Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Android app being auto-killed/crashing

Solved!

Android app being auto-killed/crashing

Phone: Moto G (1st gen). Online and offline mode.

Since last week or so (perhaps since the last update), the spotify app for android has been being auto-killed regularly, especially when I try to do anything else on the phone. I never used to have any issues but now I can only listen without doing anything else. It also happens much more frequently when I have no signal (underground) unless I turn on airplane mode. Does the latest update cause much more cpu/memory use to cause android to auto-kill it to try to do something more important?

I've also noticed recently (about the same time) that tracks will often play without sound - the track timer moves forwards but I get no sound unless I skip to another track.

Anybody else experienced this, are there known issues/fixes for this?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

A clean install didn't help me. Any chance you have any advice for this specific problem?

View solution in original post

25 Replies

Hi there and welcome to the Spotify Community.

What you're telling about the cpu/memory use seems legit. Apps keep using more memory or cpu. Not Spotify in particular, but if another app wants to use memory, it can kill Spotify. When you don't have signal, the phone keeps looking for signal, which causes a higher CPU usage. I think the CPU is the problem in here, but I'm not quite sure.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask
Kind regards,
Felix

-- Please mark as solution and/or add kudos if it helped you --

Please read the guide linked below for details on the most common issues and how to fix them. Usually a clean install is the first step to take and resolves most of the usual issues; the guide details the steps to take to ensure a full 'clean installation' is achieved.

[GUIDE] How to fix common issues for Spotify on Android

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

Here's the fix they sent me:
This worked for me 🙂

"url removed for security reasons"

Spotify keeps crushing my android phone, when I am playing a recorded song. My phone turns off and tells me it experienced a loss of signal

Did you work out a fix for this in the end? I'm having exactly this problem (with spotify closing whilst I'm using the phone for other stuff - but fine when I just leave it)
Marked as solution

A clean install didn't help me. Any chance you have any advice for this specific problem?

I think this might be the same error that I interpreted as the widget crashing.

Out of curiosity, do you have Spotify set to offline when this happens? (No idea if this is why, fishing in the dark here).

Same Problem on Samsung Galaxy S6

Same here on Samsung Galaxy S6

@Himanshu_1 wrote:
Same here on Samsung Galaxy S6

Samsung users - Please disable the power saver feature in your phone settings. This is the main cause of problems and only appears to affect Samsung devices.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

My samsung galaxy s6 active spotify app is crashing. I open the app and try to do anything even get the menu to pop up. It crashes. I can't listen to music nothing. Can any one help? I've cleared cash, uninstalled l/ reinstalled. Restarted phone, cleared all cache on phone stopped other apps from running. And nothing, still crashes every time I try to do anything. Please help.

The exact same problem since a few days ago on my galaxy s2 tab

I figured mine out. I had my display set to "right to left". Once I switched it, everything when back to normal. Look for anything that puts any type of restrictions on your phone. Certain things will cause the app to crash.

Hey Jediwolf69!

Thanks alot! I had the feeling it has to do with that.

The only thing is that my language setting are set to hebrew(my mother tongue)

So in order to change display sides i had to change to english settings, 

Any solution for keeping my hebrew setting and just change to "left to right" display ?

*i use galaxy s2 tablet

Thanks alot!

Not on my samsung, music still crashes ,nothing seems to help so far, getting desperate. Need nt tunes 

Also same problem on Samsung S6

Hi,

I'm using Android app since a few months without any kind of problem.

But today the music suddently stopped. I had a look to my tablet and I noticed that the Spotify app crashed and was "closed".

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Tab A with android 5.1.1 and without power saving.

Could you fix that in an upcoming new version of spotify?

thanks! (if someone can tell me how to fix that without waiting in vain I'm here to hear you 🙂

I'm having this problem on My S6 edge. After a while it will says something like "the app is not responding" I've been having this problem for a long time.

I am having a similar problem. It mainly seems to mess up when the widget
and the regular app are both running. I'm not sure if this is your issue as
well. I got the widget to turn off (not exactly sure what I did to do that,
but it's off) then the app stopped crashing. It just seems to take up to
much running memory when they are both running, so if you can close one,
that might help.

Suggested posts