Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Android library has changed completely

Android library has changed completely

Yesterday everything was fine. My Android library looked very similar to the Desktop version. I could go to Songs, pick an artist and listen to any song I saved. Today, for no apparent reason, my library is gone, and got replaced with a simplified version which only has "Playlists", "Artists", and "Albums", but none of them include the songs I saved before. There's a "Songs you like" playlist which has them, but they are not organized. My friends still have the old version. What happened? If this is some kind of beta testing program, I want to opt out of it. I want my library back. And please, don't tell me I'm using Spotify the wrong way. I don't need to be told how to use the app. I'm the kind of guy who listens to the same albums and songs over and over again. Randomly changing half of your app features completely without any user interaction is, in my opinion, a terrible decision. Please, tell me there's a way to rollback this, or I'll have to leave the platform for good, and I really don't want to.

5 Replies

It is the new update they are rolling out. Most people seem angry ( me too) about them getting rid of standard music app features like the song list and a proper artist page. I find the android app now unusable. 

They seem to be standing firm by this **bleep** choice so far. Iv had this update since the weekend and have been very vocal about it on these forums (as are most) and also with their support. 

Hopefully they get their heads checked and decide to give us the bare basics of a music app back. Can't get over that.... a music app...with NO music list....pure stupidity.

Hey @MaxShadow & @Deadjim, welcome to the Community.
Hope you're doing great!

Could you check this Spotify Answer to see if that helps?

Let me know how that goes 🙂

Thanks for the heads up, but that's really not a solution, it's an explanation of how it works, which I already figured out after poking around a bit with the new interface. I really don't see how this new layout will benefit users, it just forces them to use playlists to keep stuff organized, which is apparently what the team behind Spotify wants. To my eyes, this is a downgrade.

Before the update I could just keep listening to new songs, and save the ones I found cool. They would be nicely organized in my library without having to do anything else. Now all those songs are stored in a single playlist, I have to filter/search for the songs I want. Before I could just say "hey, today I want to listen to the very few songs I have from this album", or maybe random shuffled songs from this artist. But now I have to create a Playlist for every album and every artist I want. Sure, I could just like the album or artist, but maybe I don't want all the songs, and also adding the album is an extra step when I could just like the songs I wanted. And the worst of all, the "artists" section doesn't work offline.

You really want us to use the playlists, but in my opinion they are not very useful because they are not organized. Every playlist is at the same level. So I could have a playlist that has all the songs from a band, or all the songs from an album, or a few random songs I like, and they are all the same, even tho they represent different things. Having everything automatically organized is a basic feature in pretty much every music player app. This new UI is dissappointing to be honest.

What the... one of my comments got deleted for no reason. 
There it is.

Hey @Deadjim & @MaxShadow,

I am not a Spotify employee.

They're always testing and launching improvements and new features. However, if you guys don't like the new look, please head over to this idea and add your +VOTE. You can always add your own input in the comments there as well 🙂

If you'd like more info on how the Ideas Exchange works, check more here.

Thanks 🙂 

Suggested posts