15€/m.

...No salery for stupid product managers

How about we all subscribe to Google Play Music? They have a widget that
will not be removed at all. LOL xD

Suggested posts