Android app being auto-killed/crashing

Solved!

Android app being auto-killed/crashing

bencoder

Phone: Moto G (1st gen). Online and offline mode.

Since last week or so (perhaps since the last update), the spotify app for android has been being auto-killed regularly, especially when I try to do anything else on the phone. I never used to have any issues but now I can only listen without doing anything else. It also happens much more frequently when I have no signal (underground) unless I turn on airplane mode. Does the latest update cause much more cpu/memory use to cause android to auto-kill it to try to do something more important?

I've also noticed recently (about the same time) that tracks will often play without sound - the track timer moves forwards but I get no sound unless I skip to another track.

Anybody else experienced this, are there known issues/fixes for this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution!

Re: Android app being auto-killed/crashing

Mo_Si
Casual Listener
A clean install didn't help me. Any chance you have any advice for this specific problem?
25 Replies

Flixx
Community Legend
Hi there and welcome to the Spotify Community.

What you're telling about the cpu/memory use seems legit. Apps keep using more memory or cpu. Not Spotify in particular, but if another app wants to use memory, it can kill Spotify. When you don't have signal, the phone keeps looking for signal, which causes a higher CPU usage. I think the CPU is the problem in here, but I'm not quite sure.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask
Kind regards,
Felix

-- Please mark as solution and/or add kudos if it helped you --

Daniel
Community Legend

Please read the guide linked below for details on the most common issues and how to fix them. Usually a clean install is the first step to take and resolves most of the usual issues; the guide details the steps to take to ensure a full 'clean installation' is achieved.

[GUIDE] How to fix common issues for Spotify on Android

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

jonathaniv-4

Here's the fix they sent me:
This worked for me :)

"url removed for security reasons"

Dnaideck
Spotify keeps crushing my android phone, when I am playing a recorded song. My phone turns off and tells me it experienced a loss of signal

Mo_Si
Casual Listener
Did you work out a fix for this in the end? I'm having exactly this problem (with spotify closing whilst I'm using the phone for other stuff - but fine when I just leave it)
Solution!

Mo_Si
Casual Listener
A clean install didn't help me. Any chance you have any advice for this specific problem?

navaira
Roadie

I think this might be the same error that I interpreted as the widget crashing.

Out of curiosity, do you have Spotify set to offline when this happens? (No idea if this is why, fishing in the dark here).

BSP1
Same Problem on Samsung Galaxy S6

Himanshu_1
Same here on Samsung Galaxy S6
SUGGESTED POSTS