Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

App Will Not Launch

App Will Not Launch

Plan - Premium

Country - USA

Device - Motorola Xoom

Operating System - Android 4.1.2

Spotify Version - 8.5.4.770

My Question or Issue

After I launch the app, it tries to load for a few seconds, then kicks me back to the home screen.

The OS is as up-to-date as possible on a non-rooted device, and it meets the Spotify system requirements (Android 4.1 or above).  I tried all other basic suggestions offered, including clearing cache, data, reinstalling, etc.  I even did a factory reset of the device and tried it all again.  No dice.

Additionally, the lack of a real support ticket system demonstrates that Spotify as a company places no value on customer success.  I am paying $10/month for... what, exactly?

13 Replies

Hey @jonarmani thanks for reaching out to the Spotify Community,

I know it sounds simple, but it's often overlooked. Could you try restarting your device? If that doesn't help, try a quick clean reinstall of the app. Just follow these steps.

If you're still having trouble, could you let me know the exact version of Spotify and the exact version of the operating system you're running?

I'll see what I can suggest next!

Jack 🙂

I restarted without luck. I also followed the directions to clean reinstall (though this device has no file manager so I essentially did the Android 6.0+ steps to reinstall), another reboot, and still the issue persists.

See my original post for app & OS versions.

Hey again,

If you can, can you try clearing your cache/data, on your device. You can do so by following these steps:

1. Open the Settings of your phone.
  2. Tap the Storage heading to open its settings page. ...
  3. Tap the Other Apps heading to see a list of your installed apps.
  4. Find the application you want to clear the cache of and tap its listing.
  5. Tap the Clear cache button.

Also I will like a video on how do clear the cache.

Let me know how it goes,

Jack 🙂

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-PeUOLLk0s 

Since the app has never been able to successfully launch on this device, there is no cache to clear.  Amount of cache is 0MB, and therefore the "clear cache" button is grayed out.  This did not help me.

Hey again,

I am just gonna throw this out, but is your device up to date software wise. If its not I would make sure you have the latest update for your system.

Jack

Yes, the device is as up to date as it can be.  When I check for system updates, it reports that it is up to date.

Could it simply be an account issue, if you can try a different account and see if it works.

That doesn't make sense, as I've never provided any account to the app.  I do this:

1. Download app from Play Store
  2. Launch
  3. Crash

Hey @jonarmani I reached out to the Moderation team and we wanted to have you try some of the following:

• Try different connection, WiFi & 3G/4G
  • There is a minimum of 500MB of free space. 
  • If there are any cache-clearing, task killing or battery optimization apps on the device, make sure Spotify is set as an exception.
  • The device isn't rooted.
  • If there's an SD card on their Android device, it's formatted as portable and isn't encrypted. If possible, try another SD card or installing again the app without one.

Let me know if none of these work,

Jack 🙂

I've tried them all.

And did anything work?

No

Hey @jonarmani.

Thanks for confirming that, and apologies for the delay!

We recently had an issue with Android 5.0 which could have also affected older versions of Android. Do you mind updating to Spotify version 8.5.6 and seeing if that solves it for you?

If you're still having trouble launching the app after this, let us know and we'll look into it.

Thanks!

Suggested posts