Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Autoplay on Android

Autoplay on Android

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

Samsung Galaxy s9, Kindle Fire HD8

Operating System

Android Oreo

My Question or Issue

Despite turning Autoplay "OFF," Spotify on Android automatically starts song radio for any song selected from search. This is annoying, but acceptable. This becomes egregious when selecting a song plays a completely different song based on the one you selected because of song radio.

This happens mostly with songs I have selected many times in the past from Search. Songs that have not previously been played will play correctly when selected, but Autoplay will still function following the track selected, even when the function is turned off.

Going through all the motions of logging out/in, restarting the device, uninstalling/reinstalling the app does nothing to fix the issue. This never occurs on Mac desktop or iOS. Why does the autoplay function continue to work after turning the option off? 

2 Replies

Hey @nicegold, welcome to the Community!

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with this. We'll do our best to help though 🙂

How long has this been going on for? Did it start happening after an app or OS update? Does this happen if you have the Replay to replay all?

Also, when you reinstalled, did you follow these exact steps?

Let us know how it goes.

Hey Sergio! Thank you for your reply. This issue is also being discussed in this thread here: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoing-Issues/Spotify-plays-radio-based-song-when-i-search-for-a-s... The issue has been going on for some time, as I've had live chats with some Spotify CS representatives for the last few weeks trying to get to the bottom of it. I've been a premium user for years on iOS, but switched to Android in May and have been experiencing this issue ever since. Unfortunately I don't have an exact date on it, but this issue and the Spotify Offline issue seemed to show up simultaneously (there are many threads covering that topic in the Android Community page as well). Uninstalling as described does not resolve this issue. I've attached screenshots of results when searching for "Precious" by Depeche Mode. This is a song I've listened to numerous times, which informs the Song Radio algorithm to start a different song when selected based off "Precious." When selecting a different song that I don't select as often, such as "Precious Possession" by Anna Wise, the correct song plays but Song Radio is automatically started, even with Autoplay turned off. Please see screenshots attached in ZIP folder.

Suggested posts