Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Autoplay not working

Autoplay not working

Plan

Premium

Device

Samsung Galaxy a52s

Operating System

Android

My Question or Issue

Autoplay doesn't work, have tried all the fixes on here and on google but none work.

It worked fine on my old iphone and every other device

Yes autoplay is turned on

Top Answer
Yordan
78 Replies

Hi @Bobmugabe,

Thanks for posting on the Community.

We suggest that you log out everywhere. You'll find this option by scrolling down here. Afterwards, restart your PC and let us know if the issue persists. 

Additionally, tell us if this happens when logging in with another account. 

We'll be on the lookout for your reply. 

AndresMModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
"Music touches us emotionally, where words alone can't." -Henry Thoreau

Hi,

I logged out of Spotify on my phone and tablet, cleared the storage for the app as well so that all data is wiped and as if I never had logged in.

I unlinked my account in the Google Home app as well.

I then logged out of the Spotify desktop app and performed a reset on it as well to clear all data.

Used the log out of everywhere option as mentioned and rebooted my PC as well as all my Google speakers.

Once everything had rebooted, I logged in again and loaded up a mix. 50 songs appeared in the playlist and once it had played through all the music stopped and the same 50 songs loaded up in the playlist ready to play. Same order.

I created a new free account and same issue. Stopped playing at the end of the playlist and loaded up the same songs.

I'll test it again tomorrow but I don't think there has been a change based on above.

The Autoplay options are still enabled.

Hi,

I have done some testing and the Autoplay feature still does not work for me on automatically generated mixes and artist radio stations.

I have a small playlist that I made with about 20 songs on it, once they finish playing then Autoplay works for it and plays similar songs.

Dear Spotify Team,

I can confirm that there is nothing to do with the track selected, which device it is nor how time zone would affect autoplay. It is from your end. If autoplay works properly, we could see upcoming song cues when pressing the lower right cue botton, not just the currently selected song. I will leave the subscription lapses on 13 May and use Apple Music instead. This is fundamental function. How can you leave it unresolved for a long time. Do it quick like you resolve the problem of lyrics framed with rectangular frame within just one week. 

Yeah, agree. Autoplay function is a MUST. But no way to make it work. Let's
try other options. Amazon Music is good for me, as I use Alexa.

It's july 2022 and this is still a problem. Here I was giving spotify another chance, and elated that this issue seemingly went away only for it to return. No difference if it's a different account, switching wi-fi networks, or anything like that. A pattern i've noticed is that the notification prompt needs to be accepted upon install for autoplay to work at ALL on this device. Then it works until i close the app, and stops. If I go in the settings and toggle "autoplay for this device" off and back on, it will work.... until I close the app. 

Support chat told me that this was a hardware problem with my iPhone and my phone needs repairing... seriously how much more can you diffuse responsibility? That is incredibly frustrating and insulting. Like, beyond words. I'm PAYING YOU MONEY for your service, it's your job to fix it spotify, not to blame my phone. Other users are clearly having the same problem, did we all just conveniently break our phones in the same way... with it only affecting ONE feature of ONE app? There's really no conceivable way it's a glitch in the APP??

I was so ready to give spotify another chance because, lets face it, they did a great job of cornering the market and the competition sucks. I would really love to see something from the brass about this. Anything. ANY indication that a dev team is working to address this issue or even cares beyond saying "can you reinstall and log back in :-)" I'm so tired of this being a constant issue. 

I came here to find an answer, but all I found was a bunch of other people with exactly the same problem, and Spotify doing exactly nothing to help.

How many years do people have to not get what they are paying for before you will fix a problem that is very obviously on the Spotify side?

Hey Spotify, it would be great if you would answer because it's really getting annoying. The issue is still there on my iPhone and iPad, it even got worse; I have to off/on the autoplay toggle for every song now. I have a screen recording of it happening put I can't seem to send it here.

It's been almost 5 months from my previous reply and there's still nothing to fix this to date.  I'm confident that this is not from users' end

Same exact issue, Samsung A20... Not that it seems the device matters at all. I came from YouTube Music and am seriously considering returning if this and a couple other issues (eg, Spotify won't play with SD cards) aren't resolved. 

So this is probably put as 'not right now' just like the thread of 'recently played not updating.'  The issue is addressed but unable to give an exact timeline for a fix?  This is half a year already, I think.

Hey Spotify, this is still an issue for me (and has been for many months). It would be great if you could give some update on the debugging/fixing. From the outside it looks like you have just ignored the problem because you don't have any clue what's causing it.

I have tried all the suggestions in this thread (apart from transferring my account). The only thing working is turning the autoplay off and on again and restarting the app. But even then it only works for a while.

App version: 8.7.84.382

Device: OnePlus Nord N10 5G

Plan: Premium

At first, I thought it is hardware issue (I use iPhone and iPad, which autoplay don't work but it does on MacBook and laptop pc).  I recently installed Plum and to my surprise autoplay works like normal.  So I am certain that this is the software issue occurred from Spotify end.  Maybe they just can't locate where to fix properly.

A few days ago, I made a clean install of newly released iOS 16.2 on my iPhone 12 Pro Max and reinstalled every app from the scratch including Spotify, which is now at version 8.7.92.521.  I then tested autoplay for nearly two full days, play songs from search only and, to my surprise, autoplay functioned properly now.  No unexpected stop after the first song finished playing at all.  I believe this has nothing to do with neither the clean install nor the update of iOS 16.2 but the update of Spotify itself.

I'm happy to say autoplay does work now but I really want to know what's the cause of this long overdue issue.  It stops working on my iPhone for nearly 9 months.  Don't know if android users get autoplay back to normal but I wanna know about iOS users.  Does autoplay work for you now?  Thank Spotify anyway for addressing this even though it takes a bit long.

On Android with Spotify 8.7.92.521 I still have problems with autoplay. However, I found out that turning off Android's app level battery optimisation for Spotify makes it work a lot better.

You can do this from Settings -> Apps and notifications -> Spotify -> Advanced -> Battery
and changing "Intelligent Control" to "Don't optimise".

Any update on this one @spotify?

Anyone find a fix for this? It keeps happening to me and I have no idea why. Super annoying. 

I’ve just bought the new Apple Watch series 9 and when I installed Spotify and started using the app to control the music on my phone autoplay stopped immediately working and now it doesn’t work at all even if I’m connected to the Apple Watch

Having the same issues with my account. On my other accounts, autoplay works perfectly, but on my main account, it doesnt work. I don't want to transfer my account as I would lose my history and recommendations. Please fix this as it's on your side.

Suggested posts